PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys like tecate 4's?

monster 84r
10-19-2005, 09:57 PM
i might buy one soon, anything i should know? pro's? cons? good years?

Rod
10-19-2005, 10:59 PM
don't know much execpt they are one of the coolest looking quads in my opnion. I hear they haul tail too. If it is a good deal I say get it .

monster 84r
10-20-2005, 12:22 AM
verry good deal actually, trade my 84r plus a lil cash for a ported, piped, and intaked t4. sounds amazing trade to me. id like to get into amateur racing if i could, is there an age limit or something?

il keep you guys posted.

Rm250RF900R
10-20-2005, 08:52 AM
The t4 was rated at 41 hp I think. It was the fastest of the 250 quads. I think it was radared at 77mph. It had more power than the trx250r and the lt250r also. They are really nice. If I could get ahold of one for cheap I would snatch it up in a heart beat. But I've never seen them go for less than $1600.

Jason Hall
10-20-2005, 09:32 AM
The front suspention will beat you up, after market front shocks are a must. The cylinders are nicasil, & are almost always worn out. I have 3- t-4 cylinders that need to be replated, or sleeved. Another thing to look for is the front of the frames get bent, from people hitting trees with one side or the other. Also the rear shocks don't last, the two t-4's I have had I rebuilt the shocks & they still leaked (the outer shock tubes were worn out). The cool thing is I used a banshee rear shock on mine. I put a 86 honda 250-R engine on mine, it was cheeper for me to put the honda motor on than to sleeve the origional cylinder. It's actually the wife's ride. They are super cool looking Quads.:w00t:

Jeb
10-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Not much choice on good or bad years either. 87 & 88 only. Some claim 89, but they are left over 88's. As far as I know there are only officially two year models. The big talk about them back in the day was that in stock trim they were too narrow compared to the other quads, but had the most powerful mill.

I'd probably make the same trade. An 84 R & cash for Tecate-4. :beer

monster 84r
10-21-2005, 02:11 AM
jeez these bikes sound like beasts, il do everything in my power to get it. thanks for the info guys, i learned alot.

btw, the one im looking at hasnt been bored or replated, would it be cheaper to have l.a. sleeve repress a cast iron sleeve into it or re nikasil the walls?

69HemiGTX
10-21-2005, 06:11 AM
If you are looking for info about Tecates, head over to kawieriders.com. They have a Tecate-specific forum. For engine work, most shops have no clue how to tune them, so contact Magoo, KingofKawies, or David Roberts over there. They are the resident engine builders.

BigGreenMachine
10-23-2005, 04:30 PM
Don't sleeve it, cheaper in the long run to replate a cylinder then to bore it, have it sleeved and the bore it to spec again. I found out the hard way by having my two T3 cylinders bored and sleeved...I'd really like a nikisel lined cylinder for mine now.

monster 84r
10-24-2005, 02:10 AM
so how much does a descent tec 4 go for? if this deal doesnt fall through, id still want to get a late 80's to early 90's 250 2 stroke atv, and with my price range, ive been looking at lt250s and tecates.

in personal experiance, which is more reliable? i want to get into amateur racing, but i spend most of my time up in the mountains on dirt roads, or in snow.

how much am i looking to fork over for either of these bikes? ive seen the prices all over the place on ebay, but here in az bikes are more expensive used.

Rm250RF900R
10-24-2005, 09:43 AM
Around here a decent lt250r goes for about $2200-$2500. Tecates on the other hand are usually $2500-$3000+. If your looking for a trx250r you will spend $3000-$4000+. I've seen some 86-87 tecate 3's go for $3500.... I was also thinking about a lt250r a long time ago. They always say look for cracks around the front suspension area. Look for cracks around the swingarm too. Expecially the 85-86 models. The 87+ models had the powervalved motors and a 6 speed tranny. 1987 Lt250rs are harder to find parts for. I guess you could call the '87 lt250r the odd ball because they had some changes that only that year had. Kinda like the 1987 LT500R. They had 6 head studs instead of 7 or something like that (I need to re-read my old resources). And I think in 1990 the rear suspension was totally changed. It's alot better than the older models I have heard. There was a cool website about the LT250rs called www.quadracer.com. But, I think he sold his MINT lt250r and bought a Z400 :crazy: So I don't know if it still exsists.

brapp
10-24-2005, 11:34 AM
ok my experiances are this, tecate wa sfastest, compared with a piped and ported trx250r, my tecate is pretty much all done, kinda remind sme of a blaster with an insane kx250 motor in it, i havent lost many races with my old t-4, but the oen i am buildign now is nice, all powdercoated, needs rear shock rebuilt, and blue side pannels, and a pvl ignition to make it rev alot better will sell for 2,000 or make an offer, verry nice quad, just needs 600bux to finish it. and as rar as havign the cylender welded and re nicasilled, it cosat me about 200 bux to have this done to std bore. but i am in the process fo building a tecate bottom end with the modern 97 kx250 cylender, makeing awesome power, and i ahve built one with a kx500 topend and a stroker crank, 466 stroker big bore motor. here is the link to a bunch of pics of mine. http://www.bikepics.com/kawasaki/kfx250/88/pics.asp

SpeedBump
10-24-2005, 08:43 PM
I own a T4, and have friends with the other Brands....I like the Kawi for a few reasons...The #1 reason....It is unique. You don't see these things all that often and when you do, it is always the center of attention (for a little while anyway) A couple other reasons, it RIPS. They have a really nice power delivery. Smooth. They make really good woods bikes. Not real peaky (With specific portwork you can make it anyway you want, like any other 2 stroke)

There are some drawbacks, as with most older bikes. If you plan on Racing your T4, I would not do it. Any serious racing will beat the crap outta a quad, and though many parts are still available, it will surely eat up lots of $$$$ buying them. If you want a fun trail machine and occasionally take it to the track, then sure, buy it. But, if you plan on getting involved in serious weekly racing, go with a Honda 250R. You can find them everywhere and the parts are plenty and not that high priced. (Not to mention, who cares about beating the snot outta a run of the mill Honda 250R :-) )

As performance goes, it is irrelevant to compare Stock to Stock. You will not keep you machine stock, and neither will MOST of the people out riding these old 2 strokes. True it was faster than the other 2, but that is ONLY the 1988 T4. The 88s had a bit different tuning. The Carb was upgraded as well. (34 Mikuni to a 36 Keihin) The 88 also had a better front end. The ORIGINAL Long Travel Suspension (Gullwing copied & perfected by RollDesign)

Like somebody else stated...go over to www.kawieriders.com and check out all the info for yourself. You will be suprised to find alot of people STILL ride these Green Mahines. Good luck

Click the link below or in my Sig to see mine.

http://users.adelphia.net/~cinnamonlou/pics/page8/

Rm250RF900R
10-25-2005, 07:44 AM
That sure is a sweet Tecate SpeedBump :w00t:

monster 84r
10-25-2005, 09:38 PM
speedbump that thing is awesome!

your right about racing though, i dont think im going to be a racer but ive never had a track worthy bike, if i get it il take it once in a while. not to many tracks that i know of where i live.

i do alot of woods riding though, and the r is a pain in the arse in cold... btw speedbump, in those pics theres one of you dragging a banshee w a wheelie bar and some other stuff. howd you do?

the ultimate deciding factor is money, or in my case, the lack of it :lol: , soon as i turn 16 im gettin a job though, so i should be able to afford it by x-mas.

TRITecate350
10-26-2005, 10:15 AM
go to www.tecateconnection.com if you want to read info on tecates. They have like 20 old dirtwheels etc...issues to read.

370banshee
11-09-2005, 12:40 AM
i have a 87 tecate 310 big bore, 38mm kiehn, millled head, fmf pipe, carbon reeds

i love this thing i dont; ride it all that often.. i'm looking at buyign a ** t4 now too... my 87 might be for sale.. havent; made a decision yet.... everybody forgot what makes these things run so great... a PV system that works, a triple exhaust port (can you say cheeta cubs.. ) and a massive intake setup... T4's rip.... mines a hell of alot of fun.. if you can get it for an 84 R and some cash DO IT!!!!!!! if your deal falls through and your looking for a 250CC pinger.. do yourself a favotr and stay away from the LT250R..... (i own one i can bash em haha) they are not reliable they are subpar in quality and teh kawi and honda destroy the suzuki.... hands down... not to metnion they eat water pump seals, crank bearings, engien cases, base and head gaskets..... and thats just to name a few....