PDA

View Full Version : 06 yfz owners READ!!!!!!!!

okieRrider
10-07-2005, 01:25 PM
I saw this on exriders and figured i'd pass it along.
http://gtthunder.com/YFZ450/2006YFZ450.htm

Blown 331
10-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow, that's crazy. I think to fix it I'd be taking it back to the dealer.

brapp
10-07-2005, 01:38 PM
thats a yama haha for ya, i love my hondas but i like the older yammys liek the shee and the tri-z thats bout it.

max
10-07-2005, 02:35 PM
Its People And Post Like This That Make This Site Great And Informative. Thanks

250r'en +TCB
10-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Maybe this will leave them singing that Toby kieth song "I should have been a cowboy" only they'll be saying "I should have bought a HONDA". HAHAHA Funny how engineers could miss something like that??? Oh well, just buy a 450r, solves that proublem!!!

Billy Golightly
10-07-2005, 07:24 PM
Not engineers...but assemblers. When I worked at the Yamaha/Honda dealership we had a couple really questionable things from Yamaha AND Honda both. More of the Yamaha's though. Like, drain plugs cross threaded, ground wires sitting right ontop of the frame paint with the clear coat still there and the end of a spark plug where the wire goes on bent so bad we had to use a pair of vice grips on the boot to get it off.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-07-2005, 09:08 PM
You cant down a whole name brand of machines just b/c someone didnt do thier job.I find it hard to believe that this could happen to ALL 2006 YFZ's,and if it did,then I would blame it on the engineers for not knowing how much torque is needed to hold a bolt in place. Aren't the 06 YFZ motors the same as 04 and 05?? Why didnt the first YFZ's have this problem?

Billy, In regards to the ground wire laying on the frame paint. Isnt the wire still touching the frame through the screw/bolt. I do alot of painting and never scrape the paint off for that.I havent had a problem with one yet. lol,My paintjobs are way to nice to be scraping off for a lil ground wire :).....then again I usually smash the frame by accident atleast once during reassembly with a ratchet or wrench.

okieRrider,Thanx for passing that along.

TimSr
10-07-2005, 09:26 PM
Somebody correct me if Im wrong (dont worry, Im not) but the 450R had a lot bumpier debut with bugs than the YFZ450 did. Both are fine machines. Blind alliance to a name brand deprives a person of the ability to learn. Granted, Honda dominated the ATV market in the 80's, but can anybody tell me what great contributions Honda made to the ATV world in the 90's and who sold the most sport quads during that time?

okieRrider
10-07-2005, 09:32 PM
No problem guys I didn't know if anyone here had a new one or not but figured it was worth the read even if someones uncles mother dogs brother in law has one....lol. I do not believe this was an engineering factor I just think the assembly was wrong or had the wrong torque, or it just wasn't done in the first place.

69HemiGTX
10-07-2005, 10:03 PM
I can't think that this is a widespread situation. Isolated at best. It wouldn't hurt to check, but I just don't think that this would affect every new YFZ. It's not like the engineers one day said "Hey Shinji, I think I'm gonna specify 1/4 the proper torque for these two bolts for no reason." :crazy: I would have to say that it would come down to the person who assembled the engine.

Somebody correct me if Im wrong (dont worry, Im not) but the 450R had a lot bumpier debut with bugs than the YFZ450 did. Both are fine machines. Blind alliance to a name brand deprives a person of the ability to learn. Granted, Honda dominated the ATV market in the 80's, but can anybody tell me what great contributions Honda made to the ATV world in the 90's and who sold the most sport quads during that time?

Amen to that Tim. :beer I have nothing against Honda owners, hell, I am one, but I do get sick of the infallible attitude most hold. Honda isn't perfect, and most are basing their opinions off the products of the eighties or what they have heard other people say. :rolleyes:

250r'en +TCB
10-07-2005, 10:05 PM
TimSr, I'm not sure if your aware (you proubly are) that Honda made a deal not to make a performance quad for ten years. they stopped production of the TRX250R in 89, then came out with the 400EX in 1999. All they had in between then was the 300ex, their only "performance" quad. LOL!!! ANyway do you think Honda really wanted to stop making the 250R??? It won all the races, it was a HUGE hit!! I don't know the exact terms of the deal honda made, but it's clear one was made. I'm sure Honda wouldn't have sat by watching everybody out'do them willingly. They had motors like the 250R and 350x to work with, which later evoled to the 400ex.
It really is to bad that deal was made......we could have had the 250r still today!!!!!!!!!!

Lots_Of_Nothing
10-07-2005, 10:45 PM
TimSr, I'm not sure if your aware (you proubly are) that Honda made a deal not to make a performance quad for ten years. they stopped production of the TRX250R in 89, then came out with the 400EX in 1999. All they had in between then was the 300ex, their only "performance" quad. LOL!!! ANyway do you think Honda really wanted to stop making the 250R??? It won all the races, it was a HUGE hit!! I don't know the exact terms of the deal honda made, but it's clear one was made. I'm sure Honda wouldn't have sat by watching everybody out'do them willingly. They had motors like the 250R and 350x to work with, which later evoled to the 400ex.
It really is to bad that deal was made......we could have had the 250r still today!!!!!!!!!!

Please enlighten me on this "deal" :rolleyes:

I wont type up a good reply just yet, I wanna hear what you have to say. Tell me some more specifics. Perhaps the name of this "deal" :lol:

TimSr
10-07-2005, 10:46 PM

A deal with whom? What did Honda get out of this deal? I heard that rumor. I also heard that the 250R was SO FAST that they had too many lawsuits. I believe both rumors are baloney, and Ive never seen any evidence or doucmentation to support either one. Remember, the Banshee introduced in 1987 never ceased production. It was certainly a performance quad. Why would Honda make an agreement with anyone to bow to the competition? The best theory I heard, that is supported, was that Honda saw two stroke emmissions regulations in the near future, and concentrated on the 4 stroke market. Only problem was they missed the mandated two stroke phase out by about 15 years! By the mid 90's they realized they jumped the gun and made a mistake, and pursued the idea of throwing out another performance quad. They still saw an end to two strokes, and it was too late in the game to release another 2 stroke so they got this idea from earlier racers putting 350x motors on a 250R chassis. Yes, I know, the 400EX is NOT a 350x on a 250R chassis, but it pretty well captured the essence and is the idea the 400EX was built on. The 400EX was really nothing new, or anything technologically advanced. It was a 10 year old chassis design, with a slightly newer design 4 stroke engine. Great machine, but nothing new here.

The 300EX was a 250X with an electric starter, and a longer stroke. Nothing new here either.

The answer to my question is that Honda contributed practically nothing to sport ATVs in the 90's. While Yamaha didnt really offer anything new, they continued to produce the two most successful sport ATV models during the 90's, The Banshee and the Blaster. I believe they even outsold Hondas with the Warrior during that period, but IM not sure on that one.

Hondas are great machines, but to label them the best ATVs of all time, you have to ignore a 10 year span when Yamaha's completely ruled. Ill give it to Honda in the 80's. Ill give it to Yamaha in the 90's. Ill give it to Honda for the first few years of the new millenium, but today Ill give you a coin to toss.

250r'en +TCB
10-07-2005, 11:09 PM
^^^ I understand completely what you are saying. I just doubt that Honda over shot the emmisions thing by 15 years.......come on now, in all seriousness!?!?!?! honda over-shot by 15 years yet yamaha managed to keep it's banshee and blaster to the bitter end, 2007??? Yeah that seems likely.....
Anyway if Honda was trying to concentrate all their effort on 4-strokes, then why did it take them till 1999 to make the 400ex?? Practicly the same engine as the 350x and a very familiar chassis. I completely agree with you that the 400ex was nothing new or really impressive. Neither was the banshee or blaster for that matter. There had to have been some kind of agreement made with the CPSC or something. After all, Honda invented ATV's and sold the most. So most people died or got hurt on their products. You can easily see why the CPSC or whomever would hate them with a passion!!! I HIGHLY doubt honda would sit by for a decade and do nothing to compete with yamaha or other companies, not willingly anyway....

On a side note, it's kind of sad how slow ATV's evlved in the 1990's. I mean, nothing new was made in the way of sport models until the 400ex really...I think the 1990's were truely crappy times for ATV's. Now we have plenty of competition agian! I can't frigan wait for the 450r vs YFZ vs Z450 shootout!!!

smokinwrench
10-07-2005, 11:29 PM
^^I completely agree with you that the 400ex was nothing new or really impressive. Neither was the banshee or blaster for that matter. !!!

You are 100% wrong. When the banshee came out in 1987 it was unreal and everyone I knew wanted one. I personnally don't like the banshee because the way it handles. But all things aside the banshee flat out hauls arse.

The blaster is still a near perfect small sport quad. Yeah they had/have brake issues. I love riding the blasters, a person can manhandle them and throw them anywhere you want to put them. Name another quad you can buy brand new for $3,200 and get that much performance. Install a pipe and kn filter and you have a machien that can run with nearly any machien out there.

Blown 331
10-08-2005, 01:39 PM
[QUOTE=YAMAHA_Jim] Aren't the 06 YFZ motors the same as 04 and 05?? Why didnt the first YFZ's have this problem? [QUOTE]

I don't know all the specifics but they did change the 06 YFZ motor. I do know that it gained 9cc's and lost .5 on the compression ratio. I'm sure there are more changes as well.
Timsr. I was not aware of a bumpy introduction for the 450R. Or do you mean they couldn't get it out in time? I put a down payment in around October of 03 and was told I'd have the first one that this dealer got in early December, well that turned into late January of 04. I did hear rumors there were trans issues and that was the cause of the delay, just rumors as far as I know.

I do also know that when I bought my new 2003 400EX. The 400EX outsold all other sport quad's combined by a 2 to 1 margine.

G-MAN-1
10-08-2005, 08:52 PM
ok here i go again.lol.............i dont know about this honda deal they made, not making a performance atv. but there is one thing that I WILL SAY . they didnt have to make a new machine b/c there 250r machines didnt have to be replaced. they knew what they made so they said . hey we can beat all machines for 10 years with out spending any money. and lets see what other manufactures can do. then when yamaha came out with the yfz they said hey we can beat that. and o yeh they didnt have to worry about those green and yellow things they knew they couldnt win. just my 2 cents. but mostly true...........i mean come on you still see 250r s at the races and they still win..............

Billy Golightly
10-08-2005, 09:28 PM
Billy, In regards to the ground wire laying on the frame paint. Isnt the wire still touching the frame through the screw/bolt. I do alot of painting and never scrape the paint off for that.I havent had a problem with one yet. lol,My paintjobs are way to nice to be scraping off for a lil ground wire :).....then again I usually smash the frame by accident atleast once during reassembly with a ratchet or wrench.

Yeah, it kind of works but your only getting half of your ground area as opposed to if the frame was clean in that spot. Its not something that'll totally kill the fire or disrupt the ground, but it makes a difference. The dirbike that had that on it (YZ85) came in for hard starting and after we scraped the paint off and put it back together it cranked on the first kick everytime.

Yardbird
10-08-2005, 09:30 PM
About the only thing I heard on the Yammies when they first came out was a problem with the charging system for the battery. The Honda I haven't heard of any initial problems other than they were slower in stock trim or was that a rumor?

TimSr
10-08-2005, 10:26 PM
OKay, Ill go back to my question. I agree, the TRX250R was a great quad. I also agree, the 400EX was/is a great quad. My question is, what did Honda contribute to sport quads in the 10 year span between the 250R and the 400EX? An ATV mfg is in the business of selling quads. The "The 250R was so great they didnt need another one" argument doesnt make sense. Pro Quad racing tanked after 89 because there was no point in sponsering racers to ride quads that wereent made any more. They could have, and should have made and SOLD the 250R for another 10 years, like Yamaha did. Why didnt they? What DID they contribute during that period.

Mosh
10-09-2005, 10:04 AM
i agree with tim sr. honda did nothin in the 90,s. my stand on that is, 1 they were content with the things they had done.2 they brought in bean counters to better thier profits,by not doing research for new models.3 they were afraid to take a chance on a new sport quad and when they introduced the 400ex,they sold like hotcakes.but keep in mind a few months later the raptor came out. yamaha new that honda had no intentions of a big bore fourstroke to replace the banshee and others like it.now honda finds themselves like ten years behind yamaha. i have ridden both the new 450 quads and the yfz just plain out destroys the honda. i mean even suzuki 1 upped honda with the z-400. it was a better sport quad by far over the 400ex.i just think honda basically gave up on the sport quad market during the 90,s becuase they thought that they had tim farr still dominating on a fully modded aftermarket 250r and there was not much attention being paid to the quads. becuase of their procrastinating now they are in the hole. the new raptor will be the new big bore dune bike once the 2 stroke ban is implicated on federal lands. honda does not even show any interest in competing with the new raptor.that raptor WILL replace the banshee as far as duning goes.oh by the way tim, honda did come out with that great eletric shifter box on the utility quads. that thing was great. it only cost 600 bucks to replace that after a minor roll. ha ha lol.

250r'en +TCB
10-09-2005, 10:05 AM
^^^ EXACTLY!!!! Thats what I'm trying to say! There had to have been some sort of agreement made between honda and whomever! Why would they just stop making a quad that was dominating race tracks and a huge hit with the public???

By the way, what contibutions did yamaha make in the 90's to sport quads? The banshee and the blaster are the same thing they were in the 80's when they first came out!!!

TimSr
10-09-2005, 07:43 PM
By the way, what contibutions did yamaha make in the 90's to sport quads? The banshee and the blaster are the same thing they were in the 80's when they first came out!!!

Yamaha showed little in the way of anything NEW. Their contribution was that they continued to produce and sell their very successful top 3 sport models at record numbers thanks to their biggest competitor rolling over. Thats my gripe about Honda. Why stop producing a successful product, without a repacement. Yamaha's Banshee replacement has been in the works for years. They didnt just drop the Banshee and retroke the Blaster as a replacement.

I still very unclear about this supposed agreement. It could not have existed between Honda and the CPSC, or Yamaha would not have been able to continue to produce the Banshee. I dont believe it existed. I believe it was nothing more than a marketing blunder based on a faulty forecast of things to come. Whatever the reason, if they stopped production on a successful machine while their competitors continued to produce theirs, Honda made a really bad blunder, whether it be in their management, or their inability to assemble a competent legal team.

90nut
10-09-2005, 09:56 PM
People always say that hondas are bullet proof, and you cant hurt them and yadda yadda. Myself on the other hand still have total unconditional faith in my yamahas. Ever honda I have ever owned has gave me problems, I mean it is not because I beat the crud out of them or don't preform maintance on them it must just be that I always get lemons or somethin. The ol' yamahas though we flog on those babys al day long and al we do is change the oil and clean air filter. That is the most important thing to do to anything. Change oild and clen air filters and your golden. People say that you can't buy a new 250r but oh, you still can, for like 8 GRAND!! The price is redicoulus. I personally would never spen that much money on one though.

NOS_350X
10-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Honda treats there atv's second to there motercycles. With the demise of 3 wheelers i THINK they felt that quads where going to go down too. Its sad but true that honda dosent put very good R&D into there quads like they do there bikes. While atv's get BNG the MX bikes get a complete overhaul every 2 years

Kintore
10-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Yamaha showed little in the way of anything NEW. Their contribution was that they continued to produce and sell their very successful top 3 sport models at record numbers thanks to their biggest competitor rolling over. Thats my gripe about Honda. Why stop producing a successful product, without a repacement. Yamaha's Banshee replacement has been in the works for years. They didnt just drop the Banshee and retroke the Blaster as a replacement.

I totally agree, yamaha was thinking ahead and started to plan the shees replacement. The 700 raptor. Like you said Tim, they kept making em the same, and kept working on a replacement. IMO the 660 raptor was just a "test run" for the new 700. And also agree why did Honda stop making the R when it was so succesfull and nothing to take its place?

brapp
10-10-2005, 12:43 PM
they should ban all those junk quads at the pep boys stores and the ones tha you can pick up for a few hundred bucks, they are the ones that will be killing peopel oin time and will elad to the end of quads, kinda like my oppinion that the little 110's and the little non suspended model trikes were, yeah there were accidents on the bigger faster trikes btu the little balooner tires and the lack of suspension will kell soemoen really fast if they dont knwo what thier doing. and its goign to be the same way with these junk quads comign out of the woodwork that you will not be able to get parts and peopel will start riggign them and then people get hurt, just my .02 cents. i may be wroong btu its what i think will happen.