PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth, and Question for midwestern farmers

YAMAHA_Jim
09-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I think I'm looking down at western Kansas on Google Earth. Are those really round crop fields I see down there? What kind of tractors and eqipment would you use in round fields?
Anyone that hasnt checked out GoogleEarth, get it here. Its free!!http://earth.google.com/ You can see some of my ATV trails east of Rock Hill,NY. My house is just outside of the part thats in focus east of rock hill.

CHAINSAW
09-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Yes they are infact round fields. Almost everything out here is irrigated, and 95% of the irrigated is done by center pivot setups. A lot of these fields are corn in the circle, with either wheat or cotton on the outside making little triangles.

I laugh when people ask about them or fly over and see the circles... Im just so used to it, us out here just expect that every farmer in the *.S. farms the same way we do in Southwest Kansas.

Also.. notice the lack of trees!!

Wickedfinger
09-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Ever use Terraserver Jim?

Howdy
09-26-2005, 06:46 PM
Terraserver is good for still pictures. But oogleearth allows you to be able to move around, rotate pictures and such. You can also get directions and a vast amount of other goodies.

Yamaha Jim, I see your still checking "GE" out. It's highly addicting. It's nice to set the viewing so that you can view Earth as if your flying over it ( not available on terraserver to my knowledge ). ;)
Howdy

YAMAHA_Jim
09-26-2005, 06:50 PM
I've seen pics of those irrigation things that work on pivots,just never realized how big the fields were. Some of them are huge.
Yes,I've used terraserver before but not recently. Howdy was talking about Google Earth in chat the other night so I went to check it out.I've been playing with it ever since.
Almost every powerline I came across has an atv trail snaking through it,lol even the ones going through Rock Hill. I also saw some trails not to far from me that I never knew existed. I guess I really should be careful what I do in my backyard b/c big brother is watching.

smokinwrench
09-26-2005, 10:09 PM
Most center pivot sprinklers out here are 1/4 mile or 1/2 mile. Pretty much irrigate an entire section of ground except for the corners.

Most irrigation wells run between 500-1800 gallons per minute in southwest Ks. Just think there are thousands of irrigation engines out here.

ATC crazy
09-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Ever use Terraserver Jim?

That and Terra Fly is what I use. Google sucks for my area.