PDA

View Full Version : Need advice quick

atctim
12-16-2005, 03:23 PM
I recently (this morning) won an item on ebay (ATC70 Rear Fenders). upon winning, I rev'd my invoice via email. I immediatly paypaled The Amount of auction $122.50 plus $13.80 S&H.

Now just a minute ago, I get this email from the seller (who has rating of about 99.8% of like 1500 sales):

The package is coming out to be an oversized 1 package, shipping is coming out to be 29.00 and not 13.80, a diff. of 15.20, when Craig. gave me weights for all the items that ended last night , I did not hear the dimensions...sorry about that...thanks, Liz.

So now what do I do. I don't want to pay that much more shipping!!!

What would you do?
What Would Jesus Do?

1DEADPRESIDENT
12-16-2005, 03:29 PM
I have also bought items from that same seller. My dealings were excellent with no problems. I have talked to Liz before and I would suggest that you start with her. She wears the pants! :lol:

atctim
12-16-2005, 03:36 PM
I have also bought items from that same seller. My dealings were excellent with no problems. I have talked to Liz before and I would suggest that you start with her. She wears the pants! :lol:

Well, the email is from her - what would you suggest that I do with her?

I have replied to her email. Here it is:

Hi Liz,

Just a thought, but this time of year, things are pretty tight for everyone, myself included. Being as though the fenders sold at a pretty high cost, would it be possible for you to make up the differnece in shipping. Upon recieving my eBay invoice, I promptly paid the cost of the winning auction amount plus your stated shipping costs of $13.80. Please give me your thoughts regarding this issue, as I want to work things out and be fair about it.

Thank you,

Tim Keister

1DEADPRESIDENT
12-16-2005, 03:55 PM
I can't imagine what else you could say. Everyone is going to lose money on shipping at some point, but you can always make it up later. This seller is DRATV right?

atctim
12-16-2005, 04:02 PM
No, it is

swapr

over 4800 items sold with a 98% rating!!!!!!

atctim
12-16-2005, 04:06 PM
now here is their reply:

Tim, I understand, things are tight for everyone. We simply did not think it would be an oversized item and made a mistake in our shipping quote to you. We made a mistake and are just asking for you to pay for the actual shipping charges. Fair to me would bethat you forgive me for making a mistake and pay for the actual shipping costs. I hope you understand , Craig

Someone help me

83200e
12-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Was the s/h quoted before you bid?

OldSchoolin86
12-16-2005, 04:13 PM
You only owe what was quoted unless it said that you will be charged for actual shipping costs. I'd tell her that you agreed to the terms ofthe auction and if they don't want to honor them, they can keep the fenders and get negative f'back as a bonus. I think they just made fool alert............:lol:

atctim
12-16-2005, 04:15 PM
Here is what is stated at the bottom of you auction:

PLEASE READ!!!!!!

**** We ship all items UPS ****

PLEASE DO NOT PAY UNTILL YOU HAVE A TOTAL WITH THE SHIPPING COST. We will contact you after the auction with a shipping cost (usually the next day) If you are not contacted within 24 hrs. please call us at 714 572 1489. Preferred method of payment is Cashiers check or Money order but we do accept Paypal. We are not responsible for items lost or stolen in the shipping process so we recommend insurance. A refund will not be given for items not insured. All items sold for under 100.00 are covered automatically if shipped through UPS. Magazines will be shipped usps. Sales tax will be added to California residents.

At Garage Classics your satisfaction is important to us so please ask questions BEFORE you bid. Please do not bid unless you are serious about the purchase. ALL California residents will be charged sales tax. Items must be paid for within 10 days or they will be relisted. If you are unable to get in touch with us through email, PLEASE call us at 714 572 1489. we do not ship COD. Money orders are Gladly accepted.

I have followed these directions and have already made my payment. I do understand that acciedents happen, and I forgive you, but why should I pay for your mistake? I am the Buyer. I have followed every instruction. Besides, I am sure your money has been re-cooped from the selling price of this item.

This transaction is all complete exceot the shipping. Keep in mind, your email to me, and my PayPal payment are a legal binding contract.

I don't want to make for hard feelings, but I also don't want to pay for more than I have originally agreed to pay.

Thanks You,

Tim Keister

Here is a copy of my payment details email:

Dear Timothy Keister,

This email confirms that you, takeister, have paid wattsuup@adelphia.net $136.30 USD using PayPal.

This credit card transaction will appear on your bill as "PAYPAL *WATTSUUP".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

Purchased From:swapr

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Subtotal
4596599719 1985 HONDA ATC 70 REAR PLASTIC FENDERS!! CHECK THIS! 1 $122.50 USD $122.50 USD

Shipping & Handling:
(includes any seller handling fees) $13.80 USD
Shipping Insurance (not offered): --

Total: $136.30 USD
Note:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shipping Information

Shipping Info: Timothy Keister
522 County Line Road
Venus, PA 16364
United States

Address Status: Confirmed

If you have questions about the shipping and tracking of your purchased item or service, please contact the seller wattsuup@adelphia.net.

Get Verified – Your Key to More Security and Free Features

Get Verified and help increase the security of your PayPal transactions for yourself and for everyone with whom you do business. You can also:

Fund purchases directly from your checking or savings account, in addition to using credit cards
Improve your reputation by letting others know you're a confirmed, Verified member of the PayPal community
Send money to friends, family, and PayPal Personal Account holders

Get Verified!

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

Your monthly account statement is available anytime; just log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com/us/HISTORY. To correct any errors, please contact us through our Help Center at https://www.paypal.com/us/HELP.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and choose the Help link located in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

To receive email notifications in plain text instead of HTML, update your preferences here.

PayPal Email ID PP843

OldSchoolin86
12-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I'd stay strong on this one. I'm in business for myself and I've ate bigger screw-ups then this without people even asking me too. You have to honor your deals period.

1DEADPRESIDENT
12-16-2005, 04:27 PM
I second that. I wouldn't give it up either. His mistake at his cost. Take it or leave it.

ScottZJ
12-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Well one thing is they dont list the shipping cost in the auction and says pays actual shipping costs. Now if they sent the total back to you once you have requested it with too low of a shipping quote, then thats their problem and I bet they are still making plenty of money on you to cover it. If you feel you need to send the rest, then I would send the rest via paypal with a credit card. Cuz for that extra 15$ or so they want, they will be charged out the yaazoo of paypal charges. That means they will probably see about 10$ of that hahaha.

Howdy
12-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Yep, I have quoted shipping cost only to find out they were more than expected. One item sold for $.99 and the cost to ship it was $4 more than quoted. I didn't ask the buyer to pay more, I simply ate the cost. To me the seller here needs to bite the bullet and honor the original shipping quote.
Howdy

83200e
12-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Another way of looking at it is ,you bid $122.50,expecting to pay actual s/h which you probably knew was higher than $13.She made a mistake on an invoice after the sale,and your taking advantage of it.

Howdy
12-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Another way of looking at it is ,you bid $122.50,expecting to pay actual s/h which you probably knew was higher than $13.She made a mistake on an invoice after the sale,and your taking advantage of it.

I do not understand how you can say he is taking advantage of it. He didn't ask them to ship the package for $13.80, that is what THEY quoted. Since they set the original shipping cost, then they should honor it. Plain and simple.

Howdy

atctim
12-16-2005, 05:11 PM
I Stuck to my guns and this is the latest:

Not a big deal, I just made a mistake. Your item has been shipped. Thanks for your business and have a great christmas, Craig

Now looking at his previous posts, it looked like he wanted to make a case out of it. Maybe I was blowing it out of proprtion, but I thought I was gonna get ripped. It's all good now!!

83200e
12-16-2005, 05:51 PM
I do not understand how you can say he is taking advantage of it. He didn't ask them to ship the package for $13.80, that is what THEY quoted. Since they set the original shipping cost, then they should honor it. Plain and simple.

Howdy
He agreed to pay actual shipping costs,but he's not.He's in the right,but he's clearly taking advantage of the mistake made by the seller.I'm not knocking him,just pointing out he probably knew it was a low quote to begin with.He's the one asking what Jesus would've done,and how to be fair about it,so I put it in a different perspective.

VABCH350X
12-16-2005, 05:53 PM
I'm glad everything was settled, sometimes ebayers on both sides of the transaction can display very poor business ethics (case in point: my recent $1850 truck sale where the buyer backed out because he did not realize it would be expensive to ship)

I Concur with Howdy's assessment. When I sell items on ebay I try to make a fair approximation of the shipping price so I can quote it to the buyer up front. Once I sold a set of "ape hanger" handle bars and underestimated, I ended up eating about $18 in shipping costs, but I never asked the buyer for a dime.

Another time I sold a brake line for $0.50, and the buyer never payed. I sent him several invoices, and eventually advised him that I was going to report his non-payment status to ebay. He finally sent the money, plus the $1 I had quoted for shipping. When I went to the post office, it cost me $3.95 to ship the thing. I had hassled the guy so I could lose money on the deal.

Cheers/ Paul

Vealmonkey
12-16-2005, 08:20 PM
I shipped the wrong item to a winning bidder once. When they told me what I did, I shipped the correct item and told them to keep the item that I shipped them first also. I didn't mind doing that at all, I know how I am when people ship me the wrong piece and then what a hassle it is to return it. I didn't want to give the winner the hassle of returning an item that I made a mistake on. Now, I'm only talking about a $20 item, but I didn't want the winner to be hassled.

VABCH350X
12-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Agreed. I have been sent the wrong stuff by sellers before, and they have expected for me to cover return shipping, and when they receive it, they will send the correct item. I have had a couple good email arguments over this, one of which resulted in negative feedback......c’est la vie.