PDA

View Full Version : Free Suzuki 250

400ccHomemade
11-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Kind of a long story, but I'll try and be brief. My dad called me and said he found a free atv if I wanted it. I said sure. Even if it's trashed, I could use parts for my go-cart, or homemade trike, or something. I came over to see it. It was rough. The body was in a few pieces, and scattered around. The engine was taken apart. 3 flat tires, 2 bald tires. It had 10,000 miles on it. 10,000!!!!!!! The guy said he couldn't figure out why it wouldn't start, so he doesn't want it anymore. Some plusses: electric start, reverse, generally no damage, seat not even ripped, not bad overall. So, I took it. He said he thinks there is a cam timing problem. I work in repair work, so I have learned never to trust what anyone says. I decided to do my own troubleshooting. I put the head and everything back together. Went through the carb to make sure there was no gumming. Checked for spark. Nice spark. Spray some starter fluid in it, nothing. Then I went for the old put some oil down the spark plug hole for a "boost" in compression. Usually works on old, tired engines. Then, it started right up, but ran like crap. Pulled it back in the shop. Noticed a lot of oil leaking around top of the head, so I decided to pull it back off and try to reseal it. Then I noticed the missing valve adjusters and jam nuts. Great, so the last guy didn't tighten them, and now they fell in the engine. I luckily fished them all out though, and put them back on and adjusted them. After that, it runs AWESOME now. Plugged the tires just so I could test ride it, and it works great. It still starts hard, but what do you expect, it has 10, 000 miles on it. I also fixed all the damaged bodywork.

Over the winter to do list:
1) I'm going to re-ring it. This will make it start easier, and run better. $30 to $40 for rings and necessary gaskets, etc.
2) New battery. After this, the electric start will work. $30 to $50 for a motorcycle battery.
3) Here's the big one, 2 rear tires. They won't be cheap. At least $80 I figure, probably more.

So, bottom line, I got a nice LT250E 4 wheeler with electric start, reverse, nice shape, for free so far. After $200 or so it will be a fine running machine. I like it. And a side-note: it is way faster than I expected! You wouldn't think a 250 would pull on you're arms like that!

Cody
11-11-2005, 10:55 PM
Hehe... Nice deal, I want it!

RedRider_AK
11-15-2005, 01:20 AM
Are the 250 Es the ones with a hardtail rear? If so, then those things HAUL ARSE! I seriously love those. I started on one of those, and it tore the hell out of anything I drove over. Very nice.

400ccHomemade
11-15-2005, 07:05 AM
Yes, hardtail. I'm glad to finaly hear someone else say they are fast. Anyone out there know how to set up the cam timing? This winter when I do the rings I'm nervous abou that.

RedRider_AK
11-20-2005, 05:47 PM
There should be some sort of mark on the cam gear and other gear that turns it... I have only worked on pushrod engines before, so Im not sure, but the marks should line up... thats how it works for pushrod style engines anyway.

brapp
11-23-2005, 09:27 PM
gfo on nebraskatire.com for cheap tires. liek 20+ bux a piece and 10 bux shipeing to your door.

400ccHomemade
11-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the reply, but I didn't see a single $20 tire on that site.

400ccHomemade
01-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Ok, I got a nice set of used tires, but I need 2 tubes. I got new rings, a base gasket, and a Clymer book ordered and on the way. That way I can set up the cam timing because I have no idea how to do that. By the way, the old rings were SHOT, like, ready to break into little pieces shot. I thought it was quick before, now it should be a lot of fun. After this, the quad will be ready for spring, minus the electric start, but I don't mind pulling a rope. I pullstart my 800cc Ski-Doo all the time, this little 250 shouldn't be too bad.

400ccHomemade
01-24-2006, 07:53 AM
Alright, got the rings installed, all went well. But, I am pissed off at the Clymer book I bought. It covers 250's, and 230's, and the procedure it gave for the cam timing was for the 230. It seemed to be the smae as the 250, but it won't start. Spark, gas, and compression is good, so it must be that cam timing is off. that makes me SOOOOO mad to be that close, and not have it work. Any ideas here?