PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys deal with ruts?

chris200x
11-02-2005, 11:23 PM
I was out on a quad the other day and thought to myself man how'd the hell would I get through this on a trike? all the trails are not like this but I'd imagine the muddy one's could be a *****. It's been a while since I've rode a trike. But most a two groove trails with a high spot in the middle. How do you takle the obstacles? It's seems to me like it would take all but 2 seconds to loose control and end up in the trees. :eek:

Jason Hall
11-02-2005, 11:41 PM
That is one of the best things about a trike, you can use a rut to your advantage. If you use your head, you can really have fun doing it. You can cross yourself up in a turn, & really lean into it. You keep moving your front tire from one rut to the other as you turn. It's almost like cuting inside of yourself. When you go straight, you keep your front tire on the high spot, when you turn, you put your front tire in the inside rut.:beer

Maine_Triker
11-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Front tire and one rear tire in one rut, one rear tire in the other rut.... makes for loads of fun :D:D:D:D:D:D

I think I have a pic around here somewhere of me doing that... I'll try to dig it up.

chris200x
11-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Some of the trails are also rutted up with truck tires. Expecially the mudholes... that can ghet a bit hairy. I try to stay in the mibble but one of the rear tires would slip in and I'd usually end up getting stuck. Expecially the old logging roads with the bulldozer ruts! filled with water to top it off!

brapp
11-03-2005, 10:07 AM
i usualy run fastenough to just skim the tops of the ruts when i ride up that way and outr on the loggign roads.

ScottZJ
11-03-2005, 10:10 AM
I just put my front tire in one rut and leave the rear tires up high on "dry" ground. Kinda gives you a sense of nose diving haha.

bigredhead
11-03-2005, 10:14 AM
I hate it when it gets narrow and the front forks take a beating this way tho.. with the front tire in the rut and back tires up high...

Banage
11-03-2005, 11:43 AM
I eather put the front tire in the rut and leave the rear up above, or put one rear and the front tire in the same rut with the wheel turned forward.