PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust mustang roller rockers?

dizasterzrfun69
09-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey does anybody know how to adjust the roller rockers on a 1990 mustang 302? they are trick flow 1.6 roller rockers. thanks

Kevin

Derrick Adams
09-14-2005, 09:04 PM
Are they pedestal mount or stud mount?

oddball3
09-14-2005, 10:20 PM
Dont quote me on it but we did it on my friends 95 302. Turn them in till you feel resistance and go half turn, or a quater cant quite remember, will find out for sure tommorow.
Maybe someone else can verify.

Jason Hall
09-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Are the rockers held on by bolts, or adjustable studs with nuts? If they are held on with bolts then they are not able to be adjusted real easy, the ones with stud/nuts are pretty easy. The way I do them is the base circle method. I have found this to be the most accurate way. Instead of bringing the cylinder up to compression stroke, & hoping one of the lifters is not just starting up one of the cam lobes, the base circle method puts the lifter that operates the valve you are adjusting on the oposite side of the lobe. Do one cylinder at a time, & do both valves before moving on to the next cylinder. Start with # 1 cylinder, then move to the next cylinder in the firing order. When the exhaust valve starts to open adjust the intake valve, If you have hydrolic lifters loosen the adjuster nut until the push rod spins real free, then tighten the adjuster until you feel the push rod just start to turn with a little resistance. When that happens then turn the nut 1/4 to 1/2 a turn farther & leave it. Then turn the engine around until the intake valve starts to shut, when it does then do the same, turn the push rod until you feel resistance then go 1/4 to 1/2 a turn more. If you have a question which valve is the intake & which is the exhaust just look at where the valve is compaired to where the exhaust port on the exhaust manifold is, If you drew an imaginary line from the exhaust manifold port to the valve, the 2 will be inline with each other. If you don't know enough to figure out which valve is which you better have someone who knows more adjust the valves, because If you do it wrong you can really mess stuff up.

oddball3
09-15-2005, 03:20 PM
Jason hall got it. Also make sure if you have hydralic lifters that they are full of oil. You will have to let the lifters sit in oil overnight or use the oil pump drive in a drill and prime the lifters.