PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Own a Mojave?

Lomax
09-08-2005, 11:07 AM
I was just kinda curious about them. I bought one last night (well traded for it and 2 other machines). It doesnt run (yet) and its missing some stuff but It looks like it would sure be fun to ride/play on. Its a 1997 model and the frame and all the suspension and the wheels were Red that year so I have some cosmetic work to do before I even mess with the motor (red is fine, thats just to damn much of it). Can anyone give me any feedback on these machines before I sink a bunch of time into it.
-Will

toyota200x
09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
They are not a powerhouse but they seem to be great bikes. I have seen some awesome looking mojaves.

slow200s
09-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Well I once had a mojave it was the biggest tird muffen i have owned and i have owend some seriously lame atvs it gets ranked with the lows of the yamaha 1984 200 4wheeler (you know the one with no suspension. its not that it is a bad machine presay but there are verious problems that come up on this model frequently 1) the kick start gears 2) water pump besides that it is a good machine really rugged, and heavy. now having said that mine was a 1989 i think and i owned it for 18 months and i only got to ride it for about 3 hours total in that 18 months so take it as you will.

hrc85250r
09-08-2005, 03:06 PM
well, i have heard that they are fairly nice machines, and they smoke all other 250 class quads like the 250ex and whatnot....have fun with it!

dovesprings250R
09-09-2005, 01:20 AM
I got a 87 mojave the year they came out and raced desert on it for 10 years. I never had problems with the kickstart at all. The petcocks leak due to pressure from the knee, Oil needs to be replaced regularly, the tank likes to crack near the petcock. If you get a klr or ninja 250 cdi it will rev higher and really scream but get heavy duty stainless valve springs if you do that. A longer swingarm really helps this bike, I have a +2 westcoast on mine. The stock front shocks are horrible as they have super slow rebound and pack up in the whoops I put works steelers with dual rate springs and resivoirs on mine and it made a huge difference in the rough stuff. Maier makes a sweet looking plastic kit in a variety of colors. Overall a good, fun bike that can be made even better with a little cash. Buy as many spare tanks and petcocks as you can find though...Really. :beer

brapp
09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
i have a tecate-4 is that close enough.

350xBomb
09-20-2005, 09:01 AM
It's not a hual asser, but for out ridin and havin fun it does the job better than a lot of other bikes.

blowfishct
09-20-2005, 11:37 AM
I just picked one up I traded my kx500 for it. It has been sitting for a year we pulled behind a 400ex and it started right up it needs a gas tank. Im picking one up tonight.

Blown 331
09-20-2005, 11:40 AM
My cousin has a nice 1987. He bought it from his cousin. He rode it for a couple years then out of no where it locked up. The crank went out. He bought a used bottom end but then saw a used motor on ebay so he bought the other motor. After he installed that motor it ran for a few months and then it locked up! Same problem. He still has that used bottom end with a good crank and and he has all the parts to get it running but he is not even going to mess with it because this one will just lock up too. lol. He needs to just put it all on ebay.

blowfishct
09-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Tell him I'll buy the fuel tank and the petcock.