PDA

View Full Version : nitro rc car tunning?

85 250sx
09-14-2005, 08:36 PM
I remember reading a post about rc cars and remeber that a lot of people on here also have them. Well i have a nitro buggy as well and have not had to many problems up till now. It runs fine at low rpms but when i give it full throttle and it starts getting high in the rpms it bogs down and shuts off it i dont let off the throttle. I thought it was maybe a cloged air filter but i checked it and it seems fine i even took it completly off and ran it and it did the same. so now i think maybe its not getting enough gas or somthing? what do you guys think it could be? thanks

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-14-2005, 08:40 PM
Is it running hot? Take the temp of the head after letting it idle for 10 minutes. What motor are you running? It sounds to me like it is running lean, Turn the main adjustment screw out 1/8 of a turn at a time untill the motor will top out without cutting out. if that makes it worse, turn the screw in-in the same manner.

Otherwise, this is the common symptoms of a worn out sleeve, a bad glow plug, or old (or cheap) fuel.

85 250sx
09-14-2005, 09:48 PM
its a 2.5 engine i think and ive run about a half gallon of the traxxas top fuel stuff in it since new. I think it maybe running lean then because it runs fine untill the throttle is pinned.
also is there anyway to stop this thing frome vibrating to pieces? ive already lost my front drive shaft because of this and the little bolt that hold the rear drive shaft on comes loose every 10 min and then the engine spins but just spins around the drive shaft and doesnt engage it.

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-14-2005, 10:15 PM
So Im guessing its a traxxas? Heh, that sums up your problems right there.. traxxas., The loose bolts and whatnot, the only thing you can really do is put threadlock on everything.

bigredhead
09-14-2005, 11:36 PM
How much do those suckers cost ?

I always wanted one.. i'm even considering an RC plane lately... the hobby seems like alot of fun.

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-14-2005, 11:42 PM
Bigred- www.towerhobbies.com

Browse through some and check out the prices. Anywhere from $175-$2k

The hobby is alot of fun, just do your research first, or you can throw away a few hundred bucks because of one mistake.

Macs
09-17-2005, 12:54 PM
i finally gave up on mine, i have a nitro quake- duratrax and i have never got that thing to run worth a crap, my wheels always fall of. it sucks.

bigb9582
09-17-2005, 11:00 PM
i gave up on mine to. i have a OFNA LD3. on road racer. i never could get it tuned right in the 2 years ive had it. it eather ran to hot or didnt run at all. it ran good but would get really hot (hot enough that any liquid would sizzle off in half a second). if i ajusted the carb at all it would not run until i put it back on the setting were it ran hot. i tried tuning it again the other day with no luck so i said f-it and ran it until the thing got so hot it just shut off. now it has no compression at all when yanking the pull cord. it was the worst $200.00 i spent on something and i will not be buying another one.

Lots_Of_Nothing
09-17-2005, 11:13 PM
i gave up on mine to. i have a OFNA LD3. on road racer. i never could get it tuned right in the 2 years ive had it. it eather ran to hot or didnt run at all. it ran good but would get really hot (hot enough that any liquid would sizzle off in half a second). if i ajusted the carb at all it would not run until i put it back on the setting were it ran hot. i tried tuning it again the other day with no luck so i said f-it and ran it until the thing got so hot it just shut off. now it has no compression at all when yanking the pull cord. it was the worst $200.00 i spent on something and i will not be buying another one.

Thank you, what a perfect example of ignorance for everyone to see.

It takes time, the correct tools, and some learning to know how to run them correctly.

RedRider_AK
09-29-2005, 02:16 AM
Your problem might be running to lean, as Lots_Of_Nothing said, because my Tower Hobbies (gasp) ST-15 kept doing that... and then I sent it back... :D

brapp
09-29-2005, 08:41 AM
so now i think maybe its not getting enough gas or somthing?

did you let it sit with fuel in the carb, i always drained the fuel from the tank and carb before putting it away, and never had a problem, but thats what was wrong with it when i got it, ps. i have a t maxx for sale with alot of aluminum parts and other misc ready to run.

Macs
10-01-2005, 02:41 PM
i really dont know much about them. i bought it from tower hobbies. if i get it to idle it has know power. i f i make it were it want idle it will run great. also my pull starter keeps breaking. i think i will stick to electric cars, especially since tamaya is re releasing the grasshopper and lunch box.