PDA

View Full Version : Dads got alot of free time on his hands

YAMAHA_Jim
12-25-2005, 10:07 PM
This is my dads version of 1/4 eliptical suspension.I showed him a pic of a 4x4 from haspin-tf05 that had this design for rear susp.Up until then I never saw anyone cut a set of leaf springs in half and use 1/2 on each side upside down.I got halfarse pics of it covered in mud but not enough for him to see the design in detail. So far he only has his labor into this project,he fabricated,welded,assembled everything; and everything else on the jeep. He researched the idea on the internet and decided to wait until winter to build it. Anyone know anything about this design,goods and bads.
Thanx
I'll get more pics as progress goes on.Remember,this is still very unfinished.

YAMAHA_Jim
12-25-2005, 10:25 PM
more
The rear end flexes alot more than shown in the pic w/ the jack under it.

YAMAHA_Jim
12-27-2005, 03:23 PM
pics from today. Forgot to mention the rear axle is a ford 8.8 with an ARB air locker.The front also has an ARB air locker. 36 inch super swampers.Not much on this jeep is stock anymore except for the body.The gas tank has been relocated to where the back seat used to be.We tryed raising the gas tank where it was but then decided to just get rid of it all together to make room for the rear susp.The white PVC pipe up under the back is an air storage tank.
This will be my next hobby for sure after the atv's are gone.

LonesomeTriZ
12-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Oooooo, that is my suspension of choice. it looks like he did a good job on it. I planned to do the same thing to my next Ranger biuld. it is a good and inexspensive way to get a whole lot of flex.

ScottZJ
12-27-2005, 05:05 PM
You stink man! I just sold my huge rock crawler cherokee. Some kid came from CT to get it and drove it back! Man I couldnt believe it made it, esp with lockers and poor gas mileage. Boy I miss it already.

YAMAHA_Jim
12-27-2005, 06:45 PM
I have seen pics of your cherokee Scott. That was a nice setup.
I'm dying to see what breaks first on my dads jeep just so I can say to my dad," I told you that would be the weak spot". Actually it looks pretty bulletproof but there's always that one section that tweaks all susp just beyond the limit.
Maybe dad will let me bring this to Haspin next year. I have a truck and trailer to get it there.Getting his permission is a different story.