PDA

View Full Version : needing some jap crap info - moved from open

Macs
11-15-2005, 08:37 PM
i havnt been on here for awhile. but i have a question. these new chinese atv's are they any good or even worth the $500 they cost. i have heard they are great and that they are total junk. the ones i have seen in person didnt look to bad for the money. but i was wandering how they were a month down the road.

zoomerman
11-15-2005, 08:41 PM
they are junk! don't buy one they aren't worth it

firefirefire90
11-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Junk. Seeing the no-name brand bikes arent to good. I would get an e-ton or a suzook 80 if i were to get ATV. Jap crap is the way to go.

RedRider_AK
11-15-2005, 10:04 PM
Shouldnt it be Chink crap?

hondatrikesrule22
11-15-2005, 10:47 PM
i havnt been on here for awhile. but i have a question. these new chinese atv's are they any good or even worth the $500 they cost. i have heard they are great and that they are total junk. the ones i have seen in person didnt look to bad for the money. but i was wandering how they were a month down the road.

Which ones are you looking at? A 50cc quad? I wouldn't buy one. I have rode them, and they are so cheaply made, it almost felt unsafe. I would just spend a little extra on a bike that has proven itself. Oh yeah,I have a 96' KX 60 I am trying to get rid of, so if you know anybody that wants it, let me know.

Macs
11-15-2005, 11:21 PM
your right, i am not very good with my racial slurs. i was thinking about a dirt bike for him. but he is kinda a wuss and i dont want nothing to scare him. he is 6 and this will be the first thing with a motor. i went and looked at the btm 70cc. the tires were cheap and there was one spot in the frame that the welds were very ugly. but besides that it looked pretty darn good. the guy let me ride one around the parking lot. it wasnt too bad and was pretty stable. i just am worried about dependability. i have looked at the high end four wheelers and of course they are better built but not by that much it seems. another thing i noticed was the brake disc were thin. it doesnt look like it would take much abuse. the engines is supose to be a clone if the atc 70 engine and definatley resembles it.

firefirefire90
11-15-2005, 11:47 PM
dont do it. Buy a dinli. Those i believe are great bikes. Rode one myself and loved the fatty pipe

RedRider_AK
11-16-2005, 12:55 AM
the engines is supose to be a clone if the atc 70 engine and definatley resembles it.
Yeah the thing is its inferior in every way to the original. Just buy a CRF or XR 50 or 70 and itll be a lot better for you.

smokinwrench
11-16-2005, 07:55 AM
Here's what I have seen. A friend of mine has a 50cc quad. It is so low powered they don't even take it to the dunes because it won't pull itself around. It is a 2003 model and has already had the throttle cable replaced and some bushings in the front end.

Everytime we goto the dunes we always see people with new off breed mini's. They are always the people on the trailer working on them or the kids that you are helping get unstuck all day long.

The machines that seem to be the best are LT/KFX80, polaris scramblers/predators, etons and everything built like it.

I own 2 LT80's. I started both kids on them at their 5th birthdays even my daughter. I just turned the throttle limiter in and put them in a huge open area the first 3-5 hours of riding time. The LT80's have been great machines. I'm selling my boys and moving him upto a TRX90.

My thought is I would buy a used name brand quad over a cheap new quad.

RedRider_AK
11-16-2005, 02:28 PM
My thought is I would buy a used name brand quad over a cheap new quad.
Totally agree with you there.

brapp
11-23-2005, 09:29 PM
the only cheap quad i liked wa sthe kasea adventure buggy, thier slow but if they flip ya just hop out and flip it back over and keep going.

thimmesch1
11-24-2005, 10:58 AM
I believe there is a difference in quality,I bought 2 redcat 50cc atvs-"honda style" 4 speed (600$ each) for my kids & they have been beating them for 2 years with no problems.but the atvs with weed wacker motor are a different story I would stay away from them... just my .02

TimSr
11-24-2005, 03:54 PM
The Chinese mini two strokes are very good quality, and the funny part is all the talk "off brand names". Most of them are completely interchangeable with different plastics and varying exhausts. Modifications and aftermarket parts are widely available out the wazoo, as these rule in mini MX racing. They are low power and lame in their stock form, but a simple exhaust wakes them up for drastic power increases. Check out my offroad pages if you want to see what an E-Ton can do in dunes. Its easier to get parts for one of these than your typical Japanese name brand mini quad. These are marketed under many different off brand names, but they all come from the same factories in Taiwan. They are commonly sold as Polaris, E-ton, or Kasea, but are sold at a lower cost for the same machines as Xtreme, Dinli, Alpha Sport, Blazer, DRR, Sundiro, and many others. I havent see one to be sure, but I think the Arctic Cat and Bombardier minis are also of the same design.

My experince has been with the two stroke CVT versions. I have had no experience with the 4 cycle manual shift versions.

As for the adult size Taiwan models, they have no such following as the mini's, and just from a parts and service standpoint alone, I would steer clear of them.

G-MAN-1
11-24-2005, 08:14 PM
im sorry. but i would not i repeat would not put POLARIS AND ARCTIC CAT in the same catagory as those junk things. and yes they are junk. go with a kawi. yamaha or honda machine.

TimSr
11-25-2005, 12:27 AM
im sorry. but i would not i repeat would not put POLARIS AND ARCTIC CAT in the same catagory as those junk things. and yes they are junk. go with a kawi. yamaha or honda machine.

LOL!! Back at ya! That different colored plastic makes the Polaris so much more reliable than the other Taiwan models! The Polaris mini's are made in Taiwan. The parts are completely interchangeable with all the other "junk" models I listed. I bought all my E-Ton OEM parts from the Polaris dealer because it was easier to get them through Polaris. My buddy has a Polaris 90 and we swapped parts right off TimJrs E-Ton to diagnose an electrical problem. So aside from the differnet color plastic, what puts the Polaris with all identical parts in a class above the other Taiwan minis?

smokinwrench
11-25-2005, 05:19 AM
Are all of the 50cc quads interchangable? Looking on ebay it seems to me there is a lower price of 90cc quads then the eton,kasea, polaris qauds. Those quads seem to cost in the $1,500 up price range. Some of the other 90cc quads on ebay cost in the $500-$700 price range. I just have a hard time believing those can be the same powertrain with that much of a price difference.

From what I have seen there is a huge difference in how the 50cc quads run. Some don't have enough power to go up the smallest little hills then others just fly around with no problems.

I have done tons of research on 80/90cc quads the last couple months. From everything I have read all seem to be higly reliable in stock form but once you get them highly modded the reliablity of the cvt trans goes down considerably. You can go here and get lots of info.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=48

From everything I have read it seems the TRX90 is the most reliable or at least thats what I have gathered. I have also been leanign towards the trx so that might influenece me a little. In my area it doesn't matter what 90cc quad you buy they are close in price.

LT80 $2,150
Raptor 90 $2,350
Eton 90 $2,195 non reverse
Eton 90 $2,395 w/reverse
Predator 90 $ 2,299
TRX90 $2,550

TimSr
11-25-2005, 11:43 AM
I shouldnt say "all" because Im sure I havent seen everyone on the face of the earth, but all of the ones Ive mentioned, I have personally looked at and seen in use by the local racers, and talked with the owners. Many I have loaned spare parts to at the track. Im speaking specifically to the 50 and 90 cc two strokes with CVTs. As I saids before, Ive no experience with the 4 stroke Taiwan models.

I agree there is a huge difference in the way the different Taiwan models run, and its strictly an exhaust factor. The exhausts vary a lot, but they are all purposely dumbed down for the age group. Some more than others. E-Ton puts a reducer washer in the exhaust where it bolts onto the cylinder, reducing it to the size of a pencil. THis is easily removed. Some of them use a reducer in the intake to accomplish the same thing. The exhausts look like 4 stroke exhausts and are purposely designed to choke performance. The stock machine cant take even minor upgrades. Change the exhaust and they rip. Among the local racers, Ive not heard of any reliability issues with the CVT. 5 years of racing E-Tons and Ive never had an issue with ours. They are made a lot more heavy duty than the LT80 CVT which does have issues when highly modified.

Jap 50s do not use a CVT. In my opinion they are inferior to the Taiwan models. There are few mods, and they are not suiatble for mini MX racing. I do agree the TRX90 and Raptor 80 are the most reliable, and the TRX90 is the top design of all, and priced accordingly but I was comparing apples to apples. If you want a trail machine, they are both super, and far superior to the Taiwan quads. On the track, youll see mostly Taiwanese quads. Just ask the Ohio group about the Taiwan mini that was eating the 250 4 strokes on the Flat Track at Sunset Ramblers!
We bought our first E-Ton TXL-50 in 2000. It sucked. Through lost of rersearch and engineering when aftermarket parts were not available, I was able to get it in the condition shown in my offroad ATV pages. I cut an remade a scooter pipe, added fiber reeds, and lighter clutch rollers, and put a 60cc top end on it. Total cost of all the mods was about $300 including shipping form the UK which was the only place the stuff was available then. In three years TimJr won a lot of plaques and trophies, and climbed every sand hill at the Badlands. It was used both for MX and trail riding. See the pictures in my signature links. He was the youngest rider to ever complete the Cochranton, Pa 50 mile poker run on it at age 5 while it was still stock. We sold it to my brother whose kids are still riding it. We got a 2000 TXL90 for the last two years of MX. He raced a 185x with it at Trikefest in 04, and it was a pretty even match. They are not junk. All you have to do is look closely at the motor in the ones Ive mentioned, and its obvious they are the same. As for other off brands, its also easy to tell if they are the same thing just by looking. If you dont have the knowledge or experience to be able to tell if its the same, then dont go with the off brand.

200Xjapan
11-28-2005, 12:31 PM
I know you guys can't read Japanese but you will get a kick out of the 50cc ATV's in this link (http://search1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search?sb=desc,cat&desc=atv&cat=26318&auccat=26318&acc=jp&apg=1&f=0x52&s1=end&o1=a&alocale=0jp&mode=1). Nothing like $300 ATV's selling for $3000 just because you can register it for street use.

Some pics--
$2788
http://img135.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/7/6/3/0/z28spb-img600x450-1122355067p1000619.jpg

Crackhead special for $3500
http://img217.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/6/8/4/0/ryunosuke111-img600x450-1132940508dsc00230.jpg

$2500 notice the mirror, turn signals and speedo
http://img185.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/users/9/2/8/1/power_rs2004-img600x450-11310008262.jpg

Shops are making a killing off of this CRAP!!:wondering

Macs
12-11-2005, 08:04 PM
i just wanted to update. i went ahead and bought a 2006 70cc SUNL quad. i paid $460 for it and am not dissapointed by no means. My nephew has put this thing through pure hell already and it has with stood. he is kind of a daredevil and i thought he would be scared of it. It actually is quicker than i thought to. i got my wife to pace me with the truck and it went 32mph with me on it. the only problem that i had with it is the inline fuel filter leaked so i replaced it and the selonoid was stuck but soon as i used a screwdriver to jump it over once it fixxed it. the suspension is a little bouncy but a 6 year old really dont care. i think it is a great deal and urge yall to think twice about these little things. i had more problems out of my new polaris then i have had out of this.

200xcellent
12-11-2005, 11:19 PM
32 mph is cruisen dude! Id be scared to put a 6 yr old on something that fast.

Macs
12-11-2005, 11:22 PM
well it has a governer. i keep him limited at about 15mph. he does really good. when my wife clocked me it was the first night before i gave it to him. i put it through the ringer to make sure it was alright.

TimSr
12-11-2005, 11:39 PM
i just wanted to update. i went ahead and bought a 2006 70cc SUNL quad.

Is that a 4 stroke model?

Macs
12-12-2005, 08:08 PM
yes it is the fourstroke.