PDA

View Full Version : Polaris to buy KTM motorcycles?.

Wickedfinger
09-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Check out this article from the Polaris investors site ......

Polaris Industries INC. Purchases Additional KTM Shares From Institutional Investor; Maintains Interest In KTM At 24.9%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--September 7, 2005--Polaris Industries Inc. (NYSE:PII)(PSE:PII) announced today that it has purchased additional shares in Austrian motorcycle manufacturer KTM Power Sports AG through its Austrian subsidiary from an institutional investor in connection with a recently completed capital increase by KTM.

“We had anticipated this transaction when we initially purchased shares of KTM in August. KTM recently increased its outstanding capital stock as part of a transaction that resulted in it acquiring the interests of a minority shareholder in one of its subsidiaries. The purpose of the additional share purchase announced today is to maintain Polaris’ 24.9% interest in the capital stock of KTM,” stated Polaris Chief Financial Officer Mike Malone.

KTM Power Sports AG (formerly known as Cross Holding AG and currently publicly traded on the Vienna Stock Exchange under the symbol KTM) owns and controls KTM Sportmotorcycle AG, a leading European manufacturer of motorcycles. Under the terms of a share purchase agreement with an institutional investor, Polaris, through its Austrian subsidiary, purchased an additional 148,160 shares of the outstanding capital stock of KTM Power Sports AG for approximately Euros 5.9 million or approximately $7.3 million, bringing Polaris’ aggregate investment in KTM to approximately Euros 68.5 million or approximately $82.8 million. Polaris' investment in KTM Power Sports AG is expected to be neutral to Polaris' calendar year 2005 consolidated earnings per share and somewhat accretive for the full year 2006. Purchases of KTM stock were financed from borrowings under Polaris' existing bank line of credit arrangement.

As previously reported, Polaris and KTM Power Sports AG's largest shareholder, Cross Industries AG ("Cross"), have entered into option agreements which, under certain conditions in 2007, either Cross may purchase Polaris' interest in KTM Power Sports AG or, alternatively, Polaris may become the majority shareholder of KTM Power Sports AG. In the latter case, the majority of the purchase price to Cross will be settled in Polaris shares and Cross will become a significant shareholder in the combined Polaris/KTM organization. Cross' principal shareholders are KTM CEO Stefan Pierer and KTM CFO Rudolf Knünz. The exercise price under both option arrangements are based on market-based, predetermined pricing formulas to be derived from operating results of both companies in 2007.

About Polaris
Information about the complete line of Polaris products, apparel and vehicle accessories is available from authorized Polaris dealers or from the Polaris homepage at www.polarisindustries.com.

With annual 2004 sales of $1.8 billion, Polaris designs, engineers, manufactures and markets snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), Victory motorcycles and the Polaris RANGER for recreational and utility use.

Polaris is a recognized leader in the snowmobile industry; and one of the largest manufacturers of ATVs in the world. Victory motorcycles, established in 1998 and representing the first all-new American-made motorcycle from a major company in nearly 60 years, are rapidly making impressive in-roads into the motorcycle cruiser marketplace. Polaris also enhances the riding experience with a complete line of Pure Polaris apparel, accessories and parts, available at Polaris dealerships.

Polaris Industries Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange and Pacific Stock Exchange under the symbol "PII", and the Company is included in the S&P Small-Cap 600 stock price index.

About KTM
KTM Sportmotorcycle AG designs, engineers, manufactures and markets off-road and on-road motorcycles and related parts, garments and accessories with annual sales of Euros 402 million in 2004. The product portfolio consists of over 23 different off-road and on-road motorcycles ranging in engine size from 50cc to 990cc.

KTM is best known for it racing heritage. KTM has won 106 World Championship Titles, 10 in 2004 alone. The Company employs approximately 1,500 employees and assembles its engines and motorcycles in Mattighofen, Austria. Additionally, the Company manufactures exhaust systems, frames, shocks and spoke wheels. KTM sells its motorcycles through a network of over 1,400 independent dealers and approximately 50 distributors worldwide with Europe being its strongest market. Information about the complete line of KTM products, apparel and vehicle accessories is available from authorized KTM dealers or from the KTM homepage at www.ktm.com.

KTM Power Sports AG, formerly known as Cross Holding AG, is traded on the Vienna stock exchange under the symbol KTM (formerly traded under the symbol CRO). Additional information on KTM Power Sports AG can be found at www.cross-ag.com, which is in the process of being changed to www.ktm.com/investor relations.

Except for historical information contained herein, certain matters set forth in this news release are forward-looking statements that involve certain risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those forward-looking statements. Potential risks and uncertainties include such factors as product offerings, promotional activities and pricing strategies by competitors; warranty expenses; foreign currency exchange rate fluctuations; benefits from the KTM relationship; environmental and product safety regulatory activity; effects of weather; higher commodity costs; uninsured product liability claims; and overall economic conditions, including inflation and consumer confidence and spending. Investors are also directed to consider other risks and uncertainties discussed in documents filed by the company with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

okieRrider
09-24-2005, 09:11 PM
I'm sure they bought the capital stock for the finacial gain of the quad that KTM is supposedly producing. I'm sure that polaris is helping them with the pre production prototypes of the quad seeing as they have invested alot of money in KTM. I wouldn't say that they are buying them out, looks like more of a partnership...Chris

Nick_n_ii
09-24-2005, 09:20 PM
According to mag. artices and My local Polaris dealer, The KTM Polaris setup is for KTM to Help Polaris make Better Motors(seeing as KTM has the best motors on the planet hands down) and Polaris will build KTM's first ATV rolling chasse

rustbucket
09-24-2005, 09:57 PM
sounds like junk is buying junk. I'd rather have jap bikes

Meat-BoX
09-24-2005, 10:23 PM
KTM is definatly not Junk. Expand your mind. :crazy:

New2ATC
09-25-2005, 02:15 AM
i think it is a good merge together.. Polaris has nice designs and they are comfortable, and KTMs are powerful.

monster 84r
09-25-2005, 02:41 AM
but their two totally different companies... genericly speaking most of polarises bikes (excluding predator) are automatic, and geared tward less experianced riders... and from what i understand ktm is striaght up racingand high performance motors, though they make an awesome dual sport too. they focus on different people. racers, and recreational riders.

they probably wouldent be the best company if they were put together.

just tellin my 2 cents.

ATC crazy
09-25-2005, 01:29 PM
KTM is definatly not Junk. Expand your mind. :crazy:

If they team up with Poolaris, they will be IMHO :rolleyes:

hrc85250r
09-25-2005, 01:46 PM
hey guys, i talked to our polaris guys at the training center here at my college....according to them polaris will own ktm in less than 4 years....and yes it is to share R&D and help polaris gain a footing overseas...its also helping ktm with an atv program....

smokinwrench
09-25-2005, 09:41 PM
If they team up with Poolaris, they will be IMHO :rolleyes:

Yehaw for us we got the IMHO of another post whore. :welcome:

NOS_350X
09-26-2005, 02:31 AM
Ill buy a ktm 450 before a honda or yamaha. Ktm has figured out how to keep there stuff together.

grundlegrabber
09-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Sounds like the same thing that has happened to many car companies. In my opinion, this will be a move that helps Polaris by attaching themselves to the legandary quality of KTM. However, crappy Polaris designs are bound to invade the KTM lineup, and KTM quality will suffer, similar to what happened to Harley Davidson did under the ownership of AMF! KTM has got it going on, what the hell do they need Polaris to design a quad chasis for? Polaris apparently doesn't know anything about producing a lightweight, agile sport chassis!

Six Stroke
09-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Maybe a KTM snowmobile? Oooo...

bigredhead
09-28-2005, 01:27 PM
I watched KTM's zing around the motocross track all weekend long.. . nice bikes.

The 50cc class was full of them.. pretty much all the kids ride ktm's in that class.

Interesting to watch none the less.... the price of the KTM's are a bit scary tho.

RedRider_AK
09-29-2005, 02:01 AM
I want to put a KTM 300 MXC engine in my Quadsport 230 frame.... so much speed...!