PDA

View Full Version : Mr Shortman aka atcphil, degreez, & Raptor on TV in the UK

playboyuk
10-27-2005, 07:06 PM
Our friend is in the news again

There is a piece on him on the "Tonight with Trevor Macdonald" on at 8pm friday !!!

Obviously its only on in the UK

A must watch proggy if any uk members are interested :)

slothminx
10-28-2005, 08:16 AM
Ill take a look in. ;)

playboyuk
10-28-2005, 12:49 PM
he is being sentenced on the 4th of november again for £7000 worth of ticket fraud :)

playboyuk
10-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Net conman turns over new leaf

http://www.thisisgwent.co.uk/gwent/images/p17_shortman.jpg

Ebay conman: Phillip Shortman

THE teenage Gwent conman who swindled eBay customers out of thousands of pounds now wants to advise the Internet auction site on tackling criminals.

Phillip Shortman, 18, originally from Pontypool but now living in Newport, is to appear on the Tonight with Trevor McDonald programme this evening, and will reveal he wants to put his criminal behaviour behind him and offer his services to eBay as a security adviser.

Shortman was sentenced to 12 months' detention in May this year after duping customers out of £45,000.

His crimes funded a lavish lifestyle including holidays abroad and rides in limousines.

Shortman said: "Fingers crossed that somebody like maybe Microsoft or eBay will get in touch with me. I want to prove myself and I want to show my community I'm changed."

Shortman claimed it was easy to carry out his fraud, and criticised security on the eBay site.

He added: "It's easy. I can see a scam from miles away."

Shortman evaded capture for more than 13 months, despite asking his victims to pay funds into a bank account held in his name or send cheques to his home.

Shortman was eventually convicted, but while on bail awaiting sentence he re-offended by conning eBay customers into paying £8,000 for tickets to the Welsh rugby team's Grand Slam decider match.

Following his release on licence after serving an initial custodial term, Shortman was arrested and convicted for this crime at Abergavenny magistrates court.

He is awaiting sentence at Newport crown court.

The married father of one claimed he was sorry and said he would pay back the money if he could.

In response, eBay's head of safety and security, Gareth Griffiths, said he was keen to meet Shortman to discuss a possible role.

He said: "I'd love to have a chat with Phillip. Let's talk about it."

...........So the moral of the story is crime does pay :(

Billy Golightly
10-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Thats so screwed up I can't even stand it...anyone with half a brain COULD scam people out of money on ebay or anything for that manner. And yet the ones who DO are the ones that get hired for advice? What bullshit...its the same way in the computer/network security field though. I never have figured it out.

Wickedfinger
10-28-2005, 09:50 PM
Thats just great ... there truely is NO justice in this world.

playboyuk
11-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Just a quick not to keep you informed on Phil Shortman & what is going on...

The crown court have adjourned for sentencing until the 18th november :)

Fingers crossed :)

playboyuk
11-20-2005, 08:14 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4449674.stm

A teenager who conned eBay users out of £8,000 while awaiting sentence for similar offences, has been warned he is likely to go back behind bars.
Appearing at Newport Crown Court on Friday, Phillip Shortman, 18, from Cwmbran, has already admitted to four counts of deception.

The court heard how he had falsely sold tickets for Six Nations rugby games and a mobile phone.

Earlier this year, he was sent to a detention centre for a £45,000 scam.

The hearing was told that after being caught conning eBay customers out of at least £45,000 - and while awaiting sentence - Shortman was able to sign up with the site again, and had an account with its secure payment service, Paypal.

One eBay customer paid him £7,000 for two debentures because he was desperate to see the Grand Slam decider between Wales and Ireland.

Nicholas Price was contacted by Shortman on 25 March after he noticed he was using the internet auction website to try to get tickets for the game.

Mr Price bought a debenture seat and tickets for £7,000 after Shortman pretended to be the nephew of ex-Welsh rugby international prop Graham Price in an attempt to give himself credibility.

David Wooler, prosecuting, said: "When nothing arrived in the post, Mr Price contacted the Welsh Rugby Union who said that no debenture existed and could therefore not be sold."

Another victim, Sheila Foster, paid £380 into Shortman's bank account for match tickets for her grandson which never arrived.

Lawrence Jones, defending, said Shortman had been making "obvious efforts" to rehabilitate himself during a 12 month detention and training order imposed at Cardiff Crown court in May for conning other eBay users out of £45,000.

Recorder David Aubrey QC, adjourned sentencing and granted Shortman, a married father-of-four, bail on the condition that he does not use the internet.

"I want you to understand by adjourning for a report and granting you bail that there isn't anything other than a custodial sentence in my mind," he said.

"These were serious and deliberate offences of fraud which you have committed before on the secure site of eBay and you should expect a custodial sentence."

When he was dealt for those original offences amounting to a £45,000, it was revealed that Shortman spent the cash living the good life - hiring limousines, going on holidays and buying designer clothes.

He would taunt customers inquiring about their goods, on one occasion saying: "This is my business - I make people fools."

playboyuk
11-25-2005, 01:14 PM
Wait till * read this !!!!!

On Friday a judge at Newport Crown Court imposed a 240-hour community punishment order after being told Shortman had reformed in jail.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/4471022.stm

bigredhead
11-25-2005, 01:30 PM
rotten shmuck..

He should have spent a few months with bubba the butt doctor.