PDA

View Full Version : <<Snowmobile Question>>

Yamaha_Rules69
02-17-2003, 12:35 AM
I dont know how much you guys know about snowmobiles, but I need some help about an engine swap. Heres the story

I own a 1984 Arcticat El Tigre 6000. It is a beater 500cc sled. The engine runs pretty good, but the frame has no suspension at all. My friend has a 1989 polaris Indy Trail frame he has for sale (with no motor, the engine was a 488cc.) and wants $100 for it. My question is will my arcticat 500cc engine fit into a polaris chassis, or will i have to do a lot of modifying? Thanx

ATCkrazy
02-17-2003, 09:20 AM
The tigre has a Sprit AH50L3 as I recall, it should fit as long as the mounting bolt line up AND the belt can be centerd(off center means it will eat the belt) wireing probably wont work unless you cob it.

Kilborg
02-18-2003, 02:37 AM
Problem: Using outdated technology and attempting to update this outdated technology with newer but still outdated technology

Solution: Buy a newer sled if you can.

The indy trail chassis would be a fair upgrade, though. Mounting the engine should be no problem at all, even if you have to make a custom plate. The electrical side of things is pretty easy as well, just take your time with it and it would turn out okay. I'v ran numerous snomobiles with different engines swapped into them (even some deal we put together with a motorcycle engine, still used the clutch and had a custom shift linkage, what a peice of trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro but it was fun). It's best to try and get someone to help you if your inexperienced here, since it's easy to misalign something or another and you end up eating belts or other parts.

Yamaha_Rules69
02-20-2003, 12:08 AM
I think one of the problems im going to have is mounting the radiator. It has no mounting plate, or anywhere to put one, but maybe i can figure somthing out.