PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else here have a dune buggy or go cart of some sort?

Live4today
09-08-2005, 02:10 AM
I just picked up, what the guy said he thinks is a 75 Volkswagen engine, drivetrain, and floor pan, with a custom, homemade body. The thing is great. Uglier than all hell, but it's so ugly, I love it. I will hopefully get some pics taken of it soon, and post them. I'm just jacked about this thing, and was wondering if anybody else had a sand rail, or mud buggy or anything like that.

Aussieduner
09-08-2005, 04:41 AM
Sure do,i have one of Honda's finest machines the FL400 Pilot.
Here's a pic of yours truely at the wheel.

Cheers
Aussie

chris200x
09-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Aussieduner, Is that you in that pic? Got anymore?

Aussieduner
09-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Aussieduner, Is that you in that pic? Got anymore?

Yep thats me,its part of a Pilot feature in Australian ATV Action mag coming out end of this month.The location is Stockton Dunes NSW Australia.
I have a disc the editor sent me with some other shots,here's another.

Cheers
Aussie

Hornetpowerspor
09-09-2005, 09:15 AM
I have 1 with a stock 1600 dual port, and 1 with a 2332 turbocharged vw that is street legal. They are fun as hell!

grundlegrabber
09-10-2005, 12:18 AM
I had a Berry Mini T, full length pan, built on a '65 chassis with 1500 single port motor. It was super fun to cruise around it, and I liked the fact that it made people smile when they saw it. Had to part ways though, I was outta storage space (still am- anybody want to donate some???)

1984kxtTECATE
09-10-2005, 12:25 AM
Its the only picks I got of ours. Its actually an allmnuin frame sand rail, with a pumped up 1835cc VW motor Dual 44 down drafts, 110 cam, cranks hard all the way out to 10,000rpm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/84tecate/MichaelsCar041.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v648/84tecate/MichaelsCar040.jpg

phreakboy
09-10-2005, 12:14 PM
I had a Berry Mini T, full length pan, built on a '65 chassis with 1500 single port motor. It was super fun to cruise around it, and I liked the fact that it made people smile when they saw it. Had to part ways though, I was outta storage space (still am- anybody want to donate some???)

Thats freakin awesome, I have a Mini T also, and have had an insane hard time finding out information on it and pics, Do you have any other pics of the one you had, also I was wondeirng what kind of floor yours had in it as mine doesnt have anything yet.

Live4today
09-10-2005, 03:35 PM
Wow, here I make this post feeling special because I just picked one up, and then I see what people actually do have, and damn, mine was only $300.

Click here to view pics of my little chitbox (http://spaces.msn.com/members/joshmans/PersonalSpace.aspx?_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaHandler=TWlj cm9zb2Z0LlNwYWNlcy5XZWIuUGFydHMuUGhvdG9BbGJ1bS5GdW xsTW9kZUNvbnRyb2xsZXI%24&_c11_PhotoAlbum_spaFolderID=cns!1plDLM6RDWy03g0bqh BGt_-w!145&_c=PhotoAlbum&owner=1)

Vealmonkey
09-10-2005, 07:12 PM
Live4today, that is pretty trick. You'll have fun. The trick with the vw motors is valve adjustment. As long as you keep good fresh oil in them, bug motors will just keep on chugging. That buggy looks pretty light, should be a good power to weight ratio. You can get some cheap parts like and exhaust and some other goodies from JCWhitney. Hey grundlegrabber, I used to have a buggy just like yours. It was called a Tuff Tub and was made by a company in New Kensington, PA. I think you have or had the exact same thing. It was on a full size pan and had a hinged hatch over the engine.

phreakboy
09-10-2005, 07:55 PM
the tuff tubs were very close, but not the same as there were slight variations. And the Berry Mini T was made in cali.

nouseforaname90
09-10-2005, 08:07 PM
That pilot looks so fun. I wish I had a dune buggy..any kind. I dont care if its a 400cc or a 1500cc.. I JUST WANT ONE! lol

Aussieduner
09-10-2005, 09:30 PM
That pilot looks so fun. I wish I had a dune buggy..any kind. I dont care if its a 400cc or a 1500cc.. I JUST WANT ONE! lol

If you ever get the chance to drive a Pilot you wont want one you will go and buy one ! I purchased mine in SoCal and shipped it all the way to Australia..worth every dollar and more.....its awesome.

Aussie

sblt500r
09-11-2005, 09:42 PM
If you ever get the chance to drive a Pilot you wont want one you will go and buy one ! I purchased miine in SoCal and shipped it all the way to Australia..worth every dollar and more.....its awesome.

Aussie

hes absolutely right. :D i used to have one and boy do i miss it. :( but there really wasn't enough land around here to take full advantage of it. and i made a bunch of money on it, so i gues it evens out.

grundlegrabber
09-11-2005, 10:39 PM
I have lots more pics of my old buggy, shoot me your email addy and I'll send ya some if you want. I really miss it. I sold it on ebay for $3K, and shipped it to Hawaii. Actually not sure if it was a tub or a mini t. The floor was the floor pan of the bug chassis. Basically a bug with the body removed and the tub installed, with some minor suspension mods in the back (camber was way off though, wasn't quite sure how to correct that). I think I remember seeing a tag inside the rear hatch that said Glass Vac Manufacturing, #333. I think it was made in Mass.
If I ever get another one, I'd like a Meyers Manx or a Tow'd. Wishful thinking I guess, but a guy can dream. That rail in the pics looks mean man. I've seen those things do some crazy ass ****!
Secret to make your bug motor last longer: use high octane fuel with lead additive (or leaded race fuel). Most of them were meant to run on leaded fuel, it keeps 'em cooler. Also use good oil and put an oil cooler on it if you can. Heat is what usually takes them out I think.
As for that yellow little box on wheels, never seen anything like it but it looks like fun!
As for the Pilot, don't have agood place to run one around here, and they're soooo expensive anymore! However, on the list of the top ten things I'd like to do before I die is to run one of those for a day. I have an '85 350 Odyssey that I bought as a project, haven't had any time to get it back together though. Anyone wanna buy it??? :lol:

phreakboy
09-12-2005, 07:21 AM
Hey how much for the 350 Odyssey?, and my email addy is phreakboy@comcast.net I would love to see any pics you have of it.

sblt500r
09-12-2005, 12:52 PM
If you ever get the chance to drive a Pilot you wont want one you will go and buy one ! I purchased miine in SoCal and shipped it all the way to Australia..worth every dollar and more.....its awesome.

Aussie

i was just wondering how much you paid? i sold mine for $5000 and it wasn't even as nice as your was.

MIK6
09-13-2005, 10:31 PM
I have a Berry Mini-T4 too!! The are hard to find info for. I also have a Barrien 902 short back rail, set up for the street.

MIK6 / Mike

hrc85250r
09-14-2005, 06:06 PM
i have a single seater custom built witha 250R carrier and axle with +3 spacers on each side, custom frint double a-arm front suspension and a cbr600f2 motor in it...had it going about 110 before a turn in the road....i dont care if you believe me or not so dont turn this into a "quad tires wont hold up at that speed" thread because they will. and i will get pics of it soon, i have had them up before, but its in storage right now...i will take it out in a week or so....me and my old pops built the chassis entirely by hand about 4 or 5 years ago and its gone through 4 motors...

Enigma
09-15-2005, 07:08 PM
My dad and I got this frame from a friend for free so then we went out and got a stock 1600 VW engine. We are still working on it but now the engine is a 2276, and we are making some frame modifications. Hopefully we will have it done for this desert season.

Edit: Forgot too add the pic

Aussieduner
09-25-2005, 04:05 AM
i was just wondering how much you paid? i sold mine for $5000 and it wasn't even as nice as your was.

$7.5k for a very tidy stock machine well maintained,plus i had the owner take it to the shipping depot in Pomona for me.

Aussie