PDA

View Full Version : I mentioned BMX bikes a while back and ........

Huffa
11-28-2005, 11:38 PM
I pretty much ventured into all catagories of bikes.

Here is my latest ebay win.

It's a SUPER RARE 1978 Schwinn Klunker 5. It was their 1st "mountain" bike attempt ever from Schwinn and was referred to in adds as a great heavy duty beach and off road bike.

Whats really cool is the name and history of it. Schwinn only had that name for 2 years at most because it was too close to what another company was using and they were going to get sued so Schwinn :banned: the name and the bike then turned in to simply just a "Cruiser".

Some guys thought someone changed the name on the chain guard and could not believe Schwinn would name a bike a KLUNKER! I wondered myself when I 1st saw it and had to ask on a Schwinn website I go on.

This is after I detailed it somewhat (still have a ways to go yet). Value of it ......... hard to say but it's priceless to me. I paid $45 for it. With how rare it is and the history that goes along with it $500 would be an insult to me. Even a $1000 would as this one is quite nice for being 27 years old!!

Think a Stingray is hard to find, try finding one of these! It's all original too right down to the tires. Speedo says 444 miles and does work. I had it up to 30 MPH :eek: That was going down hill though. The thing is an abosolute TANK ! Rides real nice though..........like my SX 250 :lol:

Chek out the motorcycle type rear brake drum, now how cool is that!

bigredhead
11-29-2005, 12:25 AM
Hey huffa.

Since you are so much into bikes lately...

Take my advice and electrify one !!! you will never want to pedal again and might spend as much time riding them around as you do your trike !!

www.itselectric.ca Wilderness Energy kits.

http://www.largoscooters.com/ another brand ( go hub brand)

www.crystalyte.com one of the best quality hub motors around.

www.visforvoltage.com check out the forums.. best EV site around.

Search google for " Bicycle Hub Motor "

www.evsolutions.net US / Canada importer distributor for crystalyte.. check out the " Dirt Monkey ".

Dusty
11-29-2005, 01:06 AM
thats pretty rare..i have a old 70s model stingray its green...my father bought a house and it was in the basement..not sure how much its worth

Huffa
11-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Hey huffa.

Since you are so much into bikes lately...

Take my advice and electrify one !!! you will never want to pedal again and might spend as much time riding them around as you do your trike !!

www.itselectric.ca Wilderness Energy kits.

www.gohub.com another brand

www.crystalyte.com one of the best quality hub motors around.

www.visforvoltage.com check out the forums.. best EV site around.

Search google for " Bicycle Hub Motor "

www.evsolutions.net US / Canada importer distributor for crystalyte.. check out the " Dirt Monkey ".

Thanks for sharing all that info BRH and I plan to just do that in the future (spring time) to a ballon Huffy bike I have! No one has them around where I live so would be a high cool factor. :beer

85hondaatc125m
11-29-2005, 08:08 PM
That looks like a cool bike, instead of being a 3 on the tree it is a 5 on the tree lol. I like that frame how the metal comes from by the rear tire and comes up to the main part of the frame.

Huffa
11-29-2005, 09:32 PM
That looks like a cool bike, instead of being a 3 on the tree it is a 5 on the tree lol. I like that frame how the metal comes from by the rear tire and comes up to the main part of the frame.

Thank you! :beer

I dig the frame as well.

I took a picture of it to a Schwinn collector today and get this ..........HE never heard of it, never saw one, A COLLECTOR !! He has loads of stingrays, middle weights and ballon tire jobs but never ever in his 20+ years did he come across a Klunker.

Made me feel pretty good about the purchase of it!

85hondaatc125m
11-30-2005, 12:03 AM
You should sell it and buy a trike now lol! But seriously you should keep it and hand it down to your kids and then get them to hand it down and ect.