PDA

View Full Version : Battery question

YAMAHA_Jim
10-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Are all atv batteries the same? ,,or do they have diferent cranking amps like a car battery?None of my atv's require batteries except for the ytm200 and I havent touched that battery since i bought the machine.
I have a 95 polaris 300 4x4 that needs a battery. I sent a friend to a polaris dealer for a battery and they wouldnt sell him a battery b/c he didnt bring the old one with him to match it.The dealer told him polaris uses 8 different batteries. WHat is wrong here when you provide a dealer with all the info on a machine required to buy something and they cant sell you what you need,,WTF!
Next question. Can I buy a battery for this polaris at walmart or a hardware store? Since the ordeal w/ the dealer I looked online for the battery and can only find them as cheap as $52. I'm hoping wally world has them for half that :)
Thanx

bigredhead
10-13-2005, 05:24 PM
12v Lead acid batteries come in all sizes/shapes, the dealer should have been able to look up the model and size required..... ugh... dealers.

Get a Sealed Lead Acid battery... bring yours to match the size and you can leave the old one there so they can recycle it at the same time !!

Walmart may very well have them... a phone call would tell you if they do, or look it up online.

they do come in various a/h ( amp/hour ) ratings and Cold Cranking Amps ratings.. but don't be overly worried about it, an ATV motor is not that hard to turn over.

Consider E-Bay.. lots of batteries there.. search SLA 12v .

smokinwrench
10-13-2005, 07:28 PM
I buy all my atv batteries at Walmart. I just measure it and get the closest size available that fits. I have even went a couple sizes smaller to get the cheapest battery they sell and have never had any problems.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-13-2005, 09:30 PM
Thanx for the info guys.

Howdy
10-13-2005, 10:09 PM
I just take and measure the battery for size. I then head to Wal Mart and find a battery of the same size ( 12volt ).
Howdy

ScottZJ
10-13-2005, 10:19 PM
I use the lawn tractor batteries for my big red and it works great. In fact, I mounted it in the back trunk to fit the larger battery. It will last longer, crank faster and I can use more lights or power options.

bigredhead
10-13-2005, 10:24 PM
Hey scott.

if you use more power than the battery receives from the charging system, a bigger battery ( more amp/hours ) will help, but check the voltage once in a while and you may have to plug it into a charger once in a while to keep it topped off.

When you pick your battery.. get one that is totally sealed.. you don't want the kind with the covers that you open and add water into... that's ok on a vehicle that stays on relatively flat terrain and on street bikes.. but not for an ATV.

3 weelin geezer
10-14-2005, 03:48 AM
Ok, that machine may come with several size batteries that do the same job but one will last longer because it was 'overdesigned' for that application. Most people don't consider the size they need because it doesn't occur to them to look :wondering becuase they don't even know what they are supposed to be looking for in the first place :wondering and the phrase " :mad: but I bought it here last time. :mad: " is meaningless. If the sales man shows the customer 3 different sizes to choose from, The customer will just keep saying " I want the one it has now." without knowing how to communicate the size and the salesman can't tell by telepathy either so they just get mad at each other. :mad: Or the customer will get the wrong one, fill it, charge it and throw away the reciept making that battery unsaleable as 'new' to be able to return it for a full refund and of course claim it was bought before the warranty expired even if it wasn't when it went bad because it just couldn't handle the load. But hey, it was the least expensive. That is sometimes the sole factor in convincing the person to buy that particular type of battery even if its not adequate. Some people are just CHEAP :crazy: . Like my friend's uncle who would put $.50 of gas in his truck and say it was a fill up. Or when he ran out of gas going to 'fill up' , putting a gallon in it and going home because that was enough. :lol: