PDA

View Full Version : Muzzleloaders

BLAZERONE22
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey guys I'm thinking about buying my dad a muzzleloader for his birthday, can anyone recommend a decent gun for around 3 or 4 hundred? thanks...

chris200x
01-06-2006, 05:17 PM
knight inline muzzloaders are about the best and easiest to use.

Chrisbroeders
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
i have a new cva break action.. its the best muzzelloader ive owned by far

TimSr
01-06-2006, 06:19 PM
If he plans on using it for hunting, check your state's hunting regulations first. Some states dont allow the inline type for their primitive weapons season. Pa. used to allow flintlock only, but dont know if thats still true. Some can be loaded in teh breech, and are not legal in some states (for hunting). Also, it depends on his taste. Some guys shun the modern type as they are looking to experience hunting with a primitive replica. Others are just looking for additional days in the field and want is legal and most efficient.
The best way to buy anything like this this that you are not familiar with is to go to a shop that specializes in blackpower guns and is staffed with knowledgeable enthiasts. In other words, avoid the sporting goods section of Wall-Mart or KMart, unless you know exactly what you want.

Wickedfinger
01-06-2006, 06:34 PM
.... to echo Tims words ... I would research it first - at the very least go buy the Gun Digest 2006. A local weapons shop would be your best choice. Strike up a conversation with one of the counter persons and tell them what you're looking to do. They are going to know the state hunting laws the best. I would have also have some basic knowledge as well - both of Muzzle loaders and your dads tastes.

chris200x
01-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Yea Tim they just started with the in lines here in Pa. not too long ago. Personally blazer I would get the old man a primative flintlock and one of those daniel boone racoon hats. :lol:

The flintlocks are much more challinging for hunting. I've alreay seen guys out hunting in the rain with there new inlines. :rolleyes: you surly wont be doing that with a primitive muzzleloader.

Both have there pro's and cons though. With the newer inlines all the powder comes in pre measured pellets that you just slide in before the slug. very very easy to use. But it takes away from the nostagia thingy. you know what i mean.

Let us know how it goes though. :beer

BLAZERONE22
01-07-2006, 12:49 PM
Well he's been wanting to go Elk hunting with one for a while but never really got into it. so I figure buying him a muzzleloader would give him a little shove, hell I've got him to parasail down in Cabo last year, lol I does rain and snow quite a bit during the season so I'll want something modern, I'll head down to our local shop today and check them out. I just wanted to know some basics so I would'nt be the guy looking for a new powerband for a 84 250r....:beer

okieRrider
01-07-2006, 03:33 PM
Thompson Center is a great brand also. They have inline models and also the side lock models. I have a thompson center side lock and have used in the rain to hunt. I put a balloon around the barrel to seal it and put a used toy cap over the nipple until i get to the spot and put a cap in.....Good Luck

corndawg
01-08-2006, 01:20 AM
thompson center Omega ....awsome gun

ThreeWheeling
01-08-2006, 01:23 AM
To knock down an elk I would go with nothing smaller then a 58 cal. Just my opinon, I use a 50 cal for whitetail and thinking of going to a larger cal.

Jim

Mike_Ham_250R
01-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Thompson Centre inline Black Diamond?? i think its called, we have one.

atvnut
01-13-2006, 06:07 AM
cva optima pro.....Im VERY happy with mine!

eastwind
01-14-2006, 09:49 PM
I have a .50 cal Knight inline. I hunt deer, elk + moose with it. I use 240 grain bullets for deer + 300 grain bullets for moose + elk. I can shoot accurately out to 150 yard.

Meat-BoX
01-15-2006, 08:11 PM
I have a Brand new Never Used TC Black Diamond 50 cal here. Synthetic Stock and all that. Taken out of the Box for the Pics. This is a Model that accepts both Types of Bullets and is accurate up to 200 Yards. It will knock down any Big Game your Going after for sure.
I see the dude on TV who uses TC Black Powder Guns on most of his hunts. Took a Grizzly with one way to close for Comfort but it dropped. He had 2 dudes with rifles for backup though.

The gun is real good with fiber optic sights and ready for a Scope and all that and the Price is real good. Plus the Sabots that TC makes make it a real Accurate Gun at a pretty long distance. Its pretty Light allso. Heres some pics.

BLAZERONE22
01-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah that Black diamond is what I'm going to get him. he's gonna dig it.... I bought him a Metal detector for Xmas and my mother says I'm on her - - - -
list, I guess he has been digging like a gopher...