PDA

View Full Version : BEWARE--Second chance offer Scams

Orangecnty250r
10-17-2005, 10:39 PM
Just a Heads Up!!!

Well I sold my 85 R this week and the second bidder esande from this site posted how he was disapointed he lost.....He contacted me tonight inquiring about a second chance offer he received that mentioned not to reply to ebay but use an email address....He stated he was psyched but a little leary....

If you remember this happened a while back with the Tiger that Sky-line drive won....I remember another member mentioned he was excited about the second chance offer he received on the Tiger all the while the deal was done..

Dirt bags are out there watching these auctions and making offers to sell to the second place bidders.....So beware of second chance offers

Never deal outside ebay and you can always email the number one bidder through ebay to verify the deal going through or not..

69HemiGTX
10-17-2005, 11:17 PM
I have had several fake second chance offers. The best way to tell if it's real or not is to contact the original seller through Ebay. They'll let you know if it's for real or not. If it's a fake, forward the original email to spoof@ebay.com so they can trace it. These scumbags are watching almost any type of item that routinely goes for over $1000. Not only is it ATVs, but it is also cars, motorcycles, jewelery, electronics, etc.

Another thing to watch out for is an auction that has a ridiculously low Buy it Now price. Musclecars and motorcycles are the most common. In today's market, there is no such thing as a $12000 Hemicuda. They trade hands in the $300K+ range today. If the seller is brand new and they are offering a high value item for an unbelievable price, it's a scam. Guaranteed. Sometimes the seller has good feedback, but they have never sold anything like what they are offering now. Intuition would tell you that something is wrong. Listen to it. Contact the seller about the auction. More than likely, they have fallen for a "phishing" email, telling the scammers their account info, so the scammer is using it to "sell" an item that doesn't exist. They use others' accounts for the positive feedback that they have. If you do contact the seller, and the reply with a sob story that their brother in Italy just died (or anything similar), they are trying to scam you. Look for key indicators like very poor English, locations in foriegn countries, and specifying Western Union or the like for payment. These are very typical signs of a scam. Please don't let the adrenaline rush of a seemingly great deal make you part with thousands of dollars. Use your brains people.

88 Turbo Coupe
10-18-2005, 05:56 AM
Same thing happened to me with an electronic drum set. A 24 hour auction, selling for 1 dollar and shipping was 10 dollars for a $3000.00 drum set. Yea right. I emailed the seller and did not answer not 1 of my questions. He answered questions I did't even ask. POS

Rm250RF900R
10-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Why doesn't ebay start cracking down on these scums? Thats why I never want to buy anything that expensive over ebay. People ruin everything.

sublime68charge
10-18-2005, 04:45 PM
I have had this happen to me a few time's, I usually send the message back to Ebay, and then Use the actual Auction to Ask the Seller a Question about it, I never replay back the the second chance offer as the email address dosn't match the address of the seller,

I also if I am bidding on an item over $100.00 dollars I will have contacted the seller prior to the auction end with a simple question on something and make sure I get an replay back to make sure it is legit item.

I got took once for $20.00 on something like 3 years ago live and learn I suppose.

sublime out

Hornetpowerspor
10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
A little over a year ago I bid an a 250r motor with a nics cyl and was out bid at the last minute. The next day I recieved a second chance offer. The e-mail address was the same.....I thought. After he asked for a wire transfer and a few other fishy things, I figured out I'd check into it a little further. I did a yahoo search on the ailias (Vernon Krueger) and found out there was no such person in the Chicago area. Then I looked at the seller name/e-mail address and noticed there was like one letter difference between them. Also being a new member to e-bay the real seller wanted me to contact him to make sure I was a serious bidder,before the auction ended, so I had his number. After calling the real seller I realized I was being scammed. So BEWARE! They are in the ATC market also!

esande151
10-20-2005, 10:23 AM
i forwarded all e-mails to eBay security dept. and the sent me the same reply for all of them. i also tried to contact them through "Contact Us" with the problem. however, i'm not sure they fully understood. in their replies they said if you get an e-mail you suspect to be fake log on to your eBay account and click on "My eBay" button. then to check My Messages section. if an e-mail effects your account, it's now in My Messages.:confused:

the same person that contacted my regular e-mail is the same person in my eBay account in "My eBay", in My Messages.

the fact that this person (youngki4823 at Amrselltco@aol.com ) was an "unregistered user" was red flag #1. he contacted me at the end of auction with a "Second Chance while listing is still active" shot at this listing. also at the very bottom of the message page was an item description # that was bogus with an ending date of Oct-21-05 10:00:18 PDT.

i guess the fakes can make their way into your eBay account and into your messages. just keep an eye out and ? anything suspicious.