PDA

View Full Version : Poor People In New Orleans

Macs
08-28-2005, 07:25 PM
i dont know if we have any 3WW members there but i think we need to pray for these people. They have 70,000 people at the super dome and it can only withstand winds of 130mph. I really feel for these people. They had just said on the fox news that they will likely have up to 30ft of water in the city.

Tri-ZNate
08-28-2005, 07:41 PM
The south may not rise again but the waters will :lol: het hem.. on a serious note I hope they make it out all right. This is supposed to be the strongest on record.

Macs
08-28-2005, 07:48 PM
it is definatley going to be bad. there for a while i thought it was going to come here and my flood insurance just expired. i dodged that bullet.

Billy Golightly
08-28-2005, 07:51 PM
I hope all the LA folks make out OK if thats where it ends up going. I'm almost still waiting for it to make last minute turn and head right over in the corner of the panhandle and nail us. That'd be just my luck. 165mph winds of hurricane andrew in 1992 and then Katrina also, that wouldn't be fun :(

wheelie king
08-28-2005, 09:13 PM
I feel for them too, especially last year after Charlie, Frances, and Jeanne hit us here in South/Central Florida. I know how it is. It sucks. Just got my roof fixed 2 weeks ago from last year's season. :(

1984kxtTECATE
08-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Alright, if your city is below sea level and close to the sea why the hell would you move and live there, obvisouly a natural disater is gonna happen sometime (as it is right now) It just dont make sense too me, these people live in high risk area's and then get suprised when they find out that the city is screwed if they get a flood. They best get out of there, I wouldnt trust the superdome. I just hope everybody has the sense to get on out of there and save thier own lives.

LaDano
08-28-2005, 09:23 PM
I'm 1hr from NO and all my friends have hauled ass. They'er not expecting to have a house when they return home. I'm east of Baton Rouge and expecting 50-90mp winds tomorrow for 8-15hrs, thats sustained winds. I sent my wife and toddler to the inlaws and bought a couple of cases to see what happens. I'm 1 1/2 miles from the amite river which likes to flood easily, this is going to be very ugly. I believe by in the morning I'll be without electicity, but will be on-line as long as possible. Later

Billy Golightly
08-28-2005, 09:33 PM
Man, best of luck to you through the storm LaDano. Dont let the trikes float away! :D

LaDano
08-28-2005, 09:54 PM
The big red is in the truck, 200x is in the garage with the other bigred next to the blaster and the 110 is in the shed. Best of all they'll float, with the empty beer cans.

TravEX
08-28-2005, 10:11 PM
My grandparents, aunt, uncle and their 3 kids left LaPlace (bout 30 miles west of N.O.) last night to come up here to AR,,,my other aunt and uncle had to stay because of police/medical jobs,,,sounds like it's gonna be bad,,,thoughts and prayers with everyone in it's path.

LaDano
08-28-2005, 10:48 PM
For everyone, LaPlace is only 5miles from lake pontratrain. Their expecting a 30' storm surge. Its going to take several weeks for half of the people to recover. Has anyone thought of the price of gas next week. La produces %18 of the nations oil and gas. This storm will affect everyone in one way or another.

LaDano
08-29-2005, 07:42 AM
The storm just hit land 30min ago, and I've got 30-35mph winds already. 2 very large oak trees in the back yard are already letting go some limbs. 1 good size one has landed on my bass boat.

86250RZ
08-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Well, we were a little lucky. It didnt hit Neworleans in it's most vulnerable spot but its still going to be bad, how bad only the next few hours will tell.

Kintore
08-29-2005, 01:28 PM
I was and still am tuned into the weather network, my local station and another station watching what is happening. Looks like I will get rain on 1PM on Thursday according to Weather Network, nothing like what is happeing down in NO and others. And they have said things about the pumps failing, not good. Also on my station they said the have emergency reserves of fuel(barrels) according to my station. My Prayers to all of you guys, hold on. Becareful Ladano, and all the others.

Tri-ZNate
08-29-2005, 02:14 PM
For everyone, LaPlace is only 5miles from lake pontratrain. Their expecting a 30' storm surge. Its going to take several weeks for half of the people to recover. Has anyone thought of the price of gas next week. La produces %18 of the nations oil and gas. This storm will affect everyone in one way or another.

I was just on netscape and this is alittle excert from the main story....
On the south shore of Lake Ponchartrain, entire neighborhoods of one-story, shotgun-style homes were flooded up to the rooflines. The Interstate 10 off-ramps nearby looked like boat ramps amid the whitecapped waves. Garbage cans and tires bobbed in the water.

TravEX
08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
We're still waiting to hear from my aunt and uncle, I guess the lines/towers are out? Anyone know how bad LaPlace got it?

Macs
08-29-2005, 07:01 PM
well i just got home and heard on fox news that they had bodies floating down the rode, now that is scary

chris200x
08-29-2005, 07:05 PM
They're calling it "the worst domesday senerio" in my local paper! :eek: I wouldn't be sticking around that's for sure.

ClayW
08-30-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeah its bad, I grew up in Denham Springs, LA . Those poor people down there are screwed in more ways than one. Just imagine loosing everything and also loosing your place of employement/job. Not being able to pay your bills. I cant imagine. Loosing it all. I know that we have some boardmembers down that way. Hope they are ok. I lived threw Andrew down there and they are not fun. I cant imagine being in New Orleans. Unreal. The levees are breaking everywhere. That place may never be the same. They said the water level wont stop until the water level in town is they same as lake Ponchatrain. 20 feet deep in spots. Those folks need our prayers for sure. My aunt is down there. Hopefully she made it. Im sure her house didnt.

Clay

Tri-ZNate
08-30-2005, 04:02 PM
I saw new orleans on the news and the water was OVER the houses. And besides that they still have to pump MILLIONS and MILLIONS of gallons of water out of the city. Good Luck.

LaDano
08-30-2005, 04:15 PM
I've been without eletricity since about 7am yesterday. It will be close to the weekend before I can even hope for power. St.Bernard Parish was hit the hardest, with bodies foating in the current. Mayor Nagin of NO had ordered 200,000 body bags last week. I have a lot of friends that will be homeless for no uncertain time. Also lets not forget the Miss gulf coast. I've heard as many as 50 dead near the Miss/La boarder. I'm at my wifes office now so I'll cheak back when I can. Later Dan

cajun66
08-30-2005, 10:38 PM
We are still out of electricity and will probably still be out by the weekend. Got phone back today. We were extremely lucky as we only lost one tree and it missed my garage. My woodshed suffered the only damage. We got 90mph winds here in pride and we are over a hundred miles from N.O. I took pics. I'll try to get them up soon.

86250RZ
08-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Looks like things are only getting worse guys, I havent been able to contact any of my friends or any of my business partners down that way, Thank god I live north of Neworleans, These people are without homes, jobs, food and water and a lot of them are missing family, just imagine being in thier shoes. I will be praying for all.

cajun66
08-31-2005, 06:23 PM
I have a friend who lives in Covington who has lost EVERYTHING. His home was demolished as was his garage and all it's contents.
Another friend from Harahan was a victim of looters. Martial law was declared a little too late for him.

LaDano
09-01-2005, 01:06 AM
I just got electicity back this evening. I've been behind a chainsaw for 2 days and dragging debris. Luckly I didn't have any damage to my house. I've been trying to find house's for rent for a couple of friends and thier families this afternoon. Theres literally no apartments in the Baton Rouge area. Later

cajun66
09-01-2005, 08:29 PM
We just got electricity back. But it looks like a bad future for Baton Rouge already.
People are stealing cars left and right sometimes with the owners in them. Fights are breaking out at gas stations and one had temporarily been taken over by thieves. Fellow workers caught someone stealing gas out of my truck (didn't get much), others cars weren't so lucky. Now here is the bad news for me.
Over the next 2 months, the population in the City of Baton Rouge will DOUBLE. I'm sure that will do wonders for an already troubled city.
And starting tomorrow, I go on 16 hour days, 7 days a week, until the Department of Public Works is through with the cleanup. As an equipment mechanic for the city, I don't get a choice. So my pregnant wife and 11 month old daughter get to spend a lot of time at home alone during this chaos.
For the last 2 years, my wife and I, have had conceal and carry permits but have opted to go unarmed unless traveling. But today I dusted off the old 44spl. and set her by my keys and wallet. :(
These are sad times in south La. fellers. I heard this called "The most catastrastrophic disaster this country has seen since recorded history."

TravEX
09-01-2005, 09:26 PM
my family from LaPlace left here (Arkansas) yesterday to go back home, they didn't have much damage, but they said all of LaPlace looks like a war zone. They are have flooding and it started raining today and the canals are coming up even higher. Gas is $5.45 now and they are running 3 generators. My aunt has been at the nursing home she works at since Sunday afternoon, and my other aunt went to visit her today and got trapped on that side of town and can't make it back home cause the canal she crossed rose too high too cross when she came back. I hope the looting and chaos ends soon. We have to remember we are all Americans here, and should act like it, even in desperate times. We that are away from the disaster don't know how good we have it. Imagine losing everything you own. Terrible. Just terrible. Good luck to you cajun66, and others down there, I pray for your safety and courage in these hard times.

Jeffro33
09-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Hello
To all my fellow Coonass friemds and family I am right there with yall. I can't belive what is going on. I wish I could just snap my fingers and wake up from this nightmare. Even though I am down here in Florida. My heart is and always will be in South Louisiana. I got room at my house for anyone who wants to come down and stay. The good Lord made Cajun folk to be albe to adapt to any situation. Well we just have to adapt to this situation. Most of my family is accouted for now. So I guess we are going in the right direction.
CAJUN LOVE
Jeffro