PDA

View Full Version : ATC500R question

diablo0072k
11-16-2005, 09:03 PM
ok, i got an 86 250R frame, with all the other stuff, but no motor, i heard a CR500 motor would bolt in, but something about it vibrating to hell and back, is there anyway to remedy this.either way i wanna put one in it. anyone got any opinions. Oh yea, whats the estimated chance of fatality? LOL

well after calling around today ive come to the conclusion that its not that easy to find a cr500 motor:cry: , im gonna keep lookin, and if i cant find one ill jsut geta 250r motor. my buddy knows where theres like 6 of em

grundlegrabber
11-17-2005, 01:00 AM
Don't know if it will bolt up or not, but the 250R motor, as with most ATV motors, has a counterbalancer shaft to smooth vibration. The CR motor does not. Why not try putting a CRF450 motor in it??

Mike_Ham_250R
11-17-2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah the 500R engine would vibrate somewhat. And I'm pretty sure it wont bolt up. I think there is a lot of work to get it in that 250r frame.

trikezilla
11-17-2005, 07:39 PM
I belive there are a few modifications that need to be made before it will "bolt up". I know there are a few guys on here who either have done that or who are in the process of doing so. Maybe change the title of this to something to do with "ATC500R" to grab there attention

BTW: :welcome

Bigbore
11-17-2005, 10:11 PM
No! Its NOT EVEN CLOSE to a bolt-in! The 500 motor is 2" taller and won't clear the frame. Lots of cutting, welding and fabrication. Easier to use the CR frame.

Dammit!
11-17-2005, 10:44 PM
No! Its NOT EVEN CLOSE to a bolt-in! The 500 motor is 2" taller and won't clear the frame. Lots of cutting, welding and fabrication. Easier to use the CR frame.

I think KASEY might beg to differ. Looked like some custom fab'd motor mounts and the cutting away of a piece of frame off the bottom is what it required. A bigger problem might be getting a pipe custom made to fit.

Bigbore
11-17-2005, 11:18 PM
When I started mine... The options were to cut the bottom of the frame out graft in the CR frame lower section. It would have extend it two inches lower and reweld ( the down tube need to be reinforced at the joint and in the back at the swingarm bolt hole area). New motor mounts are easy to fabricate. The thing that scared me was the difference in the wall thickness of the frames. The 250R's frame is half of the thickness (.064") to the 500's frame (.136") , I didn't want to try and do all of the work to the 250r frame to have it crack-out to the stress. The other option was to use the 500's frame.

Fox250R
11-17-2005, 11:33 PM
Don't know if it will bolt up or not, but the 250R motor, as with most ATV motors, has a counterbalancer shaft to smooth vibration. The CR motor does not. Why not try putting a CRF450 motor in it??
LOL :banned:

BigGreenMachine
11-17-2005, 11:47 PM
use the search button on here or on www.3wheeler.org and you should find ever bit of info needed. Dammit is right, I think there was a notch to be made in the lower cradle of the frame and motor mounts, the pipe sounded like the hardest part.

hondatrikesrule22
11-18-2005, 04:40 PM

I think that is actually a good idea....that would be awsome.:w00t: Imagine, that modern motor, inverted front forks, a bad-ass rear shock, extended axle, shortened swinger, 18'' tires, that would be a bad-ass trike. I may have to try it....

KASEY
11-18-2005, 08:08 PM
THERE WOULD BE ONLY ONE OR TWO REPLYS TO THIS THREAD,,,,, if all the hearsay would just go away!!!!!!!

i have a 86 cr500 in a 86 atc 250r frame ,,, NO FRAME cutting was done,,, the original cradle is still intact,,, i can change the plug change the oil and do everything without any problems,, there are some vibrations SOME going on three years of riding and no broken frame ,,, so it must not be to bad,,,,

Don't know if it will

I belive there are

I think there was is this a tech thread or a speculation thread do you guys work in the media?????:lol: :lol: :lol:

BigGreenMachine
11-18-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry Kasey...I'll go be helpful somewhere else as there seems to be no room for it on this forum.

KASEY
11-18-2005, 10:17 PM
theres room for everyone here,,, it just gets old reading posts in a thread where someone is asking a question and you get 15 posts that start with i think,,,,,,, or i heard,,, or not even close ,,,,, i don't mind opinions they are ok in the right thread,,,

well after calling around today ive come to the conclusion that its not that easy to find a cr500 motor , im gonna keep lookin, and if i cant find one ill jsut geta 250r motor. my buddy knows where theres like 6 of em
cr500's are easy to find if you have the money,,, ohhh i have a idea,,, CALL your buddy that might make it easier :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

200xcellent
11-18-2005, 10:31 PM
cr500's are easy to find if you have the money,,, ohhh i have a idea,,, CALL your buddy that might make it easier :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:[/QUOTE]

He's talking about 250r motors :crazy:

diablo0072k
11-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Found one, a cr500 motor that is. im gonna go check it out monday. i called and the guy was sure what he wanted for ir, he said come out and i'll give ya a deal on it. its missin the kicker be the way.

Bigbore
11-19-2005, 06:35 PM
Kasey,
I'd love to see photo's insted of talk, close ups, of the motor / frame and how you managed to get the motor in.

Bigbore
11-19-2005, 06:49 PM
Kasey,
Show some close up photo's of the frame/motor. Then everyone would waste the time talking about it and wondering how you got it to fit.

Billy Golightly
11-19-2005, 08:01 PM
I had to split a few posts off from this thread...Lets try to keep things civilized and prevent it from getting out of control. Thanks :)

Dammit!
11-19-2005, 10:32 PM
NO FRAME cutting was done,,, the original cradle is still intact,,,

I could have sworn you told me you had to cut a lower cross member out of the frame. Now I'm even more impressed. :lol:

Mind if I post a pic? I've got a good closeup of it from Cinders. Can't see the bottom but you can see the custom motor mounts in the front at least.

KASEY
11-20-2005, 12:44 AM
i'll post some tomorrow i'll have to pull the tank , gettin ready to go to glamis so i will be workin on it tommorrow,,

88 Turbo Coupe
11-20-2005, 06:15 AM
Buy the 85 cr500 engine. It was the highest HP engine that Honda produced. Any thing else after that was just detuned. Balace and bluprint the engine if your concerned about vibration. After I did my 486 engine I noticed less vibration. Also port the intake a little. that wil help also. If I was into a ATC500 the 85 engine is the WAY TO GO.

Derrick Adams
11-20-2005, 07:46 AM
[QUOTE=KASEY]THERE WOULD BE ONLY ONE OR TWO REPLYS TO THIS THREAD,,,,, if all the hearsay would just go away!!!!!!!

i have a 86 cr500 in a 86 atc 250r frame ,,, NO FRAME cutting was done,,, the original cradle is still intact

I think you forgot how you built your own bike. Been awhile since you had the motor out huh?:lol:

Quote Kaseys Thread on 3wheeler.org : "ok here is a frame that is ready to install a cr 500 motor. the two little cross members by the footpegs are removed, there is a dimple in the framebehind the bottom motor mount that is needed to clear the clutch cover. the lower motor mount is also dimpled and moved . the part between the fotpeg mounts is also dimpled to clear the shifter!!! the motor was in and out thirty times before these points made it to there final position,,,, not an easy task"

PICTURE: Kaseys frame from his 500 project

Billy Golightly
11-20-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm gonna be doing the CR500 into a 250R frame swap sometime soon...gonna make a bad ass flat tracker. I'm guessing that by the removal of those bottom cross members, height is the issue. Would it be possible to instead remove the top headstay cross member and make it bolt up somewheres else? I'd rather take that out then the bottom ones myself.

Derrick Adams
11-20-2005, 10:35 AM
Good luck getting traction with that engine in a flat-tracker. Jason was having a hell of a time with his 310. If you do get traction it will be SICK

KASEY
11-20-2005, 12:13 PM
ok you got me,,,,i meant the main frame .. he was talking about cutting the whole bottom off and graphing another frame to it..... i did not do it that way ,,, the entire engine cradle is still intact,,,
http://www.hellblazer.com/media/doh.png

MTS
11-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Buy the 85 cr500 engine. It was the highest HP engine that Honda produced. Any thing else after that was just detuned. Balace and bluprint the engine if your concerned about vibration. After I did my 486 engine I noticed less vibration. Also port the intake a little. that wil help also. If I was into a ATC500 the 85 engine is the WAY TO GO.
Highest Stock HP yes, but it was a 1 year motor with a diffrent trans and a ***** to find parts for so i thought, there is tons of room on a 500 to open up the intake and exaust, last cylinder we had on the SMR 500 the exaust and intake where both widend over 4mm (cant remember exact specs) and raised and increased the duration a but load,,,,complete diffrent transfer ports and what not...it went like a raped ape till it started crackin pistons on race gas....which we found the cause to be from "other" problems...not the porting..lol :lol: :beer

Billy Golightly
11-20-2005, 03:04 PM
Good luck getting traction with that engine in a flat-tracker. Jason was having a hell of a time with his 310. If you do get traction it will be SICK

I got some ideas :D We'll see in a couple months.

KASEY
11-20-2005, 04:19 PM
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A 310 AND A 500 IS TORQUE... the 500 will be able to run way lower rpm's and have a better chance to not spin the tires , and with a broader power band it should actually be easier to flat track ,,,,,,,

BigGreenMachine
11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
I got some ideas :D We'll see in a couple months.

Billy what ever became of your XR500 trike? I would think that motor would be sweet in a flattrack R. There is a XR500 powered 250R golfcart on ebay now. :wondering

Billy Golightly
11-20-2005, 06:32 PM
Its in the barn, I kind of quit on it. Honestly I'm alot more interested in pinger power now a days.

3leggeddog
11-20-2005, 06:59 PM
hmm,how about making someone,ME,a good deal on it????,lol!!!!!!!!

Billy Golightly
11-20-2005, 07:45 PM
I'd lose my ass if I ever sold it...Got to much money in it. One day I'll finish it. Not anytime soon though.