PDA

View Full Version : Postage to uk

paul_roca
12-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Any one know what is the cheapest way of sending a parcel to the uk?

Howdy
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Depends on what your shipping? Need package size / type and a weight.
Howdy

petesatc
12-12-2005, 09:37 AM
Yep send it using USPS that the US post office.....get the sender to put a value of less than $20 and there's no import tax either....hope this helps

paul_roca
12-12-2005, 09:41 AM
well LonesomeTriZ is sending me a Tri-z fuel pump and he said the shipping will be $23 unless i can find a cheaper way.

LonesomeTriZ
12-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Yep, I am not sure if they raised the amount or what. But I do not see how a four pound package should cost that much. Some give me some ideas here.

slothminx
12-12-2005, 09:54 AM
Postage is a fair amount to the UK unfortunately. I looked at getting some bits shipped over and the only way i can see of doing it cheaper is by sending it by boat and it taking 4-6 weeks :eek:.

When pricing up shipping i usually just go to www.usps.com and use the calculator thing there.

It is coming out at $23 http://ircalc.usps.gov/intl_speed.asp?CID=10150&MailType=package&Pounds=4&Ounces=0

If you can get it in an envelope they have a flat rate thing for items 4 lbs or under for $9 but im not sure how that would work out?

P.s Howdy you sorted the bleeder yet?;)

LonesomeTriZ
12-12-2005, 09:58 AM
The envelope price was no cheaper. I have sent items out the before that were heavier and did not have to pay that much.

petesatc
12-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Hey There...
$23 is about right for airmail shipping....USPS has put it's international shipping rates up in the last few months....

Howdy
12-12-2005, 10:08 AM
Yep, I am not sure if they raised the amount or what. But I do not see how a four pound package should cost that much. Some give me some ideas here.

I would try to go with a Large Global Priority mail envelope ( same size as a Flat rate Priority mail envelope ) for sending it ( $9 or so ). You may laugh but I shipped a Pull Starter via Global Priority envelope to the land down under for $9. The package weighed 3lb 10 oz. I wouldn't think the fuel pump would weigh any more than that. If I was packaging it up I would wrap the pump in a rag or paper towels and put it in a zip-loc bag. Then place it into the envelope and close it. As a safety measure I tape the flap down to be sure it don't accidently come open. If I remember correctly the pump is only 2- 2 1/2 thick on it's skinniest side. If I am correct it will ship this way with easy.

They do have a Small Global Priority Mail envelope also. It might be possible to fit the pump in there as well. If you can get it to fit ( it will be stuffed!! ) the shipping would be $5-$6.

But there is some stipulationg with Global Priority Envelopes, They can not weigh over 4lbs.

At any rate you will need some creative packaging ( And I am know for this, lol ). Just ask Billy about the package he just got from me, I stuffed a whole bunch of stuff into a Flat rate Priority envelope and there were NO problems to my knowledge.

Oh, did I mention the Post office will GIVE you the Global Priority Envelopes for FREE ( you still have to pay postage when you ship it / them ). This is super because you can pick up a few of each size and do a trial packaging to see if it will fit. Got to love that!!

Hope this Helps!!
Howdy

LonesomeTriZ
12-12-2005, 10:12 AM
I'll give that atry and see what happens. I am worried because the last two feul pumps I sold weighed 4 pounds once they were packaged up. Those were in boxes though, so maby the envelope will be lighter.

Howdy
12-12-2005, 10:13 AM
LonesomeTriZ, I wished you lived close to me. I would package it up for you. ;)

Sloth, Dammit, I have had it sitting here by the computer and totally forgot to send it. I will take care of that today. I hope it fits!!
Howdy

Howdy
12-12-2005, 10:15 AM
I'll give that atry and see what happens. I am worried because the last two feul pumps I sold weighed 4 pounds once they were packaged up. Those were in boxes though, so maby the envelope will be lighter.

Yes, the envelope will weigh less than 1/2 what a box will. I also just thought about this. If you have a Priority mail envelope there you can do a quick test fit to see if it will fit. They are the same size. ;)
Howdy

LonesomeTriZ
12-12-2005, 10:18 AM
LonesomeTriZ, I wished you lived close to me. I would package it up for you. ;)

No you don't, I would be over there all the time harassing you about your parts stash. :lol:

I have to send out a YTM jug today that I sold. I will grap a few envelopes and see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

Howdy
12-12-2005, 10:35 AM
No you don't, I would be over there all the time harassing you about your parts stash. :lol:

I have to send out a YTM jug today that I sold. I will grap a few envelopes and see what I can do. Thanks for the advice.

Come on over and check it out! Note: My NOS stash is getting thin quick!
Howdy

LonesomeTriZ
12-12-2005, 10:57 AM
I have a PM on its way.

TimSr
12-12-2005, 10:08 PM
USPS is by far cheapest for overseas shipping. The key here is the 4 lb mark. If its UNDER 4 lbs, the price drops sharply, and if its packaged in a small box, it can go airmail post, or global priority like Howdy mentioned, which also has a 4 lb limit. If its 4 lbs or over, you get hosed. I often ship Blue Marble overseas in two or three 13 oz bottles, rather than gallons beacause its cheaper that way than by the gallon due to shipping.

Howdy
12-16-2005, 12:00 AM
Hey LonesomeTriZ
How did you come out on the fuel pump? Was you able to fit it into the envelope?
Howdy

LonesomeTriZ
12-16-2005, 09:31 AM
Yep. It turns out I had plenty of padded envelpes here from be ebay purchases. It fit great. I am still not sure on how they will charge me. Sometimes I get a real jerk that works at the post office. He gives me a hard time about the dumbest stuff that no one else says a word about. i will be sjipping it out on Monday hopefully.

Howdy
12-16-2005, 10:13 AM
SUPER!!!
FYI, If they try to charge you over $9 or $10 then stuff it into a Flat Rate Global Priority envelope and ship it that way. That will get them. lol
Howdy

LonesomeTriZ
12-17-2005, 10:17 AM
:lol: Rodger that. Thanks for the tip.