PDA

View Full Version : the Parting Out invasion

ATCT
12-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Even though this is 3-wheel related, I figured it would be an open forum post, so here it is.

Ever since I've started my recent 200X restoration project, I have been on eBay every day looking for parts. Out of curiosity, I've also looked up 250R and 350X related items as well. I have noticed that there is a large number of people simply parting out their trikes so they don't have to deal with shipping a three wheeler (even though they're not that hard to ship; a bit pricey--yes; cheaper than trying to part together an entire trike--yes.)

While it's great for the restorer or trike builder (myself included), I'm not so sure how I feel about it overall. It seems that eventually, even though it is helping people get their trikes back to original condition or perhaps get a long dead trike back out on the trail, the core of existence is being depleted and as a result, there are going to be fewer and fewer 3-wheelers around, just by it's very nature.

Based on this trend, we could be headed the way of the 60's/early 70's muscle cars (used a large number for demolition derbys/scrap metal in the late 70's, some now worth $500K-$1mil.)

Any thoughts?:wondering

Dammit!
12-10-2005, 05:16 PM
It's an unfortunate reality that our trikes are worth more in parts than they are whole. People will continue to cannibalize them for the almighty dollar.

deathman53
12-10-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah, the motors and suspension parts are gold, as are the small groments and stuff, but the frames are worthless.

Yamahauler
12-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Parts will always wear out, the only way to replace them is to get them off an old bike. There's no way to keep every bike from wearing out and needing parts from other bikes.

deathman53
12-10-2005, 05:41 PM
thats why I collect parts that I know I will be needing

dreadhed
12-10-2005, 08:05 PM
I'm glad people part trikes out. Other wise how would you get parts that are no longer made. What musle car is worth 500,00-1,000,000? There are tons of trikes left at the moment. I'm sure they will be for a while.

ATCT
12-10-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm glad people part trikes out. Other wise how would you get parts that are no longer made. What musle car is worth 500,00-1,000,000? There are tons of trikes left at the moment. I'm sure they will be for a while.

A '71 HemiCuda convertible sold for $1 mil in 2004. A really nice '70 or '71 HemiCuda hard top can fetch about $500K. A '68 or '69 GT500 Shelby Mustang Fastback will go for $300-400K now. There weren't many of these made to begin with, but people junking them over the years has made their value go up to ridiculous levels.

Like I said, on one hand I'm glad they part them out too, because it is enabling me to restore a couple of bikes. However, my point is, if people keep parting them out, eventually there won't be tons of them left. It may never get to the point of the car worth $1 mil, because there were way more 3-wheelers made, but they will become more scarce and more valuable. So, good for us, I guess.

69HemiGTX
12-10-2005, 09:47 PM
A '71 HemiCuda convertible sold for $1 mil in 2004. A really nice '70 or '71 HemiCuda hard top can fetch about $500K. A '68 or '69 GT500 Shelby Mustang Fastback will go for $300-400K now. There weren't many of these made to begin with, but people junking them over the years has made their value go up to ridiculous levels.

(In my best Paul Harvey voice)

And now, the rest of the story... The million dollar car was joined lated that year by the $2 MILLION 71 Hemicuda convertible. :eek: :crazy: The same guy bought it, and he was offered $5 MIL for it earlier this year, which he turned down. You're pretty spot-on about the values. I tell you what, this market sucks. :mad: I can't wait for the wine-and-cheese guys to look elsewhere for their investments and the hobbyists can afford to play again.

Now, about parting out three wheelers, I guess it's a judgement call. I hate to see really nice ATCs get parted, but those that are too far gone deserve to be used up to keep others going. Will we ever see an ATC price boom like the musclecar market? I highly doubt it, but pristine trikes will still command high prices and will be placed into collections instead of being ridden.

Billy Golightly
12-10-2005, 09:52 PM
I've got a barn full of "stuff" that people see and ask me all the time "Why dont you part that stuff out, you'd probably make pretty good money". I know though, that in a short 5 to 10 years, prices and the rarity of these things is going to go absolutely through the roof. We're seeing it happen right now with the prices some stuff go for on ebay. I'm holding onto absolutely every piece I can because I know the difficulty of finding that same part in the coming years will increase probably ten fold.

dreadhed
12-10-2005, 10:00 PM
I've got a barn full of "stuff" that people see and ask me all the time "Why dont you part that stuff out, you'd probably make pretty good money"
Ya me too. I don't get rid of much except a few things once in a while. I try to help people here. They will be hard to find in a few years like you said. That is the main reason I keep them. I think using ebay as a sign of the future is hard to do. Some times things go for high prices, then it will go back down. It jjust depends on how many people get into it.

Wow 71 Hemi Cuda conv. That would be nice. I had no idea that a couple of them went for $1 mill. That is insane. I all ways thought Mopar made the best musle cars. I all ways wanted to take a Hemi & put it in a Demon.

1984kxtTECATE
12-10-2005, 10:48 PM
What musle car is worth 500,00-1,000,000? There are tons of trikes left at the moment. I'm sure they will be for a while.

69' Plymouth Superbird with the 426 Hemi has fetched over $500,000.
Origanal 67' Shelby Daytona has fetched over a $1,000,000
67 Shelby Cobra with the rare 427 has gone over $500,000 also

As for trikes being parted out, oh-well, I need a lot of rare discountinued parts to keep my Green machine running in harmony. Im neutral on the subject, unless it is a mint low hour machine, then Ill get a little emotional.

dreadhed
12-10-2005, 10:56 PM
The Hemi Superbird is my dread car. Most of the people I know don't like it but I love it. I had no idea that so many cars went for so much. I figured they were just a few that fetched that much $. Ya a good runing mint trike should be left alone. imo

IrvSLedman
12-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Muscle cars rule man. lol ill get a 71and 1/2 Z28, a ball hitch and a trailer, and will drive around with a mint 87 200x on the trailer, and be in heaven

Bigred200
12-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Ok Hondaatc I have alot of stuff to but im really getting sick of looking at it.Most of it is 200M/es and S and plain 200 parts so in a couple of days when I borrow a camera and figure out how to post the pics on here. You will be seeing pics of my garage floor with a bunch of parts I will name some of them and others you will be just going by site so look in the Classifieds over the next week or so. TITLE will be CLEANING OUT MY GARAGE.