PDA

View Full Version : About 2 more weeks till I go get a new quad the only ? is...

JourneyMan
02-12-2003, 12:05 AM
Ive been debateing on a 300ex, mojave, or blaster. Ive ruled out the 300ex because i dont want to spend that much for a SOHC air cooled bike, and Im leaning torrawds the blaster because it would be easier maintinence and people say the Mojave sucks. I ride on trails mainly and there are some open fields where I ride. And im only 150 lbs 5ft 5in. Im a Honda and Kawasaki person myself but blasters cant be that bad can they? I know Honda people and Yamaha people dont get along well and tend to debate alot.

Honda300ex
02-12-2003, 12:59 AM
I would go with the blaster. It is easy to maintaine like you said it is also the fastest out of them. I have a 300ex it is very good for putting around in woods and not really going onto strait aways. I am looking for a blaster so i have a bike for both purposes ;)

200xer
02-12-2003, 03:05 AM
So that's why I fight with myself a lot, I have a Honda and Yamie :) If you want a low maintenance machine that is good from the factory go for the 300ex. If you like upgrading and don't mind doing some work go blaster. I'd stay away from Mojave, just my opinion.

ATCkrazy
02-12-2003, 09:09 AM
My rule is, if it's name ends with " A"(honda yamaha) it's o.k., if ends with "I"(kawasaki suzuki) I dont want it.

TravEX
02-12-2003, 12:53 PM
journeyman, what is your age, size, and riding style/places?

how much are you looking to spend?

thsi can really help us to give you good feedback,,,

later

Travis

JourneyMan
02-12-2003, 03:22 PM
Well im 19 years old, im 5ft 5in, 155lbs, I do trail riding and some open field riding, powerlines, and some sand pit riding. I want something that can go around 60 and that is easy to maintain. also something that has alot of performance parts.

TravEX
02-12-2003, 03:24 PM
look at a 400EX, they're cheap now cause of all the other sport quads coming out, and you can prolly get a good financing deal too,,,and,,,the maintanence is a no-brainer,,,aftermarket parts are very plentiful and cheap, (i'm about to put a 440 kit in mine for big gains, and it's only gonna cost about $450 labor and parts),,,they are bulletproof, a blast to ride, good power, great suspension (for a stock quad), and they look cool (IMO),,,later

if your 19, i would think your too big to be loking at a Mohave or Blaster, that's my opinion,,,no offense intended,,,

the 300EX is a good quad, but your gonna be begging for more power,,,

I'm trying to post a pic of mine, but it won't let me,,,

later

Travis

ATC crazy
02-12-2003, 08:25 PM
I would go w/ the 300ex. It has plenty of aftermarket companies for hop-ups (330cc kit) to make it go faster. It will also be a lot easier to maintain and it will definately outlast the other 2 machines. The yamaha wouldn't be a bad choice but its also air cooled and only 195cc. The 300ex has a little more power than the other 2 from my experience. As far as speed goes, none of them will do 60mph but the 300ex will do 55 and the blaster a little more. Hell, get a Warrior. And yes the Kawashitty Mojave sucks

Tri-Z_Jim
02-12-2003, 09:20 PM
Are you buying a 2003 or used???The blaster motor requires little maintence and is very reliable but the rest of it needs constant attention if you ride alot. The a-arm bushings need grease about every 10-12 hrs of riding,If they dry out they wear out in no time. Pre 03 blaster front brakes need constant adjusting.The fronts wear out quick b/c the rear brakes usually dont work.I modified my rear brakes(eliminated the parking brake), now the rear brake works like a hydraulic brake. Blasters are also cheaper to modify than the ex or mojave. ChEcK OuT www.trengaracing.com for blaster mods. As far as the mojave and EX,I would take the mojave over the EX.I have ridden with both and the mojave looks like it had more nads than the ex. .The guy on the mojave is a AMA pro mx'er though and he worked the sh*t out of the mojave.Good Luck with whatever you choose

ATCRYDER
02-12-2003, 09:22 PM
Blaster....Blaster......mmm Blaster.

Best quad out of all of em. Only one with balls in stock form. Get your 2 strokes while you still cannnnn!!

Honda300ex
02-12-2003, 09:24 PM
Since when was a blaster a trike? lmao :D

ATCRYDER
02-12-2003, 09:28 PM
Tehehhe :oops: ;)

TravEX
02-13-2003, 12:32 PM
here's my 400

NOS_350X
02-14-2003, 03:35 AM
i own a honda(85 350x) and a yamaha (97 yz 125) i would say go with the EX 300 blasters suck the blaster is the only crap atv yamaha makes i agree with travex tho and look at the EX 400 you will definently want the power eventualy and there 4 stroke fore the woods riding the honda EX'es would be the way to go for yo i think

TimSr
02-14-2003, 12:26 PM
The guy is 5'5" and 150lbs, and a Blaster isnt big enough? Get real. Thats exactly who it was built for. Sure, 400EX is a great way to go, but if a 300EX is little too pricely, I dont see how this 400EX thing is gonnna work out.
Youll be happy with any of the quads mentioned. By the sheer number of Blasters and 300EX's out there, they will be a lot easier to get parts for, as well as modifications as compared to the Mojave, so Id lean away from that one.
If money is no object, go with the 400EX. Since it seems to be an issue, to me it would come down to the Blaster or the 300. Both are good proven reliable quads. The Blaster is considerable less money. The only thing ever wrong with it was the mechanical braking system which has now been replaced with hydraulic on the new ones. Probably the best buy for the money! 300EX is great too, with added perks of electric start, and reverse which the Blaster does not have.
As for performance and modifications, both are able to race MX in the Blaster class here. There are extensive modifications available for both, after which the Blasters consistantly kill the 300's on the race track. You can do a lot more hop up with the Blaster than the 300.
Both of these are excellent quads, and youll be happy with either one. It will come down to preference of 2 stroke or 4 stroke power, and whether the price difference makes the 4 stroke worth it.

Tri-Z_Jim
02-14-2003, 05:45 PM
Electric start is for OLD FAT LAZY GUYS.LMAO C'Mon,,,,kick that mutha over. Besides,a starter and battery is extra weight and 1 more thing to go wrong.

TravEX
02-14-2003, 06:48 PM
well, journeyman, how much are you looking to spend?

TimSR is right about the Blaster being a great quad and parts being plentiful for them, but journeyman is 19, and most Blasters are sold to early teenagers as a beginners quad,,,at 19 i would think a 300EX would be the smallest thing i would look at, height and weight aside,,,

JourneyMan
02-15-2003, 02:00 AM
I have decided on a 2003 blaster. Black and red. I still love Hondas the best but I'd rather have a lighter bike and a bike that I could rebuild my self when neccessary (2-strokes) are easy to rebuild. Plus I dont ride that hard. Also payments would be cheaper a month, @$60 a month.

TravEX
02-15-2003, 11:30 AM
that's cool,,,have fun,,,

Honda300ex
02-15-2003, 03:33 PM
hey watch out those payments might be $60 a month now but after 6 months they will jump up to like $180 just a word of cation. I just got back 5 mins ago from the "toy store" I sat on a 03 blaster and i am 5'3 and it felt little and seat was hard but my ex has spoiled me. I would get a banshee if i was you :rolleyes:

Tri-Z_Jim
02-15-2003, 06:44 PM
congrats on the new blaster.