PDA

View Full Version : has anyone went to MMI?

90nut
12-04-2005, 05:15 PM
Hey just wondering if anyone here has went to MMI? I was just wondering what some people think about it, as I am going to be heading to the campus in Orlando this summer. Anyones thoughts on this place would be great.

Billy Golightly
12-04-2005, 05:26 PM
I think DIGGER DOG is down there right now.

thedeatons
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
I have heard great things about them from my local Service Manager buddy, but he said that only very, very rarely will someone get picked up by a race team so don't count on that..... James

Billy Golightly
12-04-2005, 09:39 PM
I was originally wanting to go there as soon as I got out of school years ago. Didn't really work out though, but maybe some day. I would really like to go there and see what its all about. I'm fairly knowledgeable but its my goal to open a shop one day and I know I could use the extra learning.

90nut
12-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Yea Working on bikes is really the only thing I enjoy doing other than stuff with cars but it seems to be the number one place to go for the motorcycle industry. Is there any place good down there to ride? I am really hoping I end up renting a house with a garage so I can bring my tecate with me even if I can only ride every now and then. But either way I am ready to go. Price is kinda steep though. 26k for 87 weeks but oh well a good education will make you alot mor money than that anyways.

Billy Golightly
12-04-2005, 10:18 PM
Theres a few, word has it theres gonna be a new motocross park in this area soon but I dont know alot of details on it yet. I'm about 4-5 hours north of Orlando. Closer to Orlando is the Ocala national forest thats real good, and also Croom which is ok. Try www.atvflorida.com to see about some of the riding places around the state.

Billy

thedeatons
12-04-2005, 10:29 PM
You may want to speak to your local mechanic about what he REALLY makes when all is said and done.... prepare for dissapointment by the way.... it wasn't exactly what I consider a "good living" which is why I stayed away.... Now, owning your own shop and having other people do the work, that is where the money is... being a business-owner... You may also try out Robert Kyosaki's "Rich Dad, Poor Dad"... a fantastic book and very easy to read... explains the difference of being self-employed and being a business-owner.... Just a thought.... no offense of course, and sorry if I took your thread off track....

90nut
12-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Great info deatons, that is what I was wanting to hear! The guy from down there said starting wages for a full time mechanic is right about 30k? I found it kind of hard to believe myself. I want to go to a dealer and ask a mechanic these questions but I don't really want to be rude and be like, "hey how much money do you make" of course I would phrase it differently.

daputz
12-07-2005, 12:13 AM
I know a handfull of people that went to mmi, it is bar none the premier m/c tech training program. I know of 2 that are still in the industry, one as a tech, one as an instructor at the local tech school (m/c, outboards and weedwackers). The guy at the dealership spent 2 years as a wage slave ($10-13 an hr) before reciving book time...............after $20,000+ of schooling:wondering .

The education you recieve there is top notch and will give you an advantage over us "tech school" guy's...............but do not expect to get rich doing it (at least not right away).

While at the dealership I loved what I did and actually enjoyed going to work every day (even with lousy pay). How ever I got layed off when the street bike season slowed down (too cold) and took a job at a factory (again:cry: ) for more pay (over $5 an hr).

84honda 200X
12-07-2005, 12:13 AM
Ive got a buddy thats at MMI as we speak ive talked to him alittle bit but not about college or anything But i guess he likes it I know he was pretty pumped about going there. Hes going as a marine mechanic or whatever the term is to work on boats.