PDA

View Full Version : Help with shipping

Blown 331
09-23-2005, 12:34 PM
I have to ship a Honda Z50 to New York from basically St. Louis. This guy is sending me boxes to take it apart and ship. Anyone how I can figure an estimate on what this will cost? Anyone know the weight on this thing?

OK, it weighs about 140 or 150. He paypaled me $50 for shipping and said he can send a money order if it costs any more when he sends boxes. I think it's gonna cost more like $100 to $130.

bigredhead
09-23-2005, 01:14 PM
Don't forget that the box size also can make a difference... on light weight parts you may get charged CUBING .. . weight adjutment according to volume.

Wich company are you going with ?

Blown 331
09-23-2005, 01:26 PM
UPS. He said he would have them picked up at my house but I offered to take them to UPS, not a big deal. He is wanting me to put the tires in one box then fold down the handle bars and I'll lower the seat and put the rest in another box.

bigredhead
09-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Sounds reasonable... maybe empty the oil out of the tranny.. and obviously gas out of the tank. and drain the carb.. spill may cause delays and surcharges for Dangerous Goods...

Put a note with big black marker to let him know to refill the fluids before starting..

brapp
09-23-2005, 05:11 PM
dude just put it in a damn big tupperware tote, ive already done that to little pw50's and quad frames and alot of diffremnt motors. and its cheaper to ship one big box than a dozel little ones.

bigredhead
09-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Actually .. if you were to ship with Purolator ( whom i work for ) we charge by total weight, so 2 pieces that weigh 100 lbs total .. or one piece that weighs 100 lbs.. same price.

However. if you ship a tupperware with us.. expect a 10 $ surcharge for " Special Handling "..... yeah.. i know.. i hear it all day long.. we suck.

smokinwrench
09-23-2005, 07:53 PM
Howdy sent me a trizinger 2-3 years ago. He shipped form his house in Ohio to my place of work in Dodge City Ks. He shipped it in 2 boxes. Shipping was only $60.00 or somewhere right in that neighborhood.

TimSr
09-23-2005, 10:22 PM
If you are using UPS , go to the UPS website and check how to measure dimensions. Often smaller packages are less expensve than one oversize, depending on weight. Oversize 2 is billed at a 75 lb rate, so once you hit oversize 2 dimensions, it pays to fill it up. Whatever you do, be careful not to have any package exceed 75 lbs. After 75 lbs, the rate jumps drastically, like about $5 per pound over 75. A Z50 could probably go in two or three packages. One will probably have to be oversize 2, but keep the others standard size, and under 75 lbs.