PDA

View Full Version : New non-hybrid Honda sedan 65mpg - HCCI

OldSchoolin86
11-30-2005, 05:02 PM
I listen to Clark Howard when I can. He’s a very reputable financial genius with an AM radio show. You might know who I'm talking about but if you don't you should check him out. He's not your average up-tight financial guy.

Today he touched on a subject about Honda developing HCCI engines so I went to his web page and pulled out this quote. It's no BS and they are running this in a regular sedan, not a tiny euro car. Wall Street Journal in Asia reports that so far road tests are proving it's been a complete success.

Here's the quote from Clark Howard:

"Honda has had a reputation as the best engine maker in the world. But Toyota has now one-upped everyone with its hybrid engines. As a result, Honda has been working overtime to recapture its innovative lead. The company has secretly been working on a gas engine that gets 65 miles per gallon of gasoline. It’s a regular car with an HCCI engine. That translates into “Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition” but what it means is that it allows a gas engine car to run as efficiently as a diesel engine. These cars won’t be out next year, but it will be in the next five years. Companies have the ability to cut fuel consumption in half. Many just haven’t tried. So, there are good things happening, including in the United States. But we need to continue on this path and continue separating ourselves from foreign oil sources. If you read the quotes of the Iranian president in recent weeks, you’ll realize how important it is that we assert our independence in the oil world."

Very interesting, sounds like so called "available tech" is being put to use.

Billy Golightly
11-30-2005, 08:05 PM
Interesting. As long as they maintain an acceptable power to weight ratio similar to what we have now I'll be happy.

dreadhed
11-30-2005, 09:18 PM
Clark Howard is the man. His show is not just on am. I get it on FM. I listem to Dave Ramsey too. He does the same type of show.

Maine_Triker
11-30-2005, 09:43 PM
Hmmm.... sounds cool.... now build me a V8 truck with this HCCI and I'll really be happy.

edog
11-30-2005, 09:47 PM
I wounder if a HCCI motor would swap into my 1986 Cutlass Supreame?

yamahaman89
12-01-2005, 08:14 PM
i listen to him on kfiz in fond du lac where are at in wisconsin

TeamGeek6
12-02-2005, 02:28 PM
. Companies have the ability to cut fuel consumption in half. Many just haven’t tried.

Very interesting, sounds like so called "available tech" is being put to use.

Yep, but they refuse to, theyd rather waste engineering time on things nobody really needs like GPS and DVD players. The Fed is mandating around 30 some mpg by 2010 and since no one is forcing the issue, they arent going to do it voulentarily. All automakers have this technology already, especially SAAB, but it costs a lot of money to change production and the Big 3 are borderline bankrupt now. GMs already on the chopping block.

Im reading about this technology right now, with a picture of the cylinder, from a 1937 textbook on automotive engineering.