PDA

View Full Version : Critters in the yard @ night

AZ250R
09-13-2005, 04:41 PM
Was in the back yard last night, saw a large web and spider. Its about quarter sized (leg diameter), and shelled peanut sized abdomen. Anyone know what kind though?

Then outa the corner of my eye I catch this nocternal gecko snooping around. I've never seen one before, its about 6 inches long and .5 inch wide. Cool patern and was even furry if ya can't tell from the pic. Anyway thought I'd get pics and share cause I really want to know about the spider in case I need to TERMINATE it... :mad:

Blown 331
09-13-2005, 05:01 PM
I have no idea but that gecko thing is cool!
Was the spider black and yellow on the top?

nouseforaname90
09-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I have no clue what spider that is, but OH MAN I saw one ugly spider yesterday.
It was on my moms flowers. It was about the size of a half-dollar coin, and its legs were black and white striped. Its abdomen area was massive for a spider and it was lime green with really weird light green markings on it. It freaked the **** out of me.

AZ250R
09-13-2005, 06:29 PM
I have no idea but that gecko thing is cool!
Was the spider black and yellow on the top?
The spider is about the colors in the pic, slightly over exposed, but its burnt orange/brown with black accents. Never got a good look @ its back side for more markings...

gecko thing is cool, I touched it and dared it to bite me! :twisted:
was way dosile and not too woried about me...

mymint87
09-13-2005, 06:47 PM
does the spider spin a circular web each night at dusk?

or does the spider spin a permenant web against a stationary substrate?

i dont know exactly where you live in Arizona, but those geckos can be found between boards, along stucco walls, or practically anything that they can wedge between and I have seen them as far west as El Centro, CA.

the geckos have illuminating properties also...throw a black light on them :Bounce

AZ250R
09-13-2005, 07:58 PM
or does the spider spin a permenant web against a stationary substrate?

the geckos have illuminating properties also...throw a black light on them :Bounce
Yah the spider is just some ordinary "orb spin'n" varity, of which all are NONtoxic and not agressive. She'll be allowd to stay and keep eat'n insects.

The gecko (banded, I've since looked up) is way common out here. Seems wierd but guess I'm not really look'n for em @ night, I will now. Gotta try that black light thing. :beer

trikerider2oo7
09-13-2005, 09:48 PM
that gecko is sweet. my sister had an anole once. it was pretty cool

firefirefire90
09-13-2005, 09:59 PM
i thought orb spinning spiders were the worste? When i lived in australia, there were orb spiders living in the toilets that were highly toxic. Also the Red Back spider for all you guys over there, those suckers a big....plus * had to get ** house fumigated every 2 months over where i lived.

EDIT: sorry i guess i was talking about the funnel web spiders...i know they were in the toilets though!

chris200x
09-13-2005, 10:33 PM
I absolutly hate spiders! i live in northeast Pa. and were not supposed to have the brown recluse. They say it's too cold for them to survive. Well about 2 months ago my neighbor suddenly disappers for 2 weeks. I see him limping on crutches into the house one day so I asked him what's up. He was bit by one of those little critters and the poison ate a hole in his calf muscle big enough to fit an egg in :eek:

In the last couple years that's the second recluse bite I've heard of in an area where they're not supposed to be. The other guy died. :(

I'm freaked out about this so I had an exterminator come in just to check.

AZ250 dude consider yourself lucky you only have lizards and spiders. There's been a pretty big bear in my yard quite a few times already. He like to come around the night when we put the garbage on the curb. Makes a fricken mess every time! :rolleyes:

Do you guys have mountian lions out there at all. I was watchin something on national geographic the one night about them. How they can be there and you don't even see them... Until it's too late! :eek: Pretty scary stuff!

nouseforaname90
09-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Well Brown Recluses are becoming less and less rare around here I guess, Chris.
My friends dad got bit on the arm about a year ago and almost ended up losing his arm over it.

86250RZ
09-14-2005, 10:55 AM
It's funny that you bring that up, my Daughter was bit by a Brown Recluse 3 weeks ago ( on her big toe). They are very common here in Louisianna. The nurse told me that there have been a lot more people being bit by them this year than ever before. The worst part is almost everyone being bit by them are also getting Staph Infection from it also and this has never been a problem before. Strange huh. BTW if you get the bite treated as soon as you notice any skin discoloration it can be treated with no problems at all, when you ignore the signs thats when your in trouble.

Oldshell4481
09-14-2005, 10:42 PM
i dont think we have any poisonous spiders, unless those yellow, white, and black field spiders are poisonous. we just have boatloads of skunks and coons

edog
09-15-2005, 08:51 AM
We have browns around here.They are poisonis.

AZ250R
09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Do you guys have mountian lions out there at all. I was watchin something on national geographic the one night about them. How they can be there and you don't even see them... Until it's too late! :eek: Pretty scary stuff!
We do have mountain lions here and funny you should bring that up. The hotter summers of late have brought them down to the edges of the city. They have scared quite a few people but only attacked and killed peoples pets. Quite a few dogs have met their match over the past few summers vs. the mountain lions around Phoenix. :eek:

I have yet to see one, then again I stay OUTA the HEAT! ;)

chris200x
09-15-2005, 04:09 PM
I'd even be scared to go out at night... That's when they hunt! They can be hiding in your bushes and you wouldn't even know it! :eek: :lol:

EDIT: Check out some of these pics I got in an email from my dad. :eek: This is down in New Orleans! The email went on to say how there is thousands of water moccisons just roming all over the city! YIKES! I guess we don't have it so bad after all!

Wickedfinger
09-16-2005, 12:25 AM
skunks and coons are poison packed ! ;). I used to see all kinds of critters around my house when I lived on the Delaware canal. My NV scope was fun to toy around with too. I've only ever seen one or two Black widows in my lifetime here in SE. Pa. and a couple of Brown Recluse (a ran into a small nest of them recently during my 70 resto). I had a huge wolf/fisher spider that lived in my shed that I named "El Gigante". He was a mean SOB and killed off a family of pinkie mice that were living in an old grass seed sack. The largest spider I've ever seen was a "small", 5" tropical Terantula on the island of St. John in the USVI's. I've also seen a few scorpions there too. Heres a picture of one.

BigGreenMachine
09-18-2005, 12:38 PM
I'm some glad to live in Newfoundland, we have nothing to worry about gettin bit by around here thats poisioness. When I was in the states with my bro (Austin Tx) I was always on the look out for little critters. Seen a ton of lime green/black/white spiders that were scary big. I remember one day I was in the back yard mowing the lawn when I got stung by something, boy did I ever spaz out lol. Was like wtf just stung me!!! Home alone at the time in the middle of the *.S. I didn't need that. Turned out to be a nest of hornets or something.

wanta250r
09-21-2005, 03:24 AM
I got a wide variety of critters around here. I have black widows, tarantulas, all kinds of red, green, purple spiders. Supposedly there aren't any brown recluses around here but I think there are. Scorpions migrate out of the desert towards me every spring/summer. Lizards and frogs and toads. There are supposed to be a couple mountains lions near me and bears but none have been seen in like 10 years. Still a bunch of deer and a few tule elk left. Seen two turtles in my lifetime. Racoons, coyotes, wild pigs, plus the gophers, squirrels, rabbits. Might be a bobcat or two still here. Probably more creatures I haven't seen. :w00t:

Bill X_R
09-22-2005, 09:58 PM
I'd even be scared to go out at night... That's when they hunt! They can be hiding in your bushes and you wouldn't even know it! :eek: :lol:

EDIT: Check out some of these pics I got in an email from my dad. :eek: This is down in New Orleans! The email went on to say how there is thousands of water moccisons just roming all over the city! YIKES! I guess we don't have it so bad after all!

That first pic looks like one mean SOB!!! As if the people didnt have enough problems as it were!! Your Dad live there or just helping out? Best of luck to him either way.

84honda 200X
09-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Man that one snake was HUGE!!! Ive got a buddy who lives in louisiana and when he goes fourwheeling they carry .22s on the back of their wheelers and when they see one they shoot it.

firefirefire90
09-22-2005, 10:20 PM
what are water moccasins? I mean obviously they're snakes but do they attack people?

atczack
09-23-2005, 06:58 PM
firefirefire90: Yes, Moccasins attack people. They have been known to be one of the few snake's that will go out of it's way to chase you and try to bite you after you stumble upon them. They are poisonous also, stay away.
Everybody else: I'm not an expert on this stuff or anything, just a Florida boy who has been outside a time or two. But I read that one sure way to tell if you've been bit by a 'Brown Recluse' is the bite area will be red, about the size of a coin, and have a black spot in the middle of it. So be careful out there! Oh yeah, it is perfectly alright to bash ANY spider, even if you know it's harmless. I would rather have the fly's than the spider's. Just my 2 cent's....

slothminx
09-23-2005, 07:23 PM
This dude was hiding in our sun shade on holiday, gave my dad a bit of a fright when he opened the shade and it fell down!!!. I also had a scorpian in my shirt, it was about an inch long. Gave me a bit of a shock when i went to put my shirt on to have that saying hello up close :lol:

RedRider_AK
09-29-2005, 02:23 AM
I say terminate the spider and go shine a blacklight on the gecko. Then go smoke some weed. :lol: Just kidding.