PDA

View Full Version : Short Track Repro Shroud Pics

Aussieduner
09-02-2005, 07:43 AM
Well i had a sickie from work today and started on the 85/86 Short Track shroud molds.Ive just flipped the mold from the right original part(no damage done to original) and here it is ready for trimming and filling of the imperfections as you can see,will have the left one at this stage tomorrow.For those TRI-Z guys i actually spent half the day on those molds as well making a template for use of a router to remove the waste vent plastic so in all a very productive day here "Downunder"

Cheers
Aussieduner

Derrick Adams
09-02-2005, 07:52 AM
So, now on these parts, what colors are you making them in? Are you going to try to make them in OEM colors? I know everyone is anticipating the vented number plates, I know I sure want a couple red ones. You may think of making the numbers to go with them as well, to sell seperate.

Another rare item to reproduce might be the 1985 CR500 shrouds. I know those can't be bought anywhere.

Aussieduner
09-02-2005, 08:09 AM
So, now on these parts, what colors are you making them in? Are you going to try to make them in OEM colors? I know everyone is anticipating the vented number plates, I know I sure want a couple red ones. You may think of making the numbers to go with them as well, to sell seperate.

Another rare item to reproduce might be the 1985 CR500 shrouds. I know those can't be bought anywhere.

Hi
Well ok heres the deal so far any of the molds i have i can make the item in black or white in 3mm,im waiting on polypropolene material that will come in yellow,red ect but the material is hard to obtain BUT i have an order in with a big plastic's company for those colours.I have a vented plate coming and it should be very easy and quick to produce also im picking up a router to speed up production time and working on templates to make each item trimmed the same.
As for numbers for the plates this will be very easy my plastic supplier has a "MultiCam" machine that cuts plastic letters or numbers(or shapes) in any size or font required,its all linked to a PC with AUTOCAD.

Aussieduner

ScottZJ
09-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Nice job there mate! I am sure I will be put in line for a set of them! It just goes to show that anything can be done if someone works at it! Great job!

Aussieduner
09-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Nice job there mate! I am sure I will be put in line for a set of them! It just goes to show that anything can be done if someone works at it! Great job!

Hey thanks.
Thats a nice ST 250r you have there yourself,im taking my frame for powdercoating this week and a rebuild with new fenders,fork boots,decals etc and of course the ST kit fitted.

Aussie

ScottZJ
09-03-2005, 08:04 AM
Well it will be nicer once I get a nice set of shrouds for her....hehehe ;)

Aussieduner
09-03-2005, 09:33 AM
Well it will be nicer once I get a nice set of shrouds for her....hehehe ;)

No problem will be able to help with that very soon :-)

Aussie

Aussieduner
09-08-2005, 04:10 AM
Molds are now a solid item,a little more work around the outside to seal the expander foam and they are ready to start production !

Cheers
Aussie

Aussieduner
09-10-2005, 06:46 AM
First ST shroud straight off the vac table today,what do you think ?

Cheers
Aussie

69HemiGTX
09-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Lookin' good, Aussie! Have you heard from your plastic supplier about the other colors yet?

Aussieduner
09-10-2005, 10:04 AM
Lookin' good, Aussie! Have you heard from your plastic supplier about the other colors yet?

I have no good news on yellow 3mm poly yet,i have one last hope next week with that,2mm is readily available as its used in saftey signs etc but just too thin for this application.Its crazy the amount of yellow plastic items i have found here at home and in stores like plastic cups,dog bowls,garbage bins and so on but they are all made in China,Thailand and elsewhere,There has to be somewhere here in Oz that has this material in sheets,very frustrating.

Aussie

Dammit!
09-10-2005, 11:47 AM
I wonder if there's a way to find out who supplies Maier with their plastic. That way you could color match them perfectly.

Billy Golightly
09-10-2005, 11:52 AM
I'm pretty ignorant on the whole process of vacume molding plastic, so this is probably a stupid question, but how about just taking two 2mm sheets and stacking them up?

Dammit!
09-10-2005, 12:27 PM
It doesn't get hot enough to melt them into one piece. It would end up coming apart.

Billy Golightly
09-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Could the heat range be increased, for use with the thicker plastic?

Aussieduner
09-10-2005, 09:40 PM
The plastic is heated to 150-200 deg then it becomes moldable but not hot enough to bond 2 pieces together.Using thicker material requires large amounts of vacuum to pull it over the mold plus the part will become larger than it should be,3 or 4mm is my limit on my equipment i currently use.

Aussie