PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a GPS...

Dammit!
01-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Any recommendations or things to look out for? Looking at an E-trex Legend C. Probably way more GPS than I need but, I'm the "if some is good, more is better" type. :lol:

Edit: best price I've found on that one is about $235 shipped.

traxxasx
01-04-2006, 12:02 AM
http://www.gpsnow.com/gmetlgc.htm i dunno........

Yamahauler
01-04-2006, 12:34 AM
Garmin Map 60c is a good one I hear. I think its fairly pricey though.
I have heard of a few guys with them, and they have no complaints.
I have a crappy one, a Magellan 310 or something, its a dinosaur, I only use it to find top speeds of my bikes and to see if my speedometers are accurate.

If I were to get another one, I would spend the extra money and make sure its a good one.

TravEX
01-04-2006, 12:57 AM
I have the Etrex Legend, not sure what the C is for. They are under $200 at walmarts now. The Legend is a great GPS, very suited for atving and hunting. Lots of options, and the maps are great for road trips, even has interstate exits info for gas and food and other services. I completely relied on my GPS when I net up with 3leggeddog for the trade. Found my gas stations and food exits from the GPS.

We even used the area calculating function to plant our food plants for the deer.

Yamahauler
01-04-2006, 12:59 AM
I have the Etrex Legend, not sure what the C is for. They are under $200 at walmarts now. The Legend is a great GPS, very suited for atving and hunting. Lots of options, and the maps are great for road trips, even has interstate exits info for gas and food and other services. I completely relied on my GPS when I net up with 3leggeddog for the trade. Found my gas stations and food exits from the GPS.
Thats sounds pretty good.
Does it have Canadian maps too?

Dammit!
01-04-2006, 01:03 AM
The "C" just stands for Color instead of a grayscale display.

TravEX
01-04-2006, 01:05 AM
COMPLETE North and South America maps! It's pretty awesome. I know there are better ones out there, but for under $200, it's great. Had mine for acouple years. The only accessory I have is the 12V adapter, so I never have to worry bout batteries when a 12V source is near.

Yamahauler
01-04-2006, 01:06 AM
COMPLETE North and South America maps! It's pretty awesome. I know there are better ones out there, but for under $200, it's great. Had mine for acouple years. The only accessory I have is the 12V adapter, so I never have to worry bout batteries when a 12V source is near.
Hmm, Im going to have to look into one of these....
Thanks for the info

TravEX
01-04-2006, 01:08 AM
The "C" just stands for Color instead of a grayscale display.
Sweet!!! That might be worth the extra $$$!!!

TravEX
01-04-2006, 01:23 AM
I just checked ebay, $155 shipped for the Legend, $80 difference.

renotrikeguy
01-04-2006, 10:04 AM
Let me say the Legend is a good unit. I use mine for lots of things. And it even is capable of connecting to your pc. That way you can download your waypoints.

Chris

TravEX
01-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Have you gotten one yet? I forgot to mention the 'geocache' craze. A cool hobby, you search for a 'cache' box when given the coordinates and clues.

http://www.geocaching.com/

Plug in your zipcode and see how many are around you. They are in public places, places you have to hike to, places you can ride to, right along the road. Pretty cool. Me and my wife and little girl have done a couple, it's fun.

Dammit!
02-01-2006, 12:04 AM
I'm putting it off a little longer. I basically want it just for when I'm riding my trikes and since none of them are running, kinda pointless to buy a GPS. :lol: