PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good heater for my garage?

Yamahauler
10-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I have a 27 X 16 ft garage (432 square feet). It is uninsulated, I found this (http://www.canadiantire.ca/assortments/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=140847439 6669892&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474396670271&bmUID=1130460396079&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524443276961&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true) convection heater at Canadian Tire. Would this be enough? It is rated to heat up to 600 square feet, but that might be for an insulated garage.

What are your guys experiences with garage heaters?

hotroddal
10-27-2005, 09:03 PM
well in my garage we have installed a fuel oil house furnace, we are going to try that out this year, if it can heat an insualted house then it can heat 2 insulated stalls of a garage. It should heat her up pritty good.

bigredhead
10-28-2005, 10:07 AM
Yep.. i have a 140,000 BTU ( has a 105k tip on the burner right now tho )oil burning house furnace.. forced air type.

This sucker heats up my 24 x 12 garage in no time flat, even in -40c winters in no time flat.

That propane heater will provide enough heat to make things livable.. but be aware of the fumes.... don't kill yourself... if your garage is UN-insulated, it's gotta be drafty as hell. so you should have enough fresh air to keep things safe.. but.. be aware that this thing is NOT vented... it burns oxygen.

At least staple 6 mil vapor barrier on the inside walls and ceiling, cut the drafts as best you can.. look in the hardware store for " Vapor Barrier " .. buy the THICK stuff.. and staple it on.. cheap.. a roll big enough to cover all your walls should be about 20 $.

But.. nothing beats my furnace !!!

Banage
10-28-2005, 10:11 AM
wood stove is does the trick, but where i live hard to find inshurence with a wood stove.

Yamahauler
10-28-2005, 10:23 AM
At least staple 6 mil vapor barrier on the inside walls and ceiling, cut the drafts as best you can.. look in the hardware store for " Vapor Barrier " .. buy the THICK stuff.. and staple it on.. cheap.. a roll big enough to cover all your walls should be about 20 $

If I do that though, I have to rip off all the wallboard thats on there, and if I had to rip it off, It might as well be insulated while I'm in there, but I can't afford it right now.

If I just used that propane heater and set it by the garage door, with the door open a little, will it get enough oxygen that way?

Does the propane heater let off carbon monoxide?

83200e
10-28-2005, 11:19 AM
You may want to look into the kerosene heaters /torpedo heaters.They work really well in a larger area.My shop is heated with propane,and I use ceiling fans to push the warm air back down.The fans make a huge difference.

darrel632
10-28-2005, 11:36 AM
use a radiant heater we use 'em at work no issues, if you have wallboard up allready and a ceiling use blow in insulation its cheap and light weight rip open the bags and loose spread them you don't have to blow it. If you do the ceilings you'll find a huge difference --80% of heat loss is straight up, next year cut 2 in holes centered between studs at the top of the walland blow in loose fill in your walls, don't take down the wall board, then just fix the holes with drywall and mud. Yes propane heaters let off CO they can be quite dangerous in tight areas.

mymint87
10-28-2005, 12:12 PM
Pellet stoves are the best!!!!!

Yamahauler
10-28-2005, 02:20 PM
use a radiant heater we use 'em at work no issues, if you have wallboard up allready and a ceiling use blow in insulation its cheap and light weight rip open the bags and loose spread them you don't have to blow it. If you do the ceilings you'll find a huge difference --80% of heat loss is straight up, next year cut 2 in holes centered between studs at the top of the walland blow in loose fill in your walls, don't take down the wall board, then just fix the holes with drywall and mud. Yes propane heaters let off CO they can be quite dangerous in tight areas.

There is blow in insulation in the roof already, But theres nothing the walls, there is also 10 big green fiberglass things (they the dumbest thing I've ever seen) across the one wall that lets a lot of warm air out. I was thinking about framing them in. I didnt know you could use blow in insulation for the walls. The thing is, I will be moving next summer, so this is the last winter I need this garage.

bigredhead
10-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I see..

Check for those winter window draft stopper / shrink wrap with double sided tape .. stuff.

You could get a few sheets of 4 x 8 white styrofoam and cut them to fit.. but then loose all the light... no good.

That double sided tape you put around the openings.. stick the thin plastic film to it. then use a hair dryer and shrink it crease free.... looks totally transparent and does a good job of cutting down drafts..

A kit.. 10 $

bigredhead
10-28-2005, 02:55 PM
I see..

Check for those winter window draft stopper / shrink wrap with double sided tape .. stuff.

You could get a few sheets of 4 x 8 white styrofoam and cut them to fit.. but then loose all the light... no good.

That double sided tape you put around the openings.. stick the thin plastic film to it. then use a hair dryer and shrink it crease free.... looks totally transparent and does a good job of cutting down drafts..

A kit.. 10 $

Huffa
10-28-2005, 03:30 PM
I have heated my garage for 7 years now or so and can't imagine ever noy having a heated garage again. This is hooked up to my oil burner down stairs.

Can be as cold as ever and I'm in garage with a T-shirt on! :beer

I got this at cost but imagine it would be at least 7-800 I think if bought retail. I'm sure you could find a nice used one though.

Jason Hall
11-21-2005, 10:29 AM
Here is my home made wood burner. I was gunna build a barrel stove (55 gal drum), but I was told you have to replace the barrel every couple years. So I went down to the local pipe shop. Big pipe that is & bought this 26"round x 4' long x 5/8" thick pipe & capped off the ends. The most difficult parts were the door & the heat deflecter inside, so the heat & flame does'nt go straight out the chimney. Once this baby gets hot, she kicks out some heat!!! :D

Adam Miller
11-21-2005, 06:59 PM
Jason's works great can work out in his barn that is good size in shorts and a t-shirt when that babbys going.