PDA

View Full Version : Montreal, Canada

chris200x
12-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Ok, not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

Anyone on the boards live up there? Why you ask. Well for the next 10 weeks or so I will be up there working on weekends and I'd like to know what I should expect. Any help my northern neighbors would be appreciated. Like what's the weather like? How cold I should say. Cost of gas, smokes, beers ya know stuff like that.

I also need to know how much a US dollar is ya know the exchange rate stuff like that. what's the diffrence between celcious and ferenhiet? :rolleyes:

Also anything up there to do since I will only be working about 5 hours a day, :w00t:

chris200x
12-01-2005, 05:04 PM
oh, Is everything in french?

GreyhoundRugby
12-01-2005, 05:38 PM
I lived in Ontario for a long time and been into Quebec once or twice. Everyone will speak french until you ask english then almost all speak it well. The signs will be in both english and french. American dollar is worth about 1.16 canadian. Just know that 0 is 32 degrees haha (lot easier to remember than 32). Easy way to convert Celsius to Farenheit is start by multiplying the Celsius temperature by 9.
Divide that answer by 5. Then add 32. So If its 5 Degrees Celsius
5x9=45
45/5=9
9+32=41

GreyhoundRugby
12-01-2005, 05:39 PM
O and hit the duty free when crossin the border. :welcome: TO CANADA

chris200x
12-01-2005, 05:58 PM
what do you mean duty free.

Is it cheaper to buy smokes and stuff in the us than in canada?

Rm250RF900R
12-01-2005, 06:17 PM
well my grandfather just went to canada over thanksgiving. It cost him almost $3.00 a gallon for gas. Down here its only $1.98... That should give you some kind of idea what to expect in canada.

GreyhoundRugby
12-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Gas is expensive but at the duty free you pay wat you would pay for beer, squares everything except no tax

chris200x
12-01-2005, 06:49 PM
thanks guys... I'm looking forward to the trip. I'm going to be working outside so I guess I need to dress extra warm. I'm gonna take the digital camera with me so if I find anything of intrest I'll snap some shots and post them up.

According to mapquest it's about a 6 1/2 trip one way so it ain't gonna be that bad.

I've been up to niagra falls a couple times but never crossed the boarder. Do they hassle you when you cross? do they go through all your belongings and search the car... stuff like that?

GreyhoundRugby
12-01-2005, 07:47 PM
If youre eyes are bloodshut, smoke comes out of your windows when you role em down or theres a limb hangin out the trunk. But na its not too bad sometimes theyll run a dog around your car but if you're clean no worries

Mobular
12-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Easiest celsius to Fahrenheit conversion is double the C temp and add 30 to ge the F, temp.
Ex.: 10C x 2 is 20. Add 31 and you get 51 deg. F.

Close enough coversion table!

And don't even think about bringing guns in!

chris200x
12-01-2005, 08:04 PM
If youre eyes are bloodshut, smoke comes out of your windows when you role em down or theres a limb hangin out the trunk. But na its not too bad sometimes theyll run a dog around your car but if you're clean no worries

lol... Well I won't be worring bout limbs. :lol:

Maybe I'll pick up some cuban cigars while i'm up there. I think they are legal in canada.

thanks for all the info guys. Any thing else anyone can add would be appreciated. I'll be leaving very early friday morning so I'll be around a couple more hours.

Does anyone know of any points of intrest or attractions in or around montreal? Where's that tiger museum in canada some folks were talkin bout a while back?

Yamahauler
12-01-2005, 08:14 PM
Does anyone know of any points of intrest or attractions in or around montreal? Where's that tiger museum in canada some folks were talkin bout a while back?

thats 4 provinces over...in alberta, I'd like to go there sometime.

MTS
12-02-2005, 01:12 AM
lol... Well I won't be worring bout limbs. :lol:

Maybe I'll pick up some cuban cigars while i'm up there. I think they are legal in canada.

thanks for all the info guys. Any thing else anyone can add would be appreciated. I'll be leaving very early friday morning so I'll be around a couple more hours.

Yea cubes are legal, Cost you an arm and a leg tho, 60$ for a Habana.....smokes 10 bucks a pack.....Beer....20 bucks a 12 pack.....n make sure you stop at tim hortons for brekfast and coffe!!!!

GreyhoundRugby
12-02-2005, 08:18 AM
The XL double double man

bigredhead
12-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Montreal = Strip Clubs !!!!! lots of em. lol....

need i say more ?

And yes.. dress warm.

foster
12-03-2005, 12:44 AM
Montreal has just about the finest strip clubs anywhere, as noted by BRH. But you will be expected to tip the 25,000 doormen on your way in, or good luck getting served or a good seat. No touching though, unless you go in a back room for a lap dance.
Do you like hockey? Hockey is bigger than Catholicism, which is REALLY big.
World's finest smoked meat sandwiches at Ben's. A trip to Ben's is a must. Or at least Schwartz's. Some will argue one is better than the other. Meh, all I remember is that one is sleezy looking and the other is nice looking. I've been into the sauce any time I've gone to either one, and can't quite recall which is which. It's all good, though.
Excellent subway system. You can go anywhere for really cheap. Park your car and fuggedaboutit and forget about the expensive gas too. You can buy a one-month combo bus/subway pass and never have to drive just about anywhere.
As noted, be sure and hit the duty-free store before crossing the border either way. CHEAP booze, smokes, trinkets.
Don't sweat the Cdn border police, as long as you got nothing to hide. They choose cars at random to search. If you're unlucky number comes up, ain't nothin' you can do about it but submit to a complete vehicle search. Otherwise it's "Welcome to Canada, sir."
Expect temps around 32F when you arrive, getting generally colder as December winds down. Should be a typical December snowstorm while you are there, too.
Careful bringing equipment, tools across the border in either direction. You could be accused of buying it in the "other" country and trying to smuggle it in as being your own stuff you'vehad for years (which it is, I know.) The sure-fire answer is to visit your local customs office and get your tools, digital cameras, etc... stamped to show that you had it when you arrived/left. They could charge you duty on stuff you've owned for years!
They have a great Insectorium there, filled with bugs and lizards and stuff, if you are into that.
The downtown nightclub scene is absolutely crazy some nights! I don't think the bars ever close.
Great bands visit Montreal all the time, both in clubs and in the two giant hockey arenas.
Uh, that's all I can think of.
Welcome to "The True North Strong and Free."
P.S. Ignore the election bullshit. You'll go batty.

foster
12-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Exchange your money at a bank. Any bank will do it, for a very small fee. Otherwise some stores will give you a blank look instead of anything even close to a fair exchange rate. Generally though, they won't rip you off. It's just better to go to a bank to avoid anyone trying to take advantage. Most, or at least many, honest stores have the exchange rate posted right at the cash register.

Mobular
12-03-2005, 03:57 AM
http://www.montreal.com/tourism/general.html

Check here for some general info...

Kintore
12-03-2005, 09:50 AM
P.S. Ignore the election bullshit. You'll go batty.

LMAO:lol:

Its good down there, Went there for snowboarding once. Most of them talk english so you wont have to learn french. Good luck!

foster
12-04-2005, 01:17 AM
Ha ha.
Not to worry about French. They all talk French. They ALMOST all talk English, too though. Those who do not talk English understand the language of money very well.
Montreal is one of the greatest cities on the planet. It's safe, it's relatively clean, it's a party town, it's relatively cheap, I can't say enough about the place. I can't get there enough.
The most beautiful women in the world live in Montreal too, not to mention the best hockey team in the world. ;)

chris200x
12-05-2005, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I got back about 4 am last night. I really don't know where to start! It was around a 7 hour trip one way.

I had an absolute blast!!! Montreal is one of the cleanest most freindliest cities I was ever in.

A couple things I noticed... It was harder for us to enter canada than it was to get back into america. Almost 3 hours stuck at costums... :eek: We had to apply for all kinds of work permits, had to get our birth certificates and alot of other info faxed... they even wanted some contacts to call for refrences to make sure we were legit! What a nightmare!!!

You would think after 911 it would be the complete opposite. Reentering the usa the dude asked us 3 questions... do we have any meat, fruit or veggies... any alchohol? Any tobbacco... and that was it!!!

Some other things... They DO NOT have marlboro cigarettes!!! Once we entered quebec the english language pretty much dissapered. :( It would of been great to know that NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, and WEST didn't exist on any strret signs!!! :eek: It was Nord, Est, Sud and Ouest??? So for the first couple hours we were totally lost!!! :lol:

KFC is PFK??? (poliete friere de Kuntucky)??? some something like that!!! I found that pretty funny.

Chinatown was pretty cool

I must say that I did not see one overwieght ugly chick the whole time I was there!!! :w00t: Canadian women definitly take care of themselves... Not like MOST of the warthogs we got here in the usa...

Beer or Biere is outrageously overpriced!!! I paid something like $9 for a heiniken at the hard rock cafe. Something like $6.50 for a quart of beer!!! And no Yeungling lager!!! :eek:

The people are very, very freindly. :beer

They sell drug paraphenilia in almost every store I went into! :eek: Is pot legal or something??? :wondering Nothin like walking into a shop and seeing shelves and shelves of water pipes, bongs, and other paraphenilia... :rolleyes:

If I think of anything else i'll post it up as i remember... I took some crappy pics for all you to enjoy!

chris200x
12-05-2005, 10:00 AM
The trip up interstate 87 through eastern new york was absolutely the highlight of the trip... The adoroindack mountions and lake champlian has to be one of the prettiest places on earth. I wonder if there are any trails to ride up there... That would be a trip of a lifetime for sure...

chris200x
12-05-2005, 10:03 AM
We had to go post up going out of business signs for some kind of furniture store up there... So if any of you canadian guys are looking for a good deal on some furniture... :lol: :rolleyes: My dad and bro in law hard at work making signs for the "signwalkers"

I can hardly wait to go back!!! :w00t:

Rm250RF900R
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Yeah I've heard a lot of different things about montreal. All the kids around here go up there to have a good time. A few years back my brother and a couple of his friends went up for a few nights. He was at a bar and people kept coming up to him to see if he wanted any drugs. There are some mean streets up there, worse than NYC. So becareful. I guess I should go up there sometime to see what all the hub bub is about. I only been to canada once. And it was quebec. I was 6 or 7 at the time but I still remember it being real pretty. We used to stay at a cabin in Conway New Hampshire, and I guess we took a road trip.

bigredhead
12-05-2005, 01:15 PM
LOL.. nope.. dope is not legal in quebec.. but very well tolerated i'm told.

oh and PFK is " Poulet Frit Kentucky " .. aka kentucky fried chicken.

Chicken mcnugets are also called " Croquettes de poulet " .. lol.. yes. i'm french.

chris200x
12-05-2005, 03:58 PM
BRH... So does this mean I can call you frenchy? :lol: :rolleyes:

Someone mentioned about the goverment there. Something big was going on for sure because on saturday the parliment building was surrounded with police and very tight security. traffic was terrible as they had some streets blocked off and to top things off they had some kind of peace rally or some kind of pollution march going on that tighed things up more. I love it there but big city living is definitly not for me. :crazy:

The hotel we stayed at was on Creasent street or something like that but it was surrounded with all kinds of shops, bars and resturants. No matter which direction you went around the hotel. There is definitly no shortage of things to do or places to eat. I guess we lucked out when we made the reservations cause we were right in the middle of everything! We already decided to use the same hotel throughout our stay. Probably till the end of January. I can only imagine how cold it will be then. :rolleyes: As I'm stuck working outside all the time. :cry:

foster
12-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Oh yeah, Crescent St. is DEFINITELY in the middle of everything. I stay on or near Crescent whenever I go to the Canadian Grand Prix races. Good choice!

Montreal is one of the cleanest most freindliest cities I was ever in.
They got their share of scum, like anywhere, but I've never had a hard time from anyone in Montreal, including the cops.

A couple things I noticed... It was harder for us to enter canada than it was to get back into america. Almost 3 hours stuck at costums...We had to apply for all kinds of work permits, had to get our birth certificates and alot of other info faxed... they even wanted some contacts to call for refrences to make sure we were legit! What a nightmare!!!

You would think after 911 it would be the complete opposite. Reentering the usa the dude asked us 3 questions... do we have any meat, fruit or veggies... any alchohol? Any tobbacco... and that was it!!!
Well, uh, yeah. Not just anyone can come here and work, just like in the USA I can't just waltz across the border and get a job. I figured you'd done all that crap ahead of time. BTW, don't count on it being so easy to get back across your own border every time. I've heard some nightmare stories from my American friends.

Some other things... They DO NOT have marlboro cigarettes!!!
You should be able to find Marlies at many stores. Keep looking!

Once we entered quebec the english language pretty much dissapered. :( It would of been great to know that NORTH, EAST, SOUTH, and WEST didn't exist on any strret signs!!! :eek: It was Nord, Est, Sud and Ouest??? So for the first couple hours we were totally lost!!!

KFC is PFK??? (poliete friere de Kuntucky)??? some something like that!!! I found that pretty funny.

Wanna hear something REALLY funny? A Whopper is called "Le Whopper." LOL!!!!! I'm sorry, I just find that hilarious. I mean, what's the point?

Chinatown was pretty cool
Was there two Julys ago and yup if you want the real deal when it comes to Chinatowns and Chinese food, thta's the place to be.

I must say that I did not see one overwieght ugly chick the whole time I was there!!! :w00t: Canadian women definitly take care of themselves... Not like MOST of the warthogs we got here in the usa...

No one can disagree with that. Montreal women are absolutely stunning, for the most part. They must put something in the water or something.

Beer or Biere is outrageously overpriced!!! I paid something like $9 for a heiniken at the hard rock cafe. Something like $6.50 for a quart of beer!!! And no Yeungling lager!!! :eek:

The people are very, very freindly. :beer
Everything costs a fortune at the Hard Rock Cafe. But yes, because Quebec has the highest taxes in North America, beer in Quebec, no matter where you buy it, is outrageously priced. (WTF is Yeungling?!) Just wait until you see the price of cigarettes!!!

They sell drug paraphenilia in almost every store I went into! :eek: Is pot legal or something??? :wondering Nothin like walking into a shop and seeing shelves and shelves of water pipes, bongs, and other paraphenilia... :rolleyes:

If I think of anything else i'll post it up as i remember... I took some crappy pics for all you to enjoy!
Cops in almost every big city in Canada decided long ago they have better things to do than harass taxpayers who enjoy a smoke now and then. They have little tolerance for dealers, but as for smokers, the police got better things to do. Also, Parliament has been debating decriminalizing the stuff or outright legalizing it. It's not legal yet but it would appear that the day is coming. The only hold-up is that George W. has warned us he will close the border to trade if we decriminalize it. :wondering (Decriminalize = you'd get a ticket, like a parking ticket, if caught with an OZ or two. It wouldn't be a crime, it would be a regulatory breach, like jaywalking or littering.) Technically, paraphernalia is against the law but they don't even TRY to enforce that one! IF you would complain to a cop, they'd laugh in your face about paraphernalia. Maybe 1 out of 10,000 tobacco smokers in Canada roll their own tobacco, but oddly enough, every store sells rolling papers, and they all sell TONS of rolling papers. Gee, I wonder why?
Glad you had fun. IT's a great city. I've had the good fortune to be able to travel quite a bit in my younger years, but Montreal is still the best party town I've ever seen in my life.

chris200x
12-19-2005, 11:55 AM
How convienent is this! :Bounce :lol:

Never seen one of these before. :w00t: