PDA

View Full Version : Buying a sand blaster

kilabeez0
02-15-2003, 06:13 PM
On ebay they always have these sandblasting kits for like $100 sometimes even with the cab. Do these include EVERYTHING needed to plug in and go? The descriptions are usually vague and the price is probably too good. But what does it need to run if it comes with the cab, sand holder, hoses, etc? Does it need a special air compressor or do they come with one?

kilabeez0
02-15-2003, 06:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2507222225&category=1267

kilabeez0
02-15-2003, 06:33 PM
This compressor is only $50 and goes up to 135 psi. Would that be enough to operate mechanics tools as well?

http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1609862748.104 5361297@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceladchigffldkcehgcemgdffmdflf.0&vertical=SEARS&fromAuto=YES&bidsite=CRAFT&pid=00916720000

Nevermind, I just realized that SEARS is actually selling it on ebay?!?!!? Isn't that weird???

Honda300ex
02-15-2003, 06:54 PM
I bought my sandblaster at walmart for $35 it comes with a gun, feed hose, and nozels You just put the hose in the bucket of sand and it will draw it out works pretty good. You have to conect it to a aircompresor though and you will need the adaptor for it.

Mobular
02-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Kil, that sandblaster still requires a compressor that will supply 100psi. The larger the tank the better too!

kilabeez0
02-16-2003, 12:57 AM
Does anyone know a good website to purchase everything? Or where I can actually go and buy one. This is my first restoration, and although it runs perfect, I want everything new and factory looking :twisted:

Honda300ex
02-16-2003, 01:37 AM
WALMART thats where i got mine it works good but make sure you have alot of sand ;)

KLT Man
02-16-2003, 03:05 AM
I will agree with Honda300ex

The nozzle of which he speaks works well, and you do need alot of sand.
I've used mine on 3 restoration jobs.
Of course, you need to have a compressor that will provide 100PSI for a good job. I'd say a 5hp compressor with a 20gal tank at minimum.

The compressor in the link above is similar to mine. It will also work well, but it runs more often than a large tank compressor. I've got a slave tank setup and it helps.

Just my Nickle and Dime. :-D :-D :-D

kilabeez0
02-16-2003, 03:13 AM
Well where did you guys get the cabinet is my major concern?

Mobular
02-16-2003, 03:52 AM
try www.harborfreight.com

KLT Man
02-16-2003, 03:53 AM
CABINET :?: :!: :?: :!: :?: :!:

I don't use no stinkin cabinet. :D :D :D

kilabeez0
02-16-2003, 03:11 PM
Would this be big enough?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=45411

And a pressurized tank still needs a compressor right? Does a 20lb tank like this hold enough sand?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44762

Those items are relatively cheap, I guess it's the compressor I have to spend like $300 on :shock: :shock: :shock:

TimSr
02-17-2003, 01:19 AM
Almost any compressor will do 100-120psi. The 12v car ones will do almost double that. The thing to look for is how much airflow they can deliver and sustain which is determined by pump, motor, and tank size, rather than looking at top pressure. My budget compressor hits 120psi with no problem, but I bought an air cutting tool which I can run for about 15 seconds after which I have to wait another 5 minutes for it to pump back up again. Its useless on this compressor. My air impact is great, but after 8 or so nuts, I have to let it pump back up too. They have airflow ratings on specific airtools, which you match to the compressor's capacity.

FullBore
02-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Ideally for blasting you want a compressor that will deliver around 14CFM thats cubic foot per minute, no less really unless you want to wait forever for the tank to fill.
Our friend who blasts 18 wheeler chassis's and such, has a compressor driven by a Cummins V8 Diesel that can deliver 1000CFM at 80PSI!
Cool or what!

Nat

kilabeez0
02-17-2003, 06:18 PM
Wouldn't it be a waste to blast without a cabinet, because you can't re-use the sand? And what is a good media to use for my project?

Dirtcrasher
02-18-2003, 07:44 PM
Caboinets are perfect for small items and tanks are for frames and stuff. I bought a 6hp 30 gallon CRAFTSMAN compressor for 284$ even got a special deal which gave me free 3/8 air tools with it. It will run my 60lb pressure sandblaster (harbor freight jobber) for a bit, but does have to build up after that. All in all it works very well, sandblasting is a tiring tough job, but always better than stripping or sanding! My first Craftsman lasted 13 years until I sold it to buy this unit.

kilabeez0
02-19-2003, 02:30 AM
Hey Dirtcrasher, I live in Salem NH, and work in mass. How far away are you, town exactly? Would you be interested in sandblasting my frame and a few odds and ends for me? $$$ ;)

Dan Tenn
02-19-2003, 11:40 AM
The first thing that you need is a compressor that will supply at least 10 scfm (cubic feet per minute) at 90 psi. I have used the smaller compressors like the craftsman one earlier in the post, but you can only blast for a couple of minutes before your psi is down below 60. At 60 psi, the blaster doesnt work worth a crap. Then you have to wait five minutes for the psi to build back to above 100. Spend 250-350 on a good compressor, and you can use it for at least 20 years, and it will have plenty of power also. There are two types of blasters: Cabinet type that are good for smaller items and recycle the blast medium, and the cheap bucket and hose version. I have both for specific applications. The cabinet I got a great deal on ($150 from an auction) I use either glass beads or ground walnut shells as the blast medium (for delicate stuff). Its nice that it recycles, because that stuff is not really cheap. The bucket and hose I got from sears for $75 bucks. I have several abandoned sand mines in our area, so sand is plentiful and free, it just needs to be sifted and relatively dry before using. I use that for heavy rusted, and large pieces. I really believe that the compressor is the most important piece in blasting. You can always borrow a blaster from someone, and youll always have a use for a good compressor. I hope this helps, and sorry for the long post.

FullBore
02-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Talking about mediums, Aluminium oxide at 90psi is good for cleaning off paint and shining up alloy, then after you have done your alloy with alu ox you do it with glass beads at about 40psi and this flats it off and leaves a nice surface. If you want to blast a Carburettor the newest thing to use if you have a cabinet is Bicarbinate of Soda, this will bring a carb up like new, Honestly! make sure its dry though!

Nat