PDA

View Full Version : Professional sellers I Need Advice!

danteross77
01-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Well I have decided to part with one of my projects and part it out on ebay. Yesterday I listed the rear axle. It is in great shape, straight and true, clean threads, nice splines so heres the problem...
With in the last day I have had 2 people who want me to sell them the axle right away, so I told both of them to make me an offer. The first gut comes back with $35 plus shipping, the second guy hasn't replyed yet. I have 10 watcher on this auction. First off what do you think a fair buy it now price? I know a new one sells for over $200, what should a good used one sell for? Also what about the other 10 watchers? What should I do? I really need the money, December was a horrible month for me, so I don't want to sell myself short. I mean if I wanted to haggle with people over price I would have put it in the classifed section of the forum right? Ebay to me is like gambling, from a seller perspective. Me being a very conservative gambler I pay the $1 to list, and list it for the least I will take for it and sometime thats all I get and sometimes I might get alot more. Should I just tell these 2 to bid on it if they want it?

wanta250r
01-04-2006, 05:34 PM
What model does the axle come from? I usually never end auctions early. You could get a lot more money than you think if you let everyone bid on it. Especially with 10 watchers, you should let that auction play out. Thats what I think. Most of the time people that ask you to end the auction early are just trying to get it for a lower price......

Howdy
01-04-2006, 05:37 PM
I say let the auction run and let the bidders set the final selling price. I sell on ebay myself and I state right in the auction that I do not end my auctions early. Here is what I have in the auction:
http://www.bright.net/~4howdy/Auction1.jpg

Ending a auction early is basically telling the other potential bidders that they are not good enough. Not only that it is against Ebay Policy. You can read more about this in the email they send you with each PM ( on Ebay ).

From such Email:

Is this message an offer to buy your item directly through email without winning the item on eBay? If so, please help make the eBay marketplace safer by reporting it to us. These "outside of eBay" transactions may be unsafe and are against eBay policy. Learn more about trading safely.
-- http://pages.ebay.com/securitycenter/selling_safely.html

Howdy

x.system
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
I'm not a professional but heres what I do. I start everything at 9.99 and if its something I don't want to loose money on I put a reserve on it. Let everything else go. The better your pics are, the more bids you will get, also the more pics you put in the listing, showing all the angles the better. Close ups are also great on common wear spots. Don't try to hide anything and give an honest description without putting your part down, nobody wants to buy something you yourself thinks is a piece of junk.

I've ended maybe 5 auctions in the last 4 years on average parts that I knew what they would sell for. I wouldn't end that auction for that little money he's offering. He will bid that much to win it. You have 10 watchers in one day? thats pretty good and you will probably get twice that by the time it ends.

thats my 2 cents

Jim

danteross77
01-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Thanks for the advice, Once again you guys have been very helpful, I was leaning to what you guys just verifyed, just wanted to get others take on it with more experience. I don't want to be accused of hoarding parts, I like to think I have helped people get back on the trail, but I want to make some cash too, I can sit on my butt and watch the Rose Bowl and not make money, why would I want to work and not make money! Go Horns!!

TimSr
01-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Youve got to ask yourself, why do they want me to end it early and sell direct to them when they could just enter a bid? They may just be in a hurry to get the part, but 99% of the time, they have been watching other auctions and are hoping you are dumb enough to give it away for much less than they know it will go for if they have to compete with other bidders.