PDA

View Full Version : Painting plastic

kernalklink
01-03-2006, 08:00 PM
So i was given this 89 mojave and it has been painted blue at some time in its life, crappy too! so i tried removing the paint but it is on white plastic and will not come off. any suggestions for removing this old paint. I was sanding but it was putting the blue dust too far into the plastic and leaving it a hazy blue color on the white. then i was using a square razor blade and pulling it across the paint to remove a thin layer of plastic and paint but this only works on flat areas. I would really like to get the blue off completly and use the white fenders as white. but also any suggestions for painting the fender let me know. i dont want to paint because it is never permanent.

I was thinking about media blasting but i dont know anyone who has one, also i would assume anything other than like walnut shells would be too hard on the plastic.

i dont want to spend much money on them; they are racing cut and i mostly forest ride and that isnt really necessary. if i spend much money i will just buy full green factory fenders!

traxxasx
01-03-2006, 08:53 PM
use aircraft paint stripper, or oven cleaner. *Edited* used to soak my plastics in some gas for a day and the paint would just rub off.

penguin
01-03-2006, 11:46 PM
You can buy a paint stripper that is made for painted plastic or bumper covers. I buy it at wallmart in the automotive section. Its like $5 a can. Works great.