PDA

View Full Version : FTP knowledge needed

slothminx
10-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Ok guys,

Im trying to set up my computer so its an FTP. Osin and I want to be able to share files using it. We have tried using a FTP sharing program called TYPSoft FTP server, but have had no luck connecting to the other person. We have tried to use an FTP browsing prgram called FlashFXP but we get a similar error.

The errors got are: the server name cannot be resolved.

Extra details to help you guys help me are. All firewalls either have rules allowing access or are turned off

I know someone out there will know more and should be able to help me out

Thanks, Will

Billy Golightly
10-16-2005, 04:59 PM
You have to be running a FTP server on each computer before you can use an FTP client like WSFTP or whatever to view it and transfer files. You need to be on a static IP address, otherwise its going to change everytime you reboot the computer. Its kind of a pain to set one up really. You can google for FTP server software and probably get a few hits.

slothminx
10-16-2005, 05:05 PM
We have both got the FTP software running and are on static IP's. The computers connect to each other, we are just having trouble getting them to allow each other access;)

ScottZJ
10-16-2005, 06:31 PM
If they are running XP, I would just load netbeui on them. XP doesnt have that in the networking capabilities. You can set up a peer to peer, without a problem. You can get netbeui anywhere online free and put it on a floppy and load it on the machines. Once you have loaded it, then you go to your network properties and set it up. Its a much easier way to connect and for XP to see each workstation.

slothminx
10-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Is this on a LAN or Internet? the person im trying to connect to isnt exactly local LOL

OldSchoolin86
10-16-2005, 07:10 PM
If they are running XP, I would just load netbeui on them. XP doesnt have that in the networking capabilities. You can set up a peer to peer, without a problem. You can get netbeui anywhere online free and put it on a floppy and load it on the machines. Once you have loaded it, then you go to your network properties and set it up. Its a much easier way to connect and for XP to see each workstation.
We're both behind routers, will this work with how we're set up?

EDIT: Also what do you do from the point of getting the Netbeui in? What's the next steps to connecting to someone?

bigredhead
10-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Try using " Remote Access Server " .. or RAS as it's called.

Kind of like PC Anywhere.. you have access to each others entire PC's.

if you want to setup a public FTP then it's a whole other gall game.

OldSchoolin86
10-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Try using " Remote Access Server " .. or RAS as it's called.

Kind of like PC Anywhere.. you have access to each others entire PC's.

if you want to setup a public FTP then it's a whole other gall game.
OK but how do you use it?

slothminx
10-16-2005, 07:48 PM
BRH reakon you could do some instructions on how we can do this, please ;) ;)

bigredhead
10-17-2005, 08:43 AM
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2k/win2kras.html

Once you enable RAS, you can send an e-mail to one another to request a session among other options.

It's alot of details to type up.. very slick tho.. Anyone who has used " Service Honda " has connected via " Remote desktop " .. look under Start , Programs, Accessories, and Communications for the option.