PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Canada Insured????

ClayW
12-29-2005, 11:17 PM
I sold some parts on ebay tonight. In my auction I clearly stated that I ship to the USA only. Well a guy from Canada won the auction. Canada address. I have never shipped to canada. What could I expect the charges to be if I sent it Via USPS. Can I insure the package? Any info would be appreciated. The item is a speedo head. Small and light. Any guestimates would be appreciated. Anything to be carefull about. Thanks

ClayW

3tigers
12-29-2005, 11:24 PM
you can go to USPS.COM and get a quote online.its usually not much more than shipping in the *Edited*.S. insure because that is the only way to track it.you cant get a normal tracking number if it leaves the *Edited*.S. ive been screwed from someone overseas that way and lost out on $400 because ebay favored the buyer.

jeswinehart
12-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Yes, like 3tigers said ,,, tracking is a watse of the money cuz it is only tracked to the border. Well it do show you checked it in a post office I reckon so maybe not a tee-total waste.
About the only thing on your end Clay is that you will hafta fill out a declarations form that the post office will have available but it is pain-less and won't take long to fill out ( plus won't come back to bite you either ).
I put the actual selling price on the paper work that they pay duty on - no more - no less.

Receiving mail takes a wee bit longer from our buddys beyond the border as do them receiving thier parts so be patient,,, I never had any bad deals from across the border.
Not sure on the insurance quiston ,,, the postmaster might be better off for that one.

john

ClayW
12-29-2005, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. I guess I will learn something new.

Howdy
12-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Things to remember for international shipping: Only ship via Air parcel post or Global Priority Mail. Get insurance when ever you can, and get a copy of the customs tag and a recipt from the post office. I can give more packaging advice if needed ( I do a lot of sales to Canada and Europe ). Just let me know.
Howdy

Jeffro33
12-30-2005, 09:13 AM
I had the samething happen to me. I told the person I will not send it outside of the US like the item said in the discription. If he provided me with an address in the US I would send it there if not sorry about his luck. It is to much of a hassle for me to send an $10 item ouside the US.

ClayW
12-30-2005, 10:34 AM
Howdy,

Air Parcel and Global Priority. Where do I go to ship something that way. What could I expect to pay for shipping? Any info would be great.

ClayW

TimSr
12-30-2005, 11:35 AM
Howdy,

Air Parcel and Global Priority. Where do I go to ship something that way. What could I expect to pay for shipping? Any info would be great.

ClayW

Thats all USPS. As 3tigers said, go to USPS.com and it will give you all options and prices for each. You eneter your sip, the country you are shipping to, the weight, and the box measurments. It it easier than making a post on a mesage board. Keep your package no larger than it needs to be, and remember 4 lbs is the magic number for international shipping if at all possible. Airmal Letter is teh best buy, butyou have to be under a certain size, and under 4 lbs.

Howdy
12-30-2005, 12:09 PM
Howdy,

ClayW

Clay, TimSr is correct. www.usps.com will give you a lot of help.
Just go to the international shipping calculator,
Select Canada from the drop down menu.
Being as it was for a speedo head your probably ship it in a box. So Select Box / Package.
Put in the weight. and click continue ( I think that's the name ).
Your shipping rate options will show up on the next page.

If your going to insure it ( I reccommend it ) add $1.30 for each $50 of value.

Example: If the speedo head sold for $63 and the airmail shipping comes back as $7.65. You want to insure it for it's full sale price so you add $2.60 making the total shipping cost to be $10.25 ( $7.65 + $2.60 ). For a little more protection: Being as it sold via Ebay you can create a International shipping label via Ebay & Paypal ( follow the link in ebay ). All you have to do then is print out the label and the customs form. You then affix the proper portion of the print out to the package ( there will be 2 pages ). Of the 2 pages you print out you will need to split the one page in half. 1 half will be the label and the other half will be your reciept. The 2nd page goes to the post office for their records. Once you have it labeled and ready you simply go hand it to the postal worker and leave. This may sound complicated, but it's not bad once you have done it once.
The major benefit of creating a label via ebay / paypal is that they have proof of you paying for the label. This gives you some recourse if the guys says "I never recieved it". Ebay and Paypal will know you DID pay for the label. Takes some stress out of international transactions. ;)
Howdy

MTS
12-30-2005, 02:43 PM
I would just send it parcel post -ground- its cheaper, iv sent many things this way, make the buyer paying Custom's COD...