PDA

View Full Version : Trike Hauler help

MichiganRedneck
01-05-2006, 10:51 AM
My trike hauler, a 1995 Ford Ranger is running crappy. its got a 2.3 liter in it, 123k miles. i was driving it the other day to school and the truck started jumping and jolting like crazy. i shut the lights and the heat off and it stopped. so, whenever you put a load on the electrical system, it starts to jump. i put all new plugs and wires in it with no effect. ive heard that i could have a bad ground, or a weak alternator. Any thoughts?? Suggestions? Could it be weak or defective coil packs? they are original. i need to get my truck running right. i have nothing to haul my trike with without it. please guys, tell me what to do! :wondering

zeus8807
01-05-2006, 01:56 PM
i've never heard of something like that happening thru the electrical that wasnt showing itself on the battery guage as losing power or highly charging, but it wont hurt to check, if you have a advanced auto parts or i think napa does it to, you can have your alternator checked for free, just take it off and drive in(if you have another vehicle lol) is your battery gauge reading draning, normal or charging? i have the manuals heere for both the explorer and the ranger(very similar as far as mechincal goes, thou the explorer never got the 2.3l) and neither says anything that could happen electrical wise unless your lossing power, which you didnt say you were. after you get the alternator checked, if it turns out good, my next step would probably be to call a garage and just ask them if they have heard of anything like it, its saved me alot of time and money in some cases just to ask a garage if they have seen or heard anything like it before. often time it just plain turns out a heck of alot easier to call:wondering

o yeah, also you can check your coil pack with a simple multimeter using ohm's setting, , just disconnect it all, take it off and check the primary and secondary resistance of it.

MichiganRedneck
01-05-2006, 04:23 PM
thanks for the help zues. well, when it is running, i turn the lights or the heat on and the battery quage drops off dramtically and then slowly rises back up. is that the alternator acting up? thanks for any help

zeus8807
01-05-2006, 05:09 PM
it could be the alternator, like i said most places will test it for free, i would check the belt on the alternator make sure thats tight and on there properly, and then check the cables make sure their tight, then check all the fuses and links for it in the fuse box, if all checks out well, i would take it in to be tested, with my expeirence of fords, the alternator isnt what usually fails its the voltage regulator which can be replaced, and most places will be able to tell you if thats it when its tested. thou if it is recharging the alternator is still working to some function, if its draining the battery when you turn things on it could account for the bumps and jolts, of the engine getting incosistant power flow, i know with my explorer it can be tempermental when i have to many electrical units on it will start to ride rougher. but check all that and see what comes out of it, only thing it will cost you to check all that is the gas money to get to the auto store to have it tested.

MichiganRedneck
01-05-2006, 11:39 PM
thanks alot zues, youve been a big help :w00t:

zeus8807
01-06-2006, 12:32 AM
no problem just hope it helps, i've been thru electrical issue after electrical issue with my explorer practically have the whole electrical system replaced in it now, seems to be fords major downfall is their electrical:lol:

MichiganRedneck
01-07-2006, 08:11 PM
well zues, you were right. it was the alternator. i pulled it off and got it tested, sure enough, it was bad. i put the new one on and it purrs like a kitten. :) :beer
Thanks for the help!!!

zeus8807
01-07-2006, 11:51 PM
:beer glad *Edited* figured it out:beer