PDA

View Full Version : 250 sx 1985 transmission final drive ques

sm300z
01-02-2006, 10:50 PM
I am working on a 85 250 sx and I pulled the cover on the left side where the sprocket would go, but since this is a shaft drive it just has a cover with three bolts in it that attatches it to the engine.

Anyways to make a long story short..i pulled this out in an attempt to repair the gears on the right side of the engine that goes to the kick start....

The cover on the left side that i pulled has a shaft that is connected to it as it runs from one side to the other..

however, i cannot get this shaft to thread back thru all the gears....any suggestions PLEASE...i really dont want to split the case on this one

I can get the saft almost all the way in but it likes about half an inch being flush. I can see the shaft as it starts to come thru the rigt side of the engine thru the bearing...this shaft holds the kick start gear on..i cannot get the shaft all the way thru in order to put the kick start gear on it...any help:beer

Tri-ZNate
01-02-2006, 11:02 PM
This happened to me before. we tipped it up on its side and got a big 'ol screw driver. We got the gears lined up using the screw driver and slid the shaft in wiggeling it here and there. Yes it took about a half hour but it finally worked. Unfortuatly we then started it up for 2 seconds which at that time the kick start gearwhich we forgot about decided to jam itself in with the clutches if I remember correctly. Lots of fun. Good Luck :beer