PDA

View Full Version : Oil ingection pump on 78 DT175???

ATCkrazy
02-23-2003, 10:07 PM
This is the bike I just bought for $100, im trying to get it running agian, my buddie I bought it from said that back when it ran this past summer(it was running when he parked it last fall) he used ti pre-mix the gas at 40:1 and then fill the oil ingection with oil, he said he pre-mixed because the oil seemed to take a long time to get used up so he figured that the pre-mix/oil ingection would give it enough oil eathier way, I want to just block off the pump all thougher, but I was looking at it and all I can find is a line that goes from the oil ingection container to the right side of the motor, theres no pump or anything like my snowmobiles, so whats the deal? does the motor just suck the oil in from the line?? would it be safe if i just cut the line and put a screw in both ends?? Thanks for any info.

Jeb
02-24-2003, 10:42 AM
If you pull that little cover off of the right side engine case, in front of the clutch, you will find the oil injector. If I remember right, it operates off the throttle. the throttle cable splits and one end goes to the carb and the other to the a pulley on the front of the injector pump. If I remember right, I took off the oil tank and the pump. seems like I might have put one of those rubber plugs over the oil inlet on the carb.

TimSr
02-24-2003, 12:57 PM
Im pretty sure the "pump", isnt actual a pump, and it operates strictly off vacuum. The throttle cable just controls the opening. Im not absoluetly positive on this, but pretty sure. All you really need to do is plug the inlet to the motor though. Dont use a screw though, as they leak through the threads. Use something solid to plug the hose. Rubber plugs work best, like a pice of O-ring or tire plug.

ATCkrazy
02-24-2003, 04:43 PM
O.K. I just came up from the barn, yes the cabel splits in two, there is one big line that goes from the oil tank to the right side on the crankcase, theres also a little line that goes fron the same place to the right side of the carb, do I need to plug both lines??

ATCkrazy
02-24-2003, 04:44 PM
opps, i ment to say that the little line goes from the right side of the crankcase to the carb, not from the oil tank to the carb.

TimSr
02-24-2003, 06:43 PM
You just need to plug the one going to the carb.