PDA

View Full Version : Mount Washington

250r'en +TCB
10-25-2005, 03:53 PM
I decieded to post this site just because it's pretty cool to check out every once and a while.
Mount Washington is located in the white mountains in northern NH. The mountain has been described as having "the worlds worste weather". Right now in october there are full blown blizzards at the top. The most amazing thing about this mountain is the wind. This mountain gets winds so high, it makes hurricanes look pussy!!! And I'm not joking....
The highest wind EVER recorded was recorded in april 1934, the wind speed was 231mph!!!!They have hurricane force winds something like more than 1/3 of the year!!!!
This mountains elavation is only 6, 288ft about sea level!!!! All yu people in the rockies proubly think thats nothing right? Yet for being such a small mountain, it is one of the most incredible enviornments on th planet. If you go to this site you can check it out.\
I went on there a couple minutes ago at like 3:30pm on 10-25 and the wind speed was 93mph!!! they update it every couple of hours, preety cool all in all....
http://www.mountwashington.org/

250r'en +TCB
10-25-2005, 04:02 PM
Mount Washington presents the most severe combinations of wind, cold, icing and storminess available anywhere in the world where people are on hand to take measurements. The summit lies in the path of the principal storm tracks and air mass routes affecting the northeastern United States, and it is, because of its elevation, biologically and ecologically similar to the subarctic zone.

Elevation: 6,288 feet
Latitude: 44° 16' N
Longitude: 71° 18' W
Highest wind (world record, April 12, 1934): 231 MPH
Average wind velocity for the year: 35.3 MPH
Lowest temperature (state record, January 1934): -47°F
Highest temperature (August 1975, June 2003): 72°F
Average temperature for the year: 26.5°F
Average annual snowfall: 256 inches
Maximum snowfall in a season (1968-69): 566.4 inches
Maximum snowfall in a calendar year (1969) 495.2 inches
Winds exceed hurricane force (75 MPH) on an average of 104 days a year
The summit is in the clouds about 60% of the time
Fog is reported (for at least part of the day) over 300 days a year

^^^ sweet facts

Wickedfinger
10-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I know this Mt. well. My parents have a house in North Conway and I've been skiing up there since I was a kid. I've skiied in Tuckermans revine during the spring runs and have been across the street to Ski Wildcat more times than I can remember. An old member named TriZBill told me about a summer "ATV" they have up Mt. Washington every year. Sounded like fun to me.

edog
10-25-2005, 05:07 PM
I know this Mt. well. My parents have a house in North Conway and I've been skiing up there since I was a kid. I've skiied in Tuckermans revine during the spring runs and have been across the street to Ski Wildcat more times than I can remember. An old member named TriZBill told me about a summer "ATV" they have up Mt. Washington every year. Sounded like fun to me.Your place is about 20 min from me.Went by the summit of Mt Washinton last week when i went ridding up north.4 feet of snow up there already.This is a record from last years 3 feet.

YAMAHA_Jim
10-25-2005, 09:33 PM
Mt Washington you say,,,I've been there a few times.Never when they had snow or bad weather.The day I was there last it was so windy you could hardly stand up.Driving up and down the auto road is fun too.I always wanted to see the auto race up the mountain.
These pics are from last year right before the first snow. Hard to believe people stay up there for months at a time during the winter just to record weather.