View Full Version : computer problem

b-nub
11-15-2005, 12:48 AM
so i have a radeon x800 graphics card
thing is i have these spots that show up randomly
its not the monitor, but theyll show up all the time in different spots

RedRider_AK
11-15-2005, 01:14 AM
Download the latest DirectX and video card drivers. Other than that, I dont really know.

Tri-ZNate
11-15-2005, 07:28 AM
and blow the connection out where the monitor hooks up to the computer.

ScottZJ
11-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Make sure your system has the necessary requirements that the card has listed. Also ensure that you have the latest BIOS update for your computer.

System Requirements:
300-watt power supply or higher recommended
Intel Pentium 4 / AMD Athlon or higher CPU
One available AGP slot
One power extension cable
128MB system memory
CD-ROM drive

You should also be able to go to www.ati.com site for the latest driver updates for your spec of machine.

bigredhead
11-15-2005, 10:50 AM
After checking all the above.. check your refresh rate... might be set too high for your monitor.

You don't have any magnets close to the screen do you ? lol..

3 weelin geezer
11-15-2005, 01:46 PM
How do you know its not the monitor? :pics: Got any pictures of it doing this? :pics: What do they look like? Are they bands of black? I am thinking of a round spot about the size of the inside of a toilet paper roll. I think that magnets would distort the image in a pincussion fashion. :pics:

RedRider_AK
11-16-2005, 01:11 AM
I think that magnets would distort the image in a pincussion fashion.
Magnets change the color and stretch the image on the CRT monitor, but usually dont do anything to a LCD monitor.

b-nub
11-16-2005, 11:20 PM
the monitor is a flat panel...
i tried to update the drivers... and it gave me this catalyst thing.... i dunno,
its not the monitor because if the spots are on a wall for instance, if i look around theyre in the same spot on that wall, not the same spot on the monitor. i havemore than the required stuff for the card...

the spots look like this:

just a cluster of green doys in a squareish shape

Tri-ZNate
11-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Have you taken the card out and blew in its slot to make sure there isnt any dust in there? Or changed the slot in which the card sits? Is it AGP or PCI card?

wanta250r
11-20-2005, 08:38 PM
Did you call your computer company and talk to them about it. Do you have a warranty with it.

nouseforaname90
11-20-2005, 08:43 PM
I had a small 8inch fan next to my monitor once and it would make the monitor do all kinds of crazy stuff whenever I turned it on. I could never figure out what was doing it. And then one day I was turning it on while typing/watching my monitor, and it happened right as I turned it on. I figured out that it was the fan, so I moved it, but I still can't figure out why the heck the fan did that. So I don't know. Maybe it is something like that? I just figured I would throw that out there for you.

Billy Golightly
11-20-2005, 08:46 PM
Its artifacting from overheating more then likely. Pull the sidecase off the computer and leave it off, see if it gets better. Try pointing a room fan towards it also.