PDA

View Full Version : Metal Tank Rust

kernalklink
10-10-2005, 11:16 AM
Some day i plan on getting a plastic tank for my 110 but i dont see any reason untill then why i cant user the dented metal one. Except the fact that it is full of rust... well not full but has some rust and i was wondering about the lining stuff you can get.
Does it work?
What brands are Available?
How hard is it to install?
how long does it take to complete?
how much does it cost?
If you cant tell i dont know a thing about it i have just heard it is a viable solution to rust.

thanks
casey

yamahaman89
10-10-2005, 11:47 AM
instead of wasting time and moey just go buy
a plastic tank

kernalklink
10-10-2005, 01:50 PM
but they cost like $100, and i dont, how would you say... have the money!

if you know where i can get a plastic cheaper....?

Cody
10-10-2005, 03:47 PM
Or just sandblast the metal one...

Howdy
10-10-2005, 03:48 PM
Your not alone when it comes to having a Rusty tank. I just sealed a couple tanks yesterday myself. Since Jeswinehart found Red-Kote I have been able to salvage quite a few tanks, and 0ne tank leaked like a sprinkler ( yea, it was a Kawasaki Tank KLT160 ). So I will recommend Red-Kote here also. Once you use Red-Kote you shouldn't need to find a Plastic Tank. Here are The steps I used yesterday:
Emptied the gas from the tank. I then used a rag and compressed air to get 99.9% of the gas out. I then poured a cup or so of ascetone into the tank. I Sloshed this around so it reached every nook and granny of the tank. Then I drained it out into a plastic cup. I pour another cup of fresh ascetonec into the tank and repeated aboev. When I poured it out ( ascetone ), it came out clean. Note: Thius told me the tank was about ready. Once again I used a rag and compressed air to dry the CLEAN tank Completely! Once the tank was dry I removed the fuel petcock and taped off the whole for it. I then poured the "Red-Kote" into the gas tank and slowly rotated it so that it completely coated the inside. Note: I don't install the gas cap while doing this. I am very careful so that I don't spill the Red-Kote out. But you will drip a little now and then. You might put tape over the opening after the Red-Kote is in it to avoid this. Once I have rotated the tank and got it completely covered, I then pour the remainder of the Red,-Kte out of the tank and back into the can it came in. I do this by turning the tank Upside down and putting the opening on top of the can. I leave it sit there for 10-15 minutes. I then rotate the tank the the side where the Petcock mounts and let it sit on it's side for 5 minutes or so. I then remove the tape on the Petcock hole and use this hole to drain the last bit of extra Red-Kote out ( and back into the can ). Let it drain ( 5-10 minutes ) or so ( until it only drips slightly ).
Close and seal the can of Red-Kote and save it. A quart of Red-Kote will line 3-4 ATV tanks.
In the mean time, leave the gas cap and the petcock off the tank and let it dry for a day or 2 until it's completely dry. Yu can speed up this proccess a little with a light air flow. Letting it dry is VERY Critical!! DO NOT put gas nto the tank until it is 100% dry. Failer to follow this step will cause MEGA problems. Once the Tank is dry install the pet cock ( may need to cleant he mounting surface for it ), install the tank on the machine and add gas. And your done.

Howdy

Howdy
10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Where can you get some Red-Kote? You may find it at a local radiator shop, and or auto parts store. The bad thing for me is that no place around here carries it. So I now get mine from zpt289 on Ebay ( trying to give Jeswiinehart a break, lol ). There is one can listed on there now. His auction ends in 17-18 hours. BIN For $17 plus shipping.
http://cgi.ebay.com/FUEL-TANK-RELINER-USE-WITH-GAS-OR-DIESEL-QT_W0QQitemZ7550542637QQcategoryZ71367QQcmdZViewIt em

Tell him howdyfrom3wheelerworld sent ya. ;)
Howdy

Lomax
10-10-2005, 04:51 PM
Plastic tanks suck. they never fit right and they always look so cheaply made. Take your time and redo the inside of the metal one and then have all then dents fixed and have it repainted. looks 100% better IMO.

kernalklink
10-10-2005, 05:10 PM
very cool thanks

Howdy
10-10-2005, 06:50 PM
very cool thanks

That goes to John! He has been saying this for a lot longer than me. If I had only listened to him the first time, I could have saved me a LOT of agrivation ( and money spent on Tanks )!!

Howdy

42F67N
10-10-2005, 08:04 PM
I use por 15 to seal tanks and the stuff is awesome!

firefirefire90
10-10-2005, 10:26 PM
I agree like crazy, POR15 is the way to go..only takes 90 hours and you're done.

kernalklink
10-12-2005, 04:17 PM
I had planned on covering the palstic with camo tape from cabelas, i already have the rest of the trike (fenders) covered with it and it looks sweet. I dont think that it will last too long, but it looks way cool! But if it is not going to fit well, then screw that, why spend $100 on a plastic tank when i have a very nice (2 shallow dents) metal tank. I was just worried about the rust elimination process. I really wanted the 3 wheeler to be very reliable because i plan on making some serious trips with it, i have a jeep cherokee and the 110 slides right in the back!! I dont want ot get somewhere and have a rust hole in my gas tank and gas all over my jeep. So i will give this "red cote" a try and i thank you for all the helpfull tips.

P.S. Howdy - that pull starter was great and thanks!

ccoil

42F67N
10-12-2005, 05:41 PM
camo tape will hold up but not the walmart 3 dollar a roll stuff i have some on my 125m pictured below on it i used camo tape from dicks sporting goods that was 8 bucks a roll , i take this trike threw alot of water and mud and it holds up good but does start to get bubbles after a while but its not peeling off.

newton
09-11-2007, 02:27 AM
where did the camo plastic com from can i get some for 84 200es bigred

icp4life162005
09-11-2007, 04:07 AM
Its not camo plastic. its Duck/Duct Tape, with a camo design instead of the usual silver/gray. You can get it a walmart, and any outdoors/ sporting goods store.