PDA

View Full Version : Cal ATV 250r plastics...ad New Approach??

Orangecnty250r
12-01-2005, 07:12 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-ATC250R-New-Factory-Left-Radiator-Air-Scoop_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43973QQitemZ45947 76443QQrdZ1

What do you guys think...Goes to show you have to read the fine Print..Something about it seems sneaky. Am I missing something??

atctim
12-01-2005, 08:49 AM
$51 shipping??????????????????????????????????????

chris200x
12-01-2005, 09:04 AM
what a tart! :(

2 of them in a box should be no more than $10 shipped anywhere in the country.

I just hope whoever bids reads the auction carefully or they 'll be in for a big surprise. :mad:

Orangecnty250r
12-01-2005, 09:05 AM
I thought I came upon a clearance special or christmas giveaway...Wishful thinking of course..I almost bid but then my senses came over me and I read the fine print.

69HemiGTX
12-01-2005, 09:09 AM
He's making his money on the shipping charges. That's why his BIN prices are so low. The rear fenders have a $275 shipping charge to my zip code. Someone is going to get pretty pissed-off when they buy them without checking his shipping prices.

blue27
12-01-2005, 09:28 AM
The whole idea behind this is the eBay commisions are only on the selling price of .99 not the 51.00, so they are saving money.

mike from long island
12-01-2005, 09:32 AM
so if saving money why not drop the price ands make it more attractive to us? i asked him about all the plastic for an 85 250r. they quoted me $25 for shipping it all. i didnt think that was bad. i order all the plastic from service honda. shipping was $80 bucks so needless to say i cancelled my order from service honda. now i just have to get around to biting the bullet to order from CAL-ATV later off to work

Orangecnty250r
12-01-2005, 09:45 AM
You are right shipping from Service Honda was Pricey...Cal ATV people have been very helpful also....The ad just doesnt seem like something they would do to me.

edog
12-01-2005, 09:46 AM
What a scam.

twgranger
12-01-2005, 10:03 AM
That is so stupid.

skippy
12-01-2005, 11:28 AM
ask him if you can come pick it up?? lolol

Red Rider
12-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I agree, if someone bid without reading his description, they would be in for a big surprise, but I'd hardly call it "fine print." His "new approach" is clearly spelled out in fairly bold print. Everything under "Customer Support", now that's fine print! It just goes to show ya', no matter where or who you buy from, you've got to read the instructions, and if it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is!

Meat-BoX
12-01-2005, 02:21 PM
I sent him a message telling him he sux. I hate that, he doesnt want to give e-bay a few bucks so he sells it for 99 cents and overcharges shipping 400%
What a cheap *******.

Red Rider
12-01-2005, 03:20 PM
I hate that, he doesnt want to give e-bay a few bucks so he sells it for 99 cents and overcharges shipping 400%Why should it concern us who gets a few bucks off of the sale? If he sells it for $47 & then charges $5 for shipping, it costs the buyer $52. If he sells it for $1 & then charges $51 for shipping, it costs the buyer $52. Either way the buyer is out of pocket for the same amount. It sounds like you're pissed off because you're not getting a brand new factory shroud for $1 + $5 shipping. Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

edog
12-01-2005, 03:26 PM
I don't think that is always the case.

nouseforaname90
12-01-2005, 04:24 PM
You guys don't get it. He even says in the ad:
"In an attempt to save you the buyer money we are trying a different approach to listing items by including the actual price as a handling charge."
As in if he has to pay the selling fee, he has to charge the buyer the extra 5 dollars or whatever it is that eBay would charge him for selling a $51.00 item. So instead of him selling it like this for $51.99, it would cost you $57.00. He is saving both of you money, pretty much.

Howdy
12-01-2005, 05:15 PM
You guys don't get it. He even says in the ad:
"In an attempt to save you the buyer money we are trying a different approach to listing items by including the actual price as a handling charge."
As in if he has to pay the selling fee, he has to charge the buyer the extra 5 dollars or whatever it is that eBay would charge him for selling a $51.00 item. So instead of him selling it like this for $51.99, it would cost you $57.00. He is saving both of you money, pretty much.

He is saving us money? What about the other ebay sellers that have to pay higher fees ( over time ) to help make up for the fee's sellers like this seller is trying to avoid?
IMO, If you can't follow Ebay Fee rules then get the heck off ebay. Here is a little Ebay tutorial about Fee Circumvention: http://pages.ebay.com/help/tutorial/feecirctutorial/intro.html

Howdy

nouseforaname90
12-01-2005, 05:29 PM
I don't think eBay is loosing too much. They are making billions of dollars from those fees each year..
They probably make more on those fees in 2 years than I'll make in my life..

88 Turbo Coupe
12-01-2005, 07:24 PM
I've seen that sales method before. Wanna buy a used car??

250SX
12-01-2005, 07:27 PM
As much as ebay overcharges for everything I doubt this is going to hurt them any. I'm sure some dogooder will report their auctions anyway though.:crazy:

wanta250r
12-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Someone selling reproduction seat foam did that for a little while, they had the bidding start at .01 then charge like $40.00 shipping. It doesn't really matter to the buyer either way. You are still going to pay the same amount. I don't know why buyers would be pissed off about it. it doesn't make a difference.

Mr. Sandman
12-01-2005, 07:57 PM
You are still going to pay the same amount. I don't know why buyers would be pissed off about it. it doesn't make a difference.
I'll bet you 99% of those complaining aren't interested in the parts in the first place but they're pissed off about it because they all want brand new parts for next to nothing. Bottom line...If you want to play you got to pay.

Yamahauler
12-01-2005, 08:09 PM
I don't think eBay is loosing too much. They are making billions of dollars from those fees each year..
They probably make more on those fees in 2 years than I'll make in my life..
If everyone started doing that, ebay would be losing a lot of money.

And if you make the same amount of money in a lifetime as ebay does in 2 years....I want your job

thedeatons
12-01-2005, 09:29 PM
First of all let me say that this is already becoming an emotional issue for some people, which is why I kinda hate posting my opinion.... that being said, I think everyone complaining is being hypocritical. This is just a simple sales tactic. There is no scam here, either way you are getting the same item, for the same price. Many people tend to get upset when they find out someone has thought of some way to get ahead, or to make a bigger buck, before they did. I've tried to sell items before to people and if they happen to find out what I paid for the items, they get offended, because they find out that I am making a buck or two. That's selling folks. Do you think that the car dealerships out there just break even when they sell you a vehicle? Somewhere, back in the back of the building, where they don't take you and your unsuspecting wife, an accountant is figuring out how to shuffle money from one account to another, so that the company can break out of the black and into the red a bit more. The same can be said about taxes.... Ahhh taxes... That wonderfully black and white yet so blatantly gray area of life that every business owner takes advantage of. How many people have written things off on their taxes that they shouldn't have? There is a fine line between a business lunch and a lunch with a friend isn't there??? Some of you know what I am talking about. How many of you have sold something and then as a sales tactic written a receipt with a lower price on it to help the buyer avoid DMV fees? Uh-huh... some of you are now feeling guilty. The only thing this Ebay seller is guilty of is being smart, and trying something new in an effort to save us money and make them some more money. I do not blame them one bit. Over the years I have watched Ebay fees go up higher and higher, and then they purchase Paypal so they can make money on the back end of the deal... Rest assured I have my ways of beating the fees they charge also, and I don't feel a bit bad about it. I have no emotional ties to Ebay as a company, and I am not a stockholder, so the fact that people are learning how to keep more money in their own pockets and less in Ebay's purse makes no difference to me. These tactics my friends are what makes America great. These people who think out of the box are the people that will go far in the world. By condemning this out of the box thinking, you are closing your mind off to learning new sales tactics. Once again, I'm sure this discussion will only get more heated, and I hate to see that. It has already been pointed out that these prices are quite fair, so this is NOT a dealer we should be fighting. If dealers can't get their act together and charge fair amounts for parts and shipping, then we should be acting out against them!

blue27
12-01-2005, 09:35 PM
enough said! Thank You

edog
12-01-2005, 10:18 PM
Spaces would be nice,I thought i was bad.

Orangecnty250r
12-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Uh oh did open a can of worms :eek: :beer

Just kidding...I'm definetly not overly emotional on this and i believe it is a good debate topic. My first impression was it was blatantly back doorish and not genious material by any means...I dont consider something this level "out of the box" but your analogy of a car dealership was a good example. What do I think of when I think of a car dealership "bend over":lol ...I dont buy or sell my parts cheap so i wasnt upset about that.

I believe when you have a company and want to build a stellar reputation, be a leader in your field, and demonstrate and build trust you need to show good ethics.There is nothing wrong with maximizing profits but when you show the buying public you are trying to cheat fees its not good for a your companies image. A poor business plan in my eyes.....and for lack of better words "Downright Cheesy"

Trikeaholic
12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
all good points OC and thedeatons. My question is "who gives a chit?"

thedeatons
12-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Sorry about the long paragraph, I thought about that in retrospect....

You are correct in that it "seems" shady to show the public you know how to avoid fees... I'll give that one to ya. I guess they did try and explain themselves though, and basically wrote it off as an experimental tactic... Good talk...

thefox
12-01-2005, 11:20 PM
See what I don't like is that now when I do a search with a price limit of say $30 I will still get a bunch of items that are out of my price range. Other then that I just look at it as a creative way to sell, after all it's not like they are just saying buy pays shipping and then when the auction ends they make a few dollars off shipping without stating that in the auction first. That is what gets me mad.

88 Turbo Coupe
12-02-2005, 06:53 AM
This way of selling is a bit unusual especially to the unsuspecting shmo who didn't read the shipping charges (fine print). But you also have to watch the people who don't list there shipping charges at all.

Meat-BoX
12-04-2005, 01:13 PM
I just like sales to be normal
20 bucks for the part 5 bucks for shipping. This I can understand:w00t:

He sent me an e-mail back but I was afraid to read it. I kind of felt bad bitching at him.

Sorry dude if your out there.

Bigbore
12-04-2005, 10:04 PM
You need READ better!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: He says;

" See our other auctions for more factory plastic!

In an attempt to save you the buyer money we are trying a different approach to listing items by including the actual price as a handling charge:

The cost of this item is $42 + shipping!!

When you purchase this item you are agreeing to pay the total amount of $51.99."

ou are agreeing to pay a total of $51.99" for the shroud AND SHIPPING.

cliff2302
12-05-2005, 01:54 PM
its still the same price you would pay for his auction before he uped the shipping, itss just that he's saving some money on ebay, and he gets more looks with a low price. Hes not making his money on the shipping, dont you guys get it?