PDA

View Full Version : AC Help

BLAZERONE22
01-02-2006, 03:50 PM
I have a ford Explorer, the other day my Compressor locked up tight, I think a Oring went bad over the summer and all the coolant lealed out, anyhow I picked up a used compressor and I want to rering everything and install it, is there an oil that I should add before installing it? or is it added when I have the system recharged? thanks

Unclediezel
01-02-2006, 04:37 PM
What year explorer?

BLAZERONE22
01-02-2006, 05:16 PM
It a 94 with a 4.0

Unclediezel
01-02-2006, 05:29 PM
when you install it-fill it with a refrigeration oil compatible with R134a--Ehster based oil---Most shops wont oil charge it unless you specifically ask them too--
You should also change the accumulator/ reciever---Due to any "Carnage" that the compressor may have dumped into the system---Failure to change this WILL trash your new comp in a very short time--so its worth the extra expense

ATC90UK
01-03-2006, 06:50 AM
You dont need to change the hp receiver, you will however need to change the filter/drier unit. This will be full of moisture from when the system was open, and possibly bits of o ring etc. The oil should be added at the same time the system is charged, otherwise the oil will start to pick up moisture from the system which means you will never get it all out when you start vaccing the system down (it is much like brake fluid - it readily absorbs moisture) before adding the refrigerant.
Also, if you have done the work yourself, get it leak tested before you get it charged as it'll save you taking it back again in the event of losing the charge through a small but undetected leak. Either test with nitrogen at a higher working pressure than the system normally runs at, or at least vac it out and see if it will hold a vacuum over a period of time (you can use an old fridge motor, just dont expect a deep vacuum from it.

BLAZERONE22
01-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Thats guys, Heck it looks like I'm going to have to go to ford tech school just to install the darn serpintine belt. Ford wanted almost a grand to do the work. will it hurt the compressor to drive it down to the place where I am going to have it charged?