PDA

View Full Version : anyone goin after fall catfish?

monster 84r
09-24-2005, 11:28 PM
does anyone have any good rigs or bait recipies for big blues? im goin fishing tomorrow, and i want to learn some new rigs.

oh i made some homemade doughbait too:

1 cup flour
a packet of cool aid for coloring, i used cherry
2 tbsp molasses
half cup corn flakes or dry dog food
1/3 cup water or dr pepper (sticky when dry)
tsp garlick
tbsp italian dressing
tbsp bbq sauce

this stuff is great, put it into a cheese cloth or pantyhose and it brings in cats like crazy.

chris200x
09-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Catfishing is my passion! :w00t:

I've used a concaucsion almost like that for cats. cornflakes, veggie oil, flour and peanut butter. ;) also works well for carp!

The best advice I can give is when you catch one check the stomach contents to see what there feeding on. Depending on what kind of water (lake or river) The natural bait may vary a bit. We don't have blues in Pa but I've been blue fishing many times down south. I've found very fresh shad, bluegill, crayfish or large shiners work best for all types of cats. Fresh chicken livers or gizzards also work well. Keep the bait on ice. That whole stinky leave it out in the sun for a while method is a myth (IMO)

Oh, also the good ole nightcrawler (A bunch of them on a large hook) is also a good choice.

Ordo
09-24-2005, 11:52 PM
First where are you going to be fishing at river, lake, pond, and what state? Do you have a boat? Let me know alittle more and I'll help you out.

monster 84r
09-24-2005, 11:52 PM
sometimes i catch a few small minows, which work great for bait too. i just cant really find a rig that works for me. i usually put a 1oz slider about 2 feet from the hook, and put a split shot in front of it so that it stays away from the hook. what kind of setup do you guys run? biggest fish? ive caught a 21 pounder before but lately its been little 7 pounders.

monster 84r
09-24-2005, 11:54 PM
i have a 21foot sea ray sevile me and my dad restored, were goin to a big lake in az. we usually just park at a beach and cast out into a murkey channel.

Ordo
09-25-2005, 12:15 AM
Not too familiar with fishing down there. But on larger lakes we drift the flats for large blues useing fresh cut gizzard shad or coagulated blood. If you plan on setting up from the bank try to find a feeder creek that dumps into the lake or a cove that has high banks. Then try to set your bait in the thermal climb. It's an area in the water measured in depth. I've caught most of my large blues in water that was 20ft deep but were holding in the thermal climb 6 to 7ft off the bottom. Look up your local conservation site online and the can supply you the water elavation tables which help you find a good spot to set up for bank fishing and drifting.

chris200x
09-25-2005, 12:20 AM
I also use large 1-2 oz. slip sinkers. I would recommend using a swivel instead of the split shot. To hold the sinker from sliding down to the hook. With a 1-2 ft. leader. I mostly river fish for cats but they like deep pools and snags. Anywhere there are trees lying in the water close to deep water is a good starting point. You can also locate underwater creek channels large boulders and holes with a fish/depth finder... a must have and will save you alot of time. I've caught them in the 12-20 lb range but blue cats grow much larger. A good heavy action fiberglass rod and 30 lb line is what i use.

Within the last couple years I started using circle hooks for cats and I have improved my hookups alot. Basically the fish hooks itself. It grabs your bait and swims away with it. The hooks pulls up and hooks them in the corner of the mouth everytime! No need to set the hook. i'm starting to jones just thinkin about it!!! :lol:

EDIT: If you can afford it try jumbo shrimp (the peel and eat kind) for bait!!! I've been very succesful with shrimp!

monster 84r
09-25-2005, 01:37 AM
those circle hooks are great. i use the same thing for halibut in alaska, and they hook up every time. oh, i almost forgot to tell you guys about the last time i was at the lake. i was at a beach fishing for about 3 hours with no luck. the boat next to me was reeling in fish after fish, so i asked them what they were using for bait. the dude pulls out a box of crispy creme doughnuts (delicious, best ever if you havent tried them). i was stunned. after trying a doughnut in a pantyhose, i hooked a descent channel cat. haha, id rather eat the bait than the fish though.