PDA

View Full Version : Rode my first QUADZILLA today.....

MO350X
08-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Hey folks,

I finally got to ride a Quadzilla. :w00t:
Yes, all the stories you've heard are true.
They make big, ignorant gobs of power and torque for sure.
Truthfully, it's the first "pull your arms out of their sockets" ride I've ever been on. :eek: :twisted:
You get it up a little in the RPM's and the acceleration feels like you've been hit from behind by a truck. :eek:
Going through the gears from 2nd on up and you had better have a death grip on the bars because if you're not careful with the throttle she's going to flip you off or, if you ride right, you'll be rocketing forward like you've NEVER been before.
And here I thought my 250R was "stout".
Nope, no comparison.

Now I'm just playing a waiting game for the seller to come down to my offer.
Cross your fingers, folks.
I'd love to have a 'Zilla in my "stable". :)

wheelie king
08-27-2005, 10:49 PM
They are definitely fantastic quads. Never owned one, but a friend of mine had one when we were growing up. I loved it.

Good luck in your quest.

sblt500r
08-28-2005, 01:33 PM
thats why i'll never sell mine. anybody i let ride it is impressed. if you keep up with the maintenance you won't have any problems with it.

Speedster700HP
08-28-2005, 05:40 PM
Sounds like a monstronsity! 50HP from a 500 2-stroke is quite different than 50HP from a 250 because of the eyeball straining torque. I have heard a fair number of stories about problems with Zillas, better keep on top of your maintenance! Keep us updated and also let us know what you paid! I wouldn't mind having a Zilla myself. :beer

350Xhilaration
08-28-2005, 09:03 PM
They are a ball for sure. Any 2 stroke 500 for that matter. I've ridden zillas, KX 500 and CR 500...all impressive as heck.

Rat Fink...Awesome :w00t:

sblt500r
08-28-2005, 09:22 PM
yeah i heard all the horror stories too. i think there just from people who beat the crap out off them and slacked on the maintenance. i've only had a couple of problems with it but since i replaced them with new parts everything has been trouble free.

350xhilaration, your only the second person whos said anything to me about rat fink!

MO350X
08-28-2005, 10:39 PM
I'm hoping to hear from the seller by mid-week.
Hopefully, he'll take my offer and I'll post pics for you all.

Problem with all these old trikes and quads is they've all fallen into disrepair in one form or another and tend to need attention...sometimes a LOT of attention.
I do like tinkering with them, though!

350Xhilaration
08-28-2005, 11:44 PM
I remember Rat Fink from my dad's old Street Rodder magazines back in the 70s and 80s. Some awesome stuff!! He still gets Street Rodder and still has the 1940 Ford convertible (has had it since 1958)

Darius1502
08-29-2005, 02:24 AM
I tried to tell everyone about the power....somehow you just don't understand unless you ride one...good description!!!

You should ride my KTM 550 two stoke dirt bike...makes my quadzilla seem tame!!

MO350X
08-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Thanks, Darius.

You were right on the "hold on when you hit third gear".
We were expecting more off-the-line torque...not that it doesn't have plenty! :naughty: .....but it was manageable.
But when you start climbing through the gears and RPMS, it's incredible. :w00t:

Darius1502
08-30-2005, 02:30 AM
Yeah isn't that wild. When really start reving the motor it just makes more and more power and then you are literally flying and breaking the wheels loose constantly. Its really hard to describe...but you have summed it up pretty well.

The first time I got on mine...I thought to myself, 'Thats the most impressive motor anything that I have ever been on'.

Its truely amazing to ride on in the dunes with paddles. Switching back and forth between the zilla and my 86 Tri Z in the dunes is like night and day. Just no comparison really...just awesome.

Darius1502
08-30-2005, 02:34 AM
You might like this...its from a KTM board I visit alot. Describes riding a KTM 540cc two stroke: (unless you ride a big bore...you'll have no idea)- Always gives me chills to read this:

The sand wash torque wheelies were just killer!
I dropped into San Felipe wash one particularly aggressive
day out in Ocotillo Wells and turned east. I grabbed a big
handful of throttle and snicked her into 4th gear and the
front end started coming up... real slow. I mean REAL slow,
all torque. I held it wide open and it just kept coming up.
I went about the length of a football field and it was still coming
up. The funny thing was how slowly it kept coming up, contrasted
with the forward speed which was now incredible. It was like a slow
motion movie. It seemed to last forever. I looked to my left and
saw my friend Mike, an excellent rider on his CR480, right next to
me. He was looking right at me shaking his head. He said it was
like watching a person experience nirvana. I was there, man...
right there. To this day, I can say "remember that wheelie?"
and he just shakes his head. I will never forget that day,
that ride, that bike, or that wheelie. Thanks to all you guys
keepin those big bores alive.

AZ250R
08-30-2005, 06:19 PM
I rode with a guy who had a really tricked out one @ Glamis. Now I can keep up with most anyone on another trike or quad. Be it a new 450 4-stroke, Banshee or another 250R. HOWEVER, this guy on his Zilla could just LOSE me whenever he wanted to!!! Was Amazing for sure, I shoulda rode it..... :mad:

Always glad to hear someone pick'n up a GREAT old 2-stroke Quad, especially when its NOT a SHEE!!! :p

RedRider_AK
09-18-2005, 04:08 PM
Always glad to hear someone pick'n up a GREAT old 2-stroke Quad, especially when its NOT a SHEE!!! :p

I think that a QuadZilla could smoke a Banshee easier than taking candy from a paralyzed baby... I mean, come on. 500 single versus 350 twin, theres no damn comparison.

03 ORANGE SHEE
09-24-2005, 06:37 AM
i love mine, great power, and lots of top end speed