PDA

View Full Version : Banshee Pipe Question

balelorf
02-27-2003, 01:56 PM
I know I'm going to get a ton of opinions on this one, but I'm wondering what most people think is the best set of pipes out there for a Banshee, keeping in mind I'm trying to keep some low to mid power (not that there is much there to start out with) and build on top. It's my wife's bike and fairly stock right now. She tends to not like the light switch effect that a lot of my friends Banshee's have running Toomeys T-5 (I ride a cr250 so no comparo there)

ATC crazy
02-27-2003, 02:37 PM
Toomeys are some of the best pipes for the Banshee but since she dosent like em' then Id say go with FMF SST's for all around gains or the Fatty for low-end gains. The Gnarly takes off some HP's on top-end but not too much.

TimSr
02-27-2003, 03:56 PM
I have opinions on this based on my brother's forever seeking more trailworthiness, and hillclimb abilities on his Banshees since 1987. First Ill say that the stock Banshee has so much top end power power, that nonone can use it, and most if it is expelled in wheelspin, so you can afford to lose plenty of theoretical top end and will never even notice it. The stock Banshees greatest deficiency is on the low end, and the greatest gains in that area are the 2 into 1 pipes. The low end climbing ability he has now will make a lot of 4 strokes jealous. The short stroke on the Banshee gives it great low end potential if you pipe for it. As far as the effect on top end, Im sure you could see a decease on a dyno or some graph or chart, but in the real world where wheels need to grab the ground, youll never see it. The only difference you ever see in a drag race is the huge lead he grabs in the first 50 yards.

Big Darn Mike C
02-27-2003, 07:08 PM
T5's are awesome but I don't think that they are the best. For what you described I would say DMC 916's or fatties or even SST's. I personally am going to get either Pro Circuits or Bill's pipes. I hear that they have at least as much top end if not more then T5's, but also pull harder over a wider range.

balelorf
02-27-2003, 07:15 PM
One other thing I was looking at is Trinity Racing's pipes, but I've been dicked around by them so much over the last month I'm not sure I'm going to buy anything from them at this point (stuff on back order, "oh it'll be here next week" for the last month)

Wickedfinger
02-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Toomey T-5's by far for an otherwise stock motor - allthough they are a little loud - there simply isn't a pipe out there that can touch its overall horsepower gain, yet give the Banshee a little more of what it needs the most - more of a bottom end without sacrificing the legendary top end. My '87 shee had Toomeys and Ive ridden and raced quite a few other piped Banshees. FMF's, Bill's, Pro-Circuits and especially Dynoports 2-1 pipes that tend to shift the power curve way south and destroy what the Banshee stands for - legendary top end. If you want a pure woods machine, buy a 400EX. T-5's really are outstanding, all purpose pipes and have been for almost 10 yrs. By far the vast majority of the Banshee's where I ride are Toomey equiped - and I ride in pretty dense, old growth forest most of the time.

theeechozen1
02-28-2003, 04:58 PM
For ya ol' lady I would go with the DMC 916 (sounds awsome too) and get the trinity stage 4 single carb set-up, that should make it much more easy to ride. I've rode my friends shee set up with the trinity carb and t-5's and it's got loads of low end..................but put it in the sand agaist someone that knows how to ride (ME 8) ) and it's buh bye sugartits---I'm a whore for top end ;)

balelorf
02-28-2003, 06:32 PM
One of the places I purchase from is showing it out of stock as the entire pipe kit, but Toomey claims 5hp over what the old t-5 made and more bottom end...might be the way to go if they get them in stock any time soon.

mike from long island
03-02-2003, 12:20 AM
i had bought tri-z jims banshee and it had a Dynoport 2 into 1 exhaust. it was a good exhaust. not sure where i gain power but it was different and sounded awesome. then i bought another banshee with motor work with DG pipes and silencers. the pipes were for low to mid range. that was a very fast banshee. fastest quad i ever rode. but it had lots of motor work. i personally installed Toomey on my friends banshee and they added power too. i just put a FMF silencer on my warrior and wow!! added more snap in the throttle. so i personally think what ever appeals to you they are all good in one way or another.