PDA

View Full Version : Well I'm home....What a sight

Mike Fort Laud
09-06-2005, 10:19 PM
All I can say is it brings tears to your eyes. Starving ,dying and death everywhere. A total lack of communication and disorder. We sat there a full day watching people drown because the people who athorized us had no way of telling other people there of our intentions.. Why were we there they said. To help in the rescue. We were told they had it under control. A day later we were being begged to use our boats. If they were walking down the street we were supossed to passy them by because they were not trapped in a house. Nobody understood that. I was supossed to get to people that were flodded to water over their heads. People that could not walk out. I rescued 84 people with my boat. But I LEFT MANY BEHIND. They said they were fine but had no power and could not go anywhere. They heard of the terriable conditions and death and starvation at the evacuation centers. They actually said they felt safer at their broke up homes because it was just them. I felt guilty that I was hiding my own food and drink for myself. We would give something to somebody and it would make everybody uprise. We brought food for ourselves not for the 84 I picked up. But there was a couple times when there would be a mother and baby. And then there was a single 76 year old woman that I had in the boat that I just stopped the boat and kind of hid for a moment. I went to my secret hiding spot under the deck of the boat to get the food I had. I lied so many times saying we had no food. This lady needed it. We could not even have a cooler on the boat because the lid would have fallen of from being opened so many times. I saw packs of dogs eating on people. I am home and I can not forget the smell. I still smell it. It was a hard trip and something you will never forget..but want to. I slept in my truck, gave away almost all my food, was called names, threatened but I am proud I did it. If I could afford to go back I would tomorrow.

OldManDM
09-06-2005, 10:31 PM
well,i don`t consider myself a religious person,but nonetheless God Bless You for the effort you made and thank the good Lord you are home and safe.....you did what you could and that`s what is important......don`t go thinking you should have done more......my hat is off to you Mike,and if i was still in the Navy and in uniform,i DAMN well would stand up and salute you!

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :beer

bigredhead
09-06-2005, 10:50 PM
Pat yourself on the back man.. you deserve it.

you WENT, wich is more than many can say.. . I can't possibly understand what you have gone thru, and just watching all that on TV damn near made me cry like a 2 year old child today.... I can't beleive what they show on TV . phew...

Glad you made it back safely.

Banage
09-06-2005, 11:29 PM
You are a good man for helping where you could. If i coulda i woulda join'd you. I too know that smell of death and its not a smell you forget. dont feel bad for hiding your food, and i dont blame you for the elderly women. welcome home

bentwrench
09-06-2005, 11:41 PM
[b]thank You !

firefirefire90
09-07-2005, 12:00 AM
a pack of dogs eating a person? That is terrible! Just as terrible as people shooting down a helicopter that wus saving other people. What has america come to...wars wars and wars? all of my family members have/still are in the military. Ive seen bad pictures of that to. I wish i could help, but can only stay in school till nnavy acadamy. My hat goes off to you dude!

KASEY
09-07-2005, 12:30 AM
since i was not in the military the best salute i can do is
http://www.openp2p.com/p2p/conference/graphics/wed/clay_shirky_thumbup.jpg

great job!!!! your efforts will be rewarded,, some how some way!!! this awards for you!!!!!
http://www.zarcrom.com/users/yeartorem/images/hataward.jpg

yamahaman89
09-07-2005, 07:31 AM
you did good man. THANK YOU!!!!!

OldSchoolin86
09-07-2005, 07:32 AM
well,i don`t consider myself a religious person,but nonetheless God Bless You for the effort you made and thank the good Lord you are home and safe.....you did what you could and that`s what is important......don`t go thinking you should have done more......my hat is off to you Mike,
Well said ^^^

Your story is a tough one Mike and my wife and I extend our thanks to you and everyone else helping out in this time desperation for the victims of catrina.

Thank you Sir!

slothminx
09-07-2005, 08:09 AM
You have done a great job. and should be very proud that you kept going. i can only image what it is like in New Orleans. Thanks for helping as many people as you did.

Will