PDA

View Full Version : Who here plays an instrument

Rm250RF900R
11-17-2005, 04:33 PM
I do. I've been playing bass guitar for close to 4 years. On and off. I'm teaching myself to play. I should really get lessons though to learn the cords and such. But, overall, I'm not THAT bad. I can play most of Nirvana, A lot of Alice in chains, Pink Floyd. Really anything if I put time into it. So who else plays an Instrument?(sp)

Edit: Does anyone have any tips to get your fingers stronger? The lower on the fret board you go on a bass, the harder it is to bend. So any tips to get your fingers strong would be appreciated.

ATC crazy
11-17-2005, 04:39 PM
I've been playing the drums for a little over 8 years now. Im trying to sell them...so If you know of anyone, let me know. :P

Rm250RF900R
11-17-2005, 04:41 PM
Why are you giving them up?

ATC crazy
11-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Im a college student trying to feed a V8 and I have no job right now.... Im sure you understand (or will understand) :lol:

ATCWRENCH
11-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I've been playing bass for about 5 years now, 4 strings rule:w00t: the only thing I can say about bending bass strings on the lower frets is to learn how to hook the string with your fingers or I will grab it with 2 fingers and bend the crap out of it. either technique works, I use both.

RedRider_AK
11-17-2005, 05:44 PM
Ive been playing guitar on and off for 3 years now, and Im getting pretty good at it.

zoomerman
11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
i've been playing guitar for about 3 years now

Rm250RF900R
11-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Yeah I usually use 2 fingers to bend the lower strings. Just learned a new song today. Alice in chains - what the hell have I. Its one of my favorite songs.

Dammit!
11-17-2005, 09:34 PM
I play a bit. (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22doug+notter%22)

ATCWRENCH
11-17-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey Dammit did you record and produce those spngs yourseld? if so man they shred, I really like the sound. have you ever heard of buckethead?

angryyoung
11-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Ive been playing guitar for 5 years..... still play every day :)

Dammit!
11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
Hey Dammit did you record and produce those spngs yourseld? if so man they shred, I really like the sound.

Yeah. I did everything on that except play and track the drums. Keith Heaney played the drums and they were tracked at a local studio. We then took the tapes to the home studio for me to finish the tracking and mixing. It's a few years old and real life has been a PITA ever since so I haven't done anything new.

threewheelin-feelin
11-17-2005, 11:09 PM
ive been playing the guitar and bass guitar for about a year now....im getting pretty good....ive been getting pretty good at pink floyds wish you were here, comfortably numb and another brick in the wall...i also know let it be by the beatles, down on the cornor by ccr, house of the rising sun, the aucustic part of free bird and ive just learning purple haze....my best sounding song is lola by the kinks...i can also make the drums sound half way descent

Russell 350X
11-17-2005, 11:18 PM
I've been playing guitar for about a year. I originaly had a Krammer but I sold that and bought a brand new ESP-LTD F-50. Got some 56-13 GHS Boomers on it for strings. I'm ok at it, but slowly getting better. I just learned Lamb of God's Omerta (not a hard song tho). I play everyday or at least try to.

Russ

BigGreenMachine
11-17-2005, 11:20 PM
why hasnt anyone made the organ joke yet? come on ppl pick up the slack...

ATCWRENCH
11-18-2005, 12:53 AM
I play a LB70 4string Carvin bass.

Dammit would put those songs in a downloadable file abd PM me it please, I would appriciate it.

I dont know about you guys but i listen to really heavy metal, thrash, speed metal and the only thing I can ever come up with when I play is hard rock. dont get me wrong I like hard rock but its irritating when you want to play metal but only rock comes out

Dammit!
11-18-2005, 01:13 AM
The last link on that page had them in downloadable form.

http://www.moral-dilemma.com/downloads.html

Rm250RF900R
11-18-2005, 08:43 AM
I just have a little crappy dean playmate. I play it through a Behringer 50w amp. I'm thinking about getting a Epiphone Firebird gothic bass guitar(also made by Gibson). I would really like the Nikki Sixx verison as it is pretty nice. Its about $450. A lot of bands play with this guitar. I know Krist Novoselic of Nirvana recorded some stuff with the Firebird. The Gibson verison cost a lot more than the Epiphone. I would like to also get an Oviation Applause. I love the sound of the Acoustic bass. I guess Ovation is good also from what I hear. That website I posted is a really good one. If your looking for a good music store website. Check out.

www.music123.com
and
www.musiciansfriend.com

dividebyzero
11-18-2005, 01:05 PM
I've been playing bass for about 17 years.It's a fender 50th anniversary.#466 out of 500 made.Here's a pic:

Wickedfinger
11-19-2005, 02:41 PM
Guitar for over 24 years now - since I was 9. My grandfather was kind of a old time semi-famous musician - He played in Glenn Millers USO band. He was a local celebrity who was big in the New York music scene, then radio after the war. He eventually went on to establish a music school in Trenton NJ.

Pistonhead
11-19-2005, 08:51 PM
I've been playing bass for a fair while now. I've been in the same band since last febuary and its coming along very well now. I mostly play thrash and power metal. The music my band makes is a sort of cross between Iron maiden and Rush in a way. I have found the best way to gain finger strength when playing bass when youre just beginning is to play everyday and take simple but okay sounding songs (Misfits or others) and learn to play them very fast, and then move onto more complex songs as you progress. Getting better at bending strings I'd suggest practice practice practice and then practice some more, I also use 2 fingers for bending sometimes. I kept on practicing bending till I could do the first part of anesthesia (after the drums come in I mean) without using a wah pedal. I know alot of Led zeppelin, Maiden, Metallica and other metal and classic rock. I'd say another good idea is not to blind yourself to other genres, especially in bass there is a hell of alot you can learn from jazz and funk players that will make your playing and especially solos a whole lot better especially if you are a metal person like I am, from my experience I find you dont want to have to adapt and start from the very beginning if your band wants you to do something a bit funkier or you want to do it yourself. Alo no one ever creates something new by setting up barriers you've got to break boundaries and define what you do, also the creepy little dude at the guitar store may just have some excellent advice.

I'd say my personal favourite bass are Ernie ball/musicman, Fender p and jazz basses, warwicks, ibanez, rickenbaker and esp's.

RedRider_AK
11-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Im planning on selling my Epiphone Les Paul pretty soon and buying a TRX 125 four wheeler

Rm250RF900R
11-20-2005, 08:46 AM
I am almost thinking about buying a better bass. I'm looking in the $200-300 dollar range. I was just looking at a Peavy and I like it. Its $220. What do you guys think? Any recommendations?

Mosh
11-20-2005, 12:55 PM
i have been playing guitar since 1988. used to play a ton,and the bikes kinda took over.had a hobby band for a while,nothin serious. we mostly did cover tunes. we plad zepplin,metallica, chains,megadeth, vintage sabbath stuff,offspring,basically if we liked it we tried to play it. i have a fender american made prodigy(very rare axe to find) they wer banned for some reason, i have a crate 4x12 cab with an ada 200 watt power amp,a gsp 21 pro effects system and a digitech rp foot proccesror,a tascam 4 track recorder, a peavey nitro electric guitar(just a cheapy) and a fender 12 string accoustic. i used to have a ibanez custom s series guitar with gold bling and see thru maple top( had to sell to buy house) and used to have an old bc rich warlock. those were awesome. as far as getting your fingers stronger, i know it sounds crazy, but play a 12 string accoustic. those have some tension. as far as bass, hands down, i think cliff burton was the best. it is too bad he died and i wish there were some basement tapes of him jammin doin his own thing. in the movie cliff em all by metallica, he does some crazy solo work.he is the only bassist i have heard actually solo a bass like a guitar with the same kind of speed that you would get on a 6 string. all the great ones die it seems, dimebag darrell,stevie ray,cliff, and jimi hendrix, and it is unfortunate that they never get recognized as being great till after the have passed on.right now the best work i have heard since hendix is FRANK MARINO AND THE MAHOGANY RUSH. he is great and you can look him up on the net at; mahoganyrush.com he has links to order his music there.he is better than hendix,the fastest longest soling guy ever and can play everything from blues to jazz to metal. not many have heard of him,but if he dies i have afeeling he will get popular too. that is how it was with hendirx. no one listened to him or knew of him till he died.but it is graet that they all left a legacy to carry on their names.

RedRider_AK
11-20-2005, 05:23 PM
he (Cliff Burton) does some crazy solo work. he is the only bassist i have heard actually solo a bass like a guitar with the same kind of speed that you would get on a 6 string.
You probably dont know him, but Geddy Lee from Rush can do some crazy bass solos... :beer

Mosh
11-24-2005, 12:04 PM
oh i know geddy, saw rush with primus;) at the richfield colliseum years ago.talk about bass solo wars:lol: les claypool rocked.

ANTI-QUAD
11-24-2005, 03:39 PM
i used to play bass and six string...havn't touched them in 8 years (got married lol) still own a yamaha 5 string bass ans a fender srtat...need an amp bad

RedRider_AK
11-24-2005, 04:44 PM
oh i know geddy, saw rush with primus
Sweet!:w00t:

Pistonhead
11-25-2005, 01:54 AM
Speaking of cliff and geddy, they both rule. I know most of anesthesia and a bunch of geddy's solo in "freewill". Bass soloing rocks.

Heres an old (1986) interview with cliff from rock hard magazine:
http://www.artistwd.com/joyzine/music/burton/burton.php

bigredhead
11-25-2005, 11:39 AM
Dammit.. i just downloaded DOSE... not bad.. but i have a sudden urge to eat a hand full of mushrooms... :lol:

Oldshell4481
11-27-2005, 10:30 PM
Big Green Machine are you saying you play the skin flute??

*****why hasnt anyone made the organ joke yet? come on ppl pick up the slack...******

MTS
11-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Dammit....that is some KICK ASS tunes.....i just added them all to my playlist...very nice..

honda200
11-27-2005, 11:02 PM
I have been playin guitar for about 4 years now, I have a Hamer Explorer and a crappy Peavey Amp

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/curtis_guitars/NewGuitar.jpg

I loaded the guitar with seymour duncan 59 pickups for now, I want to go with EMG 81/85 but alas, i dont have the coinage for it.

As for music, I play alot of Slayer style riffs (speed metal) and alot of Metallica too, a little bit of twisted sister and some blues thrown in too, i am a pretty versitile guy :)

Curtis

Dammit!
11-28-2005, 12:28 AM
Dammit.. i just downloaded DOSE... not bad.. but i have a sudden urge to eat a hand full of mushrooms... :lol:

Hehe, yeah. I came up with the basis for that one in some canyon in Sedona. I was uh... under the influence of some chemicals with strong hallucinogenic properties. :lol:

Rm250RF900R
11-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Lmao :lol:

typikalreason
11-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey, I have been playing bass and guitar for about ten years now. Your best bet with bending is to use your third finger and plant the first two behind it for extra support. I also like to use chromatic excersises for speed, that is playing four notes each a fret apart with one finger for each note, and alternating from top to bottom string. It's a great warm up as well.

Chevy200s
11-28-2005, 10:39 AM
Hey all,
I love anything with strings on it. I've been playing guitar for about 11 years, and just a few years ago started getting into the other instruments as well, particularly mandolin. My favorite that I own is an Ovation 12 string Glenn Campbell signature. I also have an Aria 7 string electric, fender strat, a bunch of no namer accoustics, a bass, Kay electric mandolin, 1921 Vega banjo-mandolin:cool: , 2 violins, a dobro slide guitar, and 2 pretty decent classical guitars. I do more acoustic than electric so my amps arent too great, but I have a Peavey Blazer 158 practice amp, another smaller Peavey, an ART processor with 200 effects and ART pedal board with 10 little pedals and 2 expression pedals, both of these are right out of the 80's.

The next instrument I want to get and learn would be a 5 string banjo. My friend has one that I mess around on from time to time, but I want to get my own soon. As I'm sure most you guys know, all my $$ goes to my trikes and my trucks, lol

dovesprings250R
11-28-2005, 12:27 PM
I have a red ibanez guitar and a crate amp I've had for 3 years but don't play much. Maybe I'll puu it out of the basement tonight.